Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-Want-Apples

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Hey!

I'm pretty close to making my decision on getting an iPad, but before I do, I want to think about everything I will need. So, I was hoping to get some advice from those of you that have already purchased your iPad and know what works, what doesn't, etc.

So far, I know I will need:

Keyboard dock
Case(s)

I'm planning to wait to get the keyboard dock to see if I really need it. I want to use the iPad and see how much I would be using it and if it is really worth getting. I'm on the fence of whether I want to get the one specifically for the iPad for the extra convenience, or if I should get the regular Apple keyboard since it would have more uses (i.e. as a keyboard for my PS3... assuming the range is good) So that is something I'm not a big hurry on, I just need to make up my mind on which is going to work best.

I know I will want a case, I just haven't decided on which one. I know the Apple store had quite a few when I was there a while back, but I will have to make some time to take another trip out there. I was thinking about a silicone case, I really like the one from Griffin that Best Buy has, and then possibly a regular slip case (if I remember correctly, Apple had a monkey case from Paul Frank that matches the case on my Touch) However, I don't like silicone cases that well because they catch everything (although the Griffin one didn't seem too bad and it probably won't be as bad since I won't be putting it in my pocket) but I do like the protection and the extra grip it gives. But, I was also thinking about getting something like the case Apple has that would allow me to sort of dock the iPad as well (especially if I don't get the keyboard dock) However, I've heard Apple's isn't too good and I'm also not too fond of how it looks. So, if you have any suggestions of cases I should look into, that would be great.

I do have two additional questions:

1. Can you use a mouse with the iPad? I didn't think you could, however, I talked with someone online today at Apple and they said you could, so I wasn't sure which is actually true... I'm thinking my mom may really like to use this for her business when she is away from home and I would like to make it as easy for her to use (i.e. as close to a regular computer as possible)

2. Do you recommend a screen/iPad protector? I currently have one of my iPod Touch and I'm glad I do. It makes me feel a lot more comfortable when I use it because, honestly, I'm not afraid to use it :D Otherwise I would always be worried it is going to scratch and stuff. As far as I know, the iPad doesn't scratch as easy, but I'm still thinking a protector would be nice. I've used Bodyguardz in the past (on both iPod Touch's and my Blackberry) but when I put it on my most recent Blackberry, the quality didn't seem as nice and I wasn't happy with it. I know someone I watch on YouTube had one and you really couldn't tell it was there, I can't remember the name (have to look it up) I think it was iShield? I know Best Buy had it when the iPad was first released, but I don't think they do anymore. So, do you recommend getting the protector and if so, which one?

I think that is everything, if you have any suggestions of anything else I should consider, please let me know.

As usual, sorry for all the questions and thanks for any help!

i-Want-Apples

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
I looked it up and the screen protector I saw was Inivisble Shield. It doesn't seem to get that great of reviews, so I'm not sure if that is the best option. But, my biggest concern is still whether or not a screen protector is a good idea and if so which brands I should look into.

Thanks again!

historyteacher

macrumors member
May 23, 2010
I suggest power support for the screen. Pricey, but excellent quality. I'm an anti glare fan, but that is personal preference.

i-Want-Apples

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion, I've never heard of this one before. Do you have recommendation of where to purchase it from? Reading reviews there seems to be two, so I want to make sure I find the right one.

Thanks again!

i-Want-Apples

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Thanks. I will look into it. I don't buy too much from eBay but it seems it may be worth it.

fruitytotheloom

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
You don't the key boarddock

I have a iPad. I just use the box as the stand. If you already have a apple wireless keyboard you can sync it.:cool:

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
I bought the Apple case and dock. The case is so fiddly to remove that I ended up never using the dock. I'm waiting for Version 3 of the Yoobao case to appear, to replace my Apple case.

I bought Invisible shield, which discoloured with the Apple case on the back. On the front I don't like the orange peel texture and appearance and there are rainbow artifacts as well. I do love the lack of fingerprints and glare but Im going to try the Powersupport one instead. I don't need it to be bullet proof, just a little protection with anti-glare and anti-prints.

Hope this helps.

i-Want-Apples

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
I have a iPad. I just use the box as the stand. If you already have a apple wireless keyboard you can sync it.:cool:

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I don't have the Apple Wireless keyboard because I don't have a Mac... yet :p I'm going to try the iPad out first and see if I even need a keyboard, at that point I will decide if I want the dock keyboard or the regular keyboard so I can use it for other things. I would like something that looks nice and is portable, so I either need to get the dock or get a case that would work as a dock.

Thanks again!

I bought the Apple case and dock. The case is so fiddly to remove that I ended up never using the dock. I'm waiting for Version 3 of the Yoobao case to appear, to replace my Apple case.

I bought Invisible shield, which discoloured with the Apple case on the back. On the front I don't like the orange peel texture and appearance and there are rainbow artifacts as well. I do love the lack of fingerprints and glare but Im going to try the Powersupport one instead. I don't need it to be bullet proof, just a little protection with anti-glare and anti-prints.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for reminding me about the orange peal feel. I completely forgot about them having that issue, which is why I've always gone with Bodyguardz. It seems Powersupport is the way to go, so I think I will give them a try. I really hate putting these things on, not only is it usually an annoying process, but it also makes me very nervous. I just like having the added protection, my electronics are always treated very well (probably better than some people treat their kids) and I'm always extra careful with them, but I just like a little extra security. Plus, when using a portable device, I don't want to worry about where I put it every time and things like that, it has made me enjoy my iPod Touch a lot more, so I'm thinking I need it for the iPad as well.

Thanks for the info on the cases as well. I may wait a little while and see what comes out. I've heard that can be an issue with the Apple case, so that is why I was thinking I would skip it. If I do get a skin to put on the iPad itself, I'm not sure if I will do another case or not, I may just stick with something to slip it into when in transport, but I'm still not sure. I will definitely watch for the case you mentioned!

Thanks again, your info really helped!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.