Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2015
What options do I have?

My iPhone 5c (blue) only has 8GB of storage and I really would like to have 16GB.

It doesn't look like Apple is ever going to release a new c-model because of all the cool kids out there buying 700,- phones.
Last month I had the opportunity to use/test an iPhone 6 for a while via my sisters boss but it's totally not a phone for me. It's thin, feels fragile and is very slippery in your hand because of the very round corners/edges.

Upgrading to an 5s or 6 isn't an option for me. I like the fact my iPhone 5c is made of plastic, isn't the thinnest and feature rich phone in the world. I don't need all those specs. I just need a phone that works, is durable, comfy in your hand and integrates best software wise with my Mac and iPad. iPhone would be the most logic step when it comes to this but I'm totally not going to buy some of those aluminum iPhones Apple has created over the last few years.

What I was thinking. Maybe there is a chance I could buy some memory or logic board replacement part and let it install in my current 5c to upgrade the memory to 16GB?
Would something like that be possible or is it all patched software wise. I mean, Apple has sold 16 and 32GB models of those phones in the beginning so there most be replacement parts on the market for those models.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
What options do I have?

My iPhone 5c (blue) only has 8GB of storage and I really would like to have 16GB.

It doesn't look like Apple is ever going to release a new c-model because of all the cool kids out there buying 700,- phones.
Last month I had the opportunity to use/test an iPhone 6 for a while via my sisters boss but it's totally not a phone for me. It's thin, feels fragile and is very slippery in your hand because of the very round corners/edges.

Upgrading to an 5s or 6 isn't an option for me. I like the fact my iPhone 5c is made of plastic, isn't the thinnest and feature rich phone in the world. I don't need all those specs. I just need a phone that works, is durable, comfy in your hand and integrates best software wise with my Mac and iPad. iPhone would be the most logic step when it comes to this but I'm totally not going to buy some of those aluminum iPhones Apple has created over the last few years.

What I was thinking. Maybe there is a chance I could buy some memory or logic board replacement part and let it install in my current 5c to upgrade the memory to 16GB?
Would something like that be possible or is it all patched software wise. I mean, Apple has sold 16 and 32GB models of those phones in the beginning so there most be replacement parts on the market for those models.

I very much doubt it is possible, in fact I would go as far as to say it's not possible, to upgrade the storage in an iPhone. If you want to upgrade your best bet is to either get a 5S or a 6/6S and get a case for it.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Upgrading the memory in your 5C would be a first for sure. You would have to have special equipment for sure and not sure that even that would make it possible. If you want more memory you need to move to another model.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I'd suggest hitting up eBay. Lots of decent priced 16GB/32GB 5c. You'll pay just as much to actually get your current device open and upgrade the chip. I'm seeing some as low as $180.

Oh and the 5c was my first iPhone. I've still got my blue 32GB that I'll never part with. It's by far my favorite device. How I wish a 6c with touch ID would eventually show up...

DynamicSausage

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2015
Leicestershire, UK
I know you say you don't want an iPhone 6 but hear me out...

The 5C is literally just an iPhone 5 in a plastic shell. If you want some kind of "6C" model then the only real option is to go ahead and buy a 6. I know you said you don't like the feel but an but the Apple cases would probably give you the size, durability and feel that you're looking for. Something to consider.

If that suggestion hasn't even swayed you a little bit then your only real option is to buy another 5C. Once you get one you could sell the one you have now. There's your logic board replacement without tearing phones apart. :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'd suggest hitting up eBay. Lots of decent priced 16GB/32GB 5c. You'll pay just as much to actually get your current device open and upgrade the chip. I'm seeing some as low as $180.
^^^This.

If you want another 5c, eBay, Gazelle, craigslist, some other third party is your only option. Apple doesn't make/sell the 5c anymore.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2015
Oh and the 5c was my first iPhone. I've still got my blue 32GB that I'll never part with. It's by far my favorite device. How I wish a 6c with touch ID would eventually show up...

Yep, before this 5c I still owned a first gen. iPhone running iOS 3 that I only used for calling and texting. When I bought the 5c about a year ago I was more than happy with the specs.
8GB looked like it was enough for me, I never use much memory but apps and iOS have gone so wild. Looks like developers simply don't care about how loaded their apps are. It's not their problem.

Best would've been an iPhone 6c - in iPod colors that looked like the new iPod touch with iPhone 5s specs. It could also have replaced the 5s model.

The 5C is literally just an iPhone 5 in a plastic shell. If you want some kind of "6C" model then the only real option is to go ahead and buy a 6. I know you said you don't like the feel but an but the Apple cases would probably give you the size, durability and feel that you're looking for. Something to consider.

No it's not about the specs, 5c has good/solid specs for what I do with a phone. I just don't want to wrap a phone in covers and cases out of fear it will break some day or to make it thicker.

I think I'll search online if someone is selling a 16GB model, maybe one with a broken screen - after that I'll find someone who's willing to switch hardware for me.
Thanks.

DynamicSausage

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2015
Leicestershire, UK
Fair enough, but honestly, swapping hardware is going to be a lot more heartache than it's worth and will likely cause more trouble than good. Buy a 16GB and sell on your 8GB, You'll come out a lot better off.

Reactions: CE3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.