Possible Trade-Need Advice

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by pcuserx, Apr 8, 2003.

1. pcuserx macrumors member

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Re: Possible Trade-Need Advice

Seems odd to me. If he has a really good pc laptop, why wouldn't he just sell that on ebay, buy an emac new, and keep the extra money? Also, how much do you know about PCs? When you check out the laptop, will you be able to tell whether it's in as good shape as the seller says?

Sounds like you're getting a very good deal... which always makes me suspicious. :)

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

First, find out which model Toshiba Satellite laptop he is referring to (get model number, etc.).

Second, see what the laptop sells for now.

Third, find out how old the laptop actually is, and get EXACT specifications (speed, memory amount, etc).

The no warranty statement means it is at least a year old, OR he purchased it as a refurbished unit.

If it was me, I wouldn't trade with someone over ebay UNLESS you get the laptop first, confirm ALL of the specifications and have a tech take a look at it. I would also make sure that EVERYTHING that the pc laptop comes with (for new versions) is included with what he is sending you.

The part that concerns me the most is the lack of the warranty... Essentially, if it arrives and dies a week later, you're screwed.

How old is your eMac? Does it have AppleCare on it?

4. pcuserx thread starter macrumors member

My emac is a month old without applecare.

The seller did sell it on ebay. He allowed me a $1600 value on my eMac and $400. Unfortunetly I got snipped at the last second for $2000 and lost. (It's a $3000 computer). So that's out of the question.

I'm trying to find ibooks and powerbooks now. Sorry to waste all your time. BTW should I shell out my eMac, all my money in my bank account, and loan some cash from my father to get a 12" PB? I need a long term computer, to last me about 4 years as my main and only system.

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

IF you want a system that will last for the ~4 year term, get a PowerMac tower.

With the tower, you will be able to upgrade parts of it as technology advances and the minimum specifications change. If you get the PB, you are essentially locked into what the system has. The only things you can change (inside the PB) is the hard drive and memory amounts. The video card is part of the logic board, as is the processor, so you can forget about future upgrades there.

I'd advise to keep the eMac for now, get a JOB and save every penny to purchase a svelte tower.

Oh, and DO get AppleCare for the eMac before your 1 year warranty runs out. Also get it for the tower, or any other Mac, when you purchase the system.

6. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

12" powerbook is a bad choice for a 4 year machine. 15" with the 1GHz and the L3 cache is much safer for the long. the programs you are going to be running in 2-4 yrs are only going to be bigger, more complex, and more processor dependant than what you have now. the 12" PB is basically a pretty iBook. it's not much more powerfull. if i was you, i would get the 1GHz 15" with 1GB or RAM and a combo drive:

http://www.macconnection.com/scripts/productdetail.asp?product_id=322032

7. pcuserx thread starter macrumors member

I wish. But maybe I can find a trader on eBay.

Just facts about resources and problems:
    -I already have an emac
    -I have to pay $53 each month for it, right now my father is paying as a birthday gift, I think this month is the last
    -I have $140 in the bank
    -I am selling my other desktop in a store, expecting $200-300 for it
    -I could possibly loan up to $100 extra
    -all figuares are in CND

So saying to me "get a powermac" or "get a brand new powerbook for $4000" is unrealitic. Lol.

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

9. pcuserx thread starter macrumors member

I'm 15 years old, hate work, and need to concentrate on education right now.

10. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Being 15 is no excuse. Ever hear of a paper route?? Takes only a short amount of time, and you get paid.

As for hating work, TFB, get used to it.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

my home office is filling with tears.

i started working at 12 to put myself through college (which i did). if you're feeling that entitled to have things handed to you, i suggest you go volunteer in a soup kitchen.

getting some perspective is a _great_ way to educate yourself.

12. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Agreed, 100%.

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Enough already with the moralizing and the "when I was your age..." speeches. It gets old.

As to the issue at hand: I'd say keep the emac for now. Don't worry about trading up just yet. The emac isn't amazingly fast, but it's not too bad either. I'm typing on a 600 mhz ibook with 8 vram, and it runs what I want just fine. You don't need some top of the line g4 tower unless you're a professional. Worry about replacing the emac when it no longer does what you need it to do. It's a good machine.

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

but there was only one! :)