Possible to replace zip drive with HD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 8thMan, May 4, 2006.

1. 8thMan macrumors regular

8thMan

I have a DA G4 Powermac. Both hard drive bays are full, but I would like to install an additional hard drive, if possible. Could I disconnect the (useless) zip drive, and hook up a hard drive to its power and data connectors? Would that work? I realize that there is no "bay" for it but I'm sure that I could rig some place to mount it if it were electronically compatible. Thanks.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'd be more concerned with the powersupply and it's ability to supply power to all those drives (mobo etc) simultaneously.

3. 8thMan thread starter macrumors regular

8thMan

Yeah, that makes sense, particularly since I've already upgraded the CPU and the video card. Thanks.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I think it is possible. As long as the Zip drive is IDE. The last thing to look up is how many devices the IDE controller in the G4 can handle. For some reason I'm thinking 2 HD's is the max, but I'm about 20% sure.

5. 8thMan thread starter macrumors regular

8thMan

I think I might be better off installing an ATA card and running an additional drive from that.

6. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

Would the IDE bus that the ZIP drive and CD Drive are on be ATA33 or something like that? Wouldn't that mean that it's waaay too slow for a hard drive?