Possible to open WordPerfect file with AppleWorks?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cleo, Oct 22, 2004.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

An organization I've begun working with uses WordPerfect (not sure what version - .wpd extension). Is there any way to get AppleWorks to recognize these files?

2. DavidCar macrumors 6502a

I just checked, and I cannot open a .wpd with Appleworks 6.2.9, or with TextEdit.

3. DavidCar macrumors 6502a

Googling on Appleworks and .wpd turned up only complaints and no solutions. One comment mentioned that Nisus Writer Express opens .wpd files perfectly. Google that to find a downloadable trial version.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Used to be in the claris version, and I could almost swear I saw the newer MacLink translators for AppleWorks sitting in one of the translator folders after doing a search.

Heck I even used it to open some .wpd files.

But since reinstalling/updating all the software on the machine, the wpd translator is gone.

---

Which basically leaves the full version of MacLink Plus instead of the MacLink and/or Claris XTND widget Apple used to include. :(

5. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Oy, what a pain. It does seems like there are a *lot* of people out there with this problem... I wonder why some good (smart) soul doesn't write a translator?

Anyway, thank you all for the education. I opted to use Adobe's online .pdf creator, because they give you 5 free conversions and I need the info in that file to do some work this weekend. In the future I guess I'll have to get my colleagues to try to remember to save as rich text. Bleh.

Thanks again.