Possible to install OS X on external hard drive? Help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by charlestrippy, Nov 11, 2006.

1. charlestrippy macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

Okay, so I have a MBP and most of you may/may not have the same issues:

I'm trying to put Final Cut Pro on my computer and there just isn't enough room on my internal hard drive of my MBP...what I'd like to do is I have an extra 160gb hard drive and i'd like to install FCP on that hard drive but it needs to have OS X installed on it...

My question:

Is it possible (if so, how) to install OS X on an external hard drive then install FCP onto it and run it from there (so I don't use up any of my internal hard drive space - the external drive is firewire so it'll run pretty fast i'm assuming)? Will I have to boot into the external hard drive (using the Option key like you would boot camp?)

Thank you very much - I really need the help on this so I can complete this school project!!

Thanks!!!

ps - if this has been asked before - I apologize!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, that should be fine and yeah, you'll have to use OPTION to boot from it. :)

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Yes, the install disc will recognize it and the OS will be installed. And you can also go to System Preferences > Startup Disk and choose the disk to start from. It's a lot of easier to do it this way than by holding down option.

4. buzzert macrumors newbie

Hmm, I seem to remember reading somewhere that it must be a Firewire External HD.

I actually did this with Leopard, developer preview. Works fine, but REMEMBER: if you're on an intel Mac, format the external HD using the GUID partition table. You can do this in Disk Utility (probably use it on the OSX DVD) click on the partitions tab, then "Options" then click the radio button that says "GUID Partition table". VERY important.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't think it matters with the new Intel machines. I think they can boot from USB, but I could be wrong. I guess it's a moot point since charlestrippy's drive has a Firewire connection.

Excellent point that. :cool:

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yes, the new Intel Macs will boot from an external USB drive that has been set up correctly.

However, I would stick with a Firewire drive since it will be faster.

7. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

okay I seem to be having an issue (getting an error)

first: I erase the hard drive
    [​IMG]

after that I click on "partition tab" and click options and select GUID:
    [​IMG]

then it looks like it's working but then I get this error:

[​IMG]

any ideas what I may be doing incorrectly?

thanks again for the help!

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hopefully the disk isn't wrecked. :eek:

Maybe try formatting it with the OS 9 driver box unchecked.

9. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

okay i'll try - now do I need to erase it first - then click partition and repartition it to 1 partition with GUID selected? is there a way to select the GUID selection first? because it always seems to format to Apple Partition Map..

the disk should be fine - it runs otherwise perfectly...

10. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

yeah - same error? any ideas? I clicked for the hell of it "master boot record" and that partition fine - so does the apple partition map....just the GUID one does not? Could it be that it is currently plugged in via USB (I lost my firewire cable...)?