Possible to remove/clean ipod nano 2nd gen clickwheel

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Cyanyde, Aug 1, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2008
    I recently purchased a broken ipod nano 2nd gen to use for parts to fix another one but was surprised to find the only thing wrong with it was the center/action button is not working. I reset it but it still did not work so i opened it to find that the previous user had gotten sand inside it so i cleaned out the sand. I put my other hard drive inside it to test the button and it is definitely the middle button not working and not the hardware itself. I figure some grains of sand may be preventing the center button from working although i am not positive as i do not know exactly how it works. So i was wondering if there are any guides/videos to taking apart the click wheel out there for a 2nd gen nano. I figure if it cannot be easily fixed i either now have a "nano shuffle" OR i can just buy a remote for it. Any links/advice? Thanks!
  2. macrumors 6502

Apr 21, 2008
    West Sussex, England, UK
    Try searching google or youtube, how did he get sand that deep into it?
  3. macrumors 68030

Jul 18, 2004
    The Mergui Archipelago
  4. macrumors newbie

Sep 4, 2008
    I'm trying to replace a busted clickwheel/audio jack in a 2nd gen myself, and unfortunately the iFixIt guide does not have a set of instructions for that piece.

Their 1st gen Nano guide does, which is a shame. I think I will be winging it tonight, as the thing can't get any worse than the completely broken it already is.
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2008
    If there was answers on that site or google i would have never posted here.

Let me know if it works out for you BooDoo. I don't want to attempt it myself because its only the action button not working so i figure if i cant clean it at least i have a $5 nano shuffle now lol