Possible to print from XP notebook through Mac mini?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DVDSP, Apr 14, 2006.

1. DVDSP macrumors regular

My mom needs to print Word files from her XP notebook but doesn't want to have to connect to the printer that is currently connected to a Mac mini. She refuses to get Word for the Mac (she's just being a PITA). Is it possible to share the printer so that she can print from the notebook? She's got wireless cards in everything so that won't be a problem.

If not can you suggest a work around for printing her unprintable Word files from the Mac? Is there a format she could save her Word file to that will open in OS X(without any weird formatting or other issues)?

Thanks in advance,

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Get PDF995 http://www.pdf995.com and go to PDF?

I have the reverse case (printer on the XP box Mac lappy), so I can't help much with the printer sharing. Samba should do a decent job though...

B

3. After G macrumors 68000

After G

You can make the printer shareable over your home network. It's been forever since I've done it, but you can have it so that the printer is still attached to the Mac Mini, and then access it with your other computers through your home network.

What I remember about it; may be wrong, someone please add/correct me

Typing "localhost:631" in your web browser should get you to the CUPS printer server on the Mac Mini.

From there, you add another printer, that is just like your printer, except with the RAW driver instead of your printer's driver.

Then from the Windows computer, set up a networked printer.

The address will look something like 192.168.0.1:631/printer

where 192.168.0.1 is the network addy of the Mac Mini and printer is the name of the printer you made in CUPS.

Use the Windows driver that is for your printer, and all should go well.

4. DVDSP thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, this seems like the best route. However, I'm trying to do this but when I click 'Add Printer' it says I need to log in to the area "CUPS" and asks for my name and password. What do I use?

I have never done this, is it pretty straight forward? If so, I should have no trouble.

Good thinking, I'll go this route if I can't get the printing to work.

5. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

I don't think you have to make a new printer anymore (if you have Tiger) ...I didn't have to.

Step 1: Turn on printer sharing on the Mini
    Step 2: On the PC you should choose add new network printer
    Step 3: Choose the check box next to "connect to printer over internet"
    Step 4: Put the line below as your address (substituting the Mini's IP address for the XX.XX.XXX.XX)

Code:
    http://xxx.xxx.x.xx:631/printers/[i]thePrinterName
    ----don't forget the :631 after the IP[/i]

my printer name happens to be HL_1440_Series ...you should be able to find it if you go to the CUPS configuration page >link> http://127.0.0.1:631/printers it would be the name right above the pic of the printer.)

6. DVDSP thread starter macrumors regular

OK, I did everything here correctly (I think) but I still am not getting anything to print from the notebook. However, on the Mac in the print queue and when I look at the CUPS page it shows that the print jobs from the notebook are complete. So I know I'm getting a connection somewhere along the line, it's just not resulting in printing.

Any suggestions?

Also, while I was there I went into Pages Help to see if it will open Word docs and according to what I found it will. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks again,

7. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

Did you choose the correct printer driver on the XP machine? What kind of printer is it?

Yes, I think pages opens word documents. I know for a fact that TextEdit in Tiger opens Word documents. Although if they have advanced formatting the formatting can get screwed up. If they are simple documents you shouldn't have a problem.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Bonjour "should" simplify things. It adds a Printer Setup Utility to Windows, which should be able to see the shared printer on the Mac.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Good call, that really should help!

Pages has definitely opened every Word file I've thrown at it and I've even written documents in Pages, and saved then in Word DOC format and sent them on to unsuspecting Word users without a hitch.

B

10. DVDSP thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry for the slooow reply

I finally got everything working on Sunday.

I updated the drivers on the XP notebook, still no printing. Bonjour worked great at finding the printer but I ended up with the same situation described above. Then last week I saw this hint at Mac OS X Hints. Basically, it says use Bonjour but don't choose your printer's driver, instead choose 'Generic Postscript'. I tried that out and everything worked fine.

Thanks for all of your help, my mom is ecstatic.