possible to shut down right after fresh OS install?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aliste, Nov 14, 2006.

1. aliste macrumors newbie

Oct 18, 2006
    (Hi. First post; happy Apple consumer since 1983.)

Okay, briefly, my question is, after erasing a hard drive and installing a fresh copy of 10.4, is it possible to shut the computer down before going to the restart with the welcome video and setup sequence? (And then, the next time the computer is started up it would do the welcome & setup.)

Not so briefly: I ask because I just bought my new MacBook last Wednesday (whoo!) and now I'm selling the G3 iBook I upgraded from. Last night I was getting it ready for its new life; I securely erased the hard drive and then did a fresh install from the Tiger DVD. I wanted to shut it down after the install so when the person who buys it starts it up for the first time, it begins with the welcome sequence just as it does when it's brand-new out of the box. I don't know if there's an option, when the install finishes, to choose to shut down rather than restart because I went out of the room for a few minutes to play with the MacBook and when I came back the welcome video was already playing.

So now the computer is stuck on the opening "choose your language" screen of the setup sequence. I don't seem to be able to shut it down from here--holding down the power key doesn't work, nor do the keyboard shortcuts to shut down immediately or to call up the shut down/restart dialog box. Obviously I don't want to advance through the setup to get to the desktop where I can shut it down, because then I would be forced to create a user account and that would kind of defeat the purpose of an absolutely fresh install. I also now wonder whether, even if I could shut it down safely at this point, it would restart from the beginning of the video.

I know that in a way it's not really important to see the video--the new owner will still get full functionality by beginning at the setup screen--but I always love turning on a new Mac for the first time and seeing that monolithic X rise up (yeah, I'm a dork), and I'd like to preserve that for the next person who uses it, if I can. I'll re-do the whole installation process if I have to...but I'd rather not, so--any help? Thanks!
  2. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Jan 27, 2005
    Just keep pushing that power key, it should shut down.
    I do mostly shut down before getting to the language screen after OS instalation.

You will get to see the entire welcome movie when you boot the computer after this.
  3. aliste thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 18, 2006

Heh, I really did try pressing the power button before, but I guess I didn't hold it down long enough. :eek: It's off now, though. Thanks!