Possible to install 2011 BL Keyboard in 2010 MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by 2IS, Sep 25, 2011.

1. 2IS
    macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2011
    Just wondering if anyone knows if this will work?
  2. macrumors 601

Oct 3, 2006
  3. macrumors 6502

Oct 14, 2008
    not worth it.. just replace your old air with the new air.
  4. macrumors 65816

Dec 31, 2008
    And if he dosent have the money?

And as for if its possible, it may be, but I think it would require quite a bit of work. Id look on websites such as ifixit to see if they have anything that could help you.
  5. 2IS
    thread starter macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2011
    So if someone breaks a key on the keyboard, your advise is to buy a new mac? For all you know it could be a simple swap, which is essentially what I'm asking.
  6. macrumors 65816

Jan 8, 2008
    Tampa, Florida

The 2011 Air includes extra connectors to power and control the backlighting system, in addition to the ambient light sensor in the display assembly. So while it may be possible, it is not easy or cost effective to do. You would have to purchase a new upper case (unibody+keyboard+trackpad), new display assembly, and somehow magic a connector onto the logic board. Not to put you off, but it's really not feasible.
  7. macrumors 6502

Aug 9, 2006
    That was not the question you asked. Had you asked "how do I replace a broken keyboard" then you would have gotten the right answer. It is possible but by the time you are done you basically paid for a new MBA. If you want to replace a keyboard with a 2010 model that is another issue.
  8. 2IS
    thread starter macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2011
    No it's not what I asked, but I also don't know what is involved which is why I posed the question. For all I knew it could have been a simple "drop in" replacement just as a 2010 keyboard would be.

MultiFinder17 provided the details I was looking for (thanks) vs an over simplified "go buy a 2011 mba" answer. Now that I know it's more involved than I was hoping, I'll just stick with my 2010.