Possible to partition the memory into three sections?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Ojitos84, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Ojitos84, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

macrumors newbie

Hi, I am new here. I just ordered the ultimate MacBook air last night and I am trying to plan out how I should spread out the memory wisely on it with win 7. My first initial thought was to so spread them equally 128gb each. But I was wondering if there is a way to maybe put 64gb on each and leave 128gb free for both OSs to access? Will windows and Mac automatically find the free space if I partition the hard drive in three sections? This would be perfect in case I wanna access the same files on either OS.

2. macrumors 65816

torbjoern

You can partition your drive into as many sections as you like. Make sure that the partition to be shared between Windows and Mac OS X has a file system which is readable by both OSes.

3. macrumors member

.Max.

Eg. Not Mac OS Journaled but FAT should do :)

4. macrumors regular

FAT32 actually.

It's readable and writeable by both windows and os x, but you're limited to 4GB files or less.

5. macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Or you could download a program that will allow your Mac to do ntfs and that would be best. ;-)

6. macrumors regular

exFAT

or exFAT as an alternative. It does not have the 4Gb file size limit.

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I will try it when I get the laptop. :D

8. macrumors G4

x2 on ExFAT. It is specifically designed by Microsoft for flash storage, and both OS X and Windows 7 can read and write to it without extra software. It's essentially "FAT64."