Possibly my largest project ever. Wow.

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Bobdude161, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

I got some iMacs at a school auction. Actually I got ALL of them.

[​IMG]

I knew there were going to be some broken ones and figured I could swap parts to make at least half of them work. Boy was I right. Half of them are not working. LOL. And they all have their unique problems as you can see here.

[​IMG]

Fun times. I got alot of work ahead of me. :eek:

Attached Files:

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

thats a nice sight:)

make the ones that work work well with ram and ebay the rest as parts

3. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Haha Nice! So 20 Macs total? How much did you get them for? What do you plan on doing with them (the working ones)?

4. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I say that you should install Myth and Starcraft on all of them that work and invite a bunch of friends over.

5. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Actually the list goes like this:
    19 iMacs, 1 more that you don't see in the pic, a G3 600 Mhz iMac
    3 17" Studio Displays, 2 work, 1 will become a MacQuarium
    2 G3 B&W towers, 1 for parts, other one works
    A broken eMac

I got this all for under a hundred
    I'm going to sell most of them. Keep a few. Hopefully I'll make a little profit. I'm going to sell them cheap since I bought them for 5 dollars each pretty much

That would be nice, but I don't have that many freinds. :eek: :( :p :D

eXactly. I'm going to try Craigslist first, so I can get a better profit.

6. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Ok, I worked on the slot-loaders and 3 out of nine of those work. With 2 of those working, I can sell these locally and get my 100 dollars back and maybe even more.

Now my next mission is to clear out the HDs on the tray-loaders and install a fresh OS on them. Problem is that I don't have any OS 9 CDs on me, but I do have a USB external HD with OS 9. When I hook it up at start up, the iMac ignores the external HD and uses the internal. What can I do to get the opposite? I can't touch the Startup Disk Control Panel because the HDs in the tray-loaders ask for a password everytime, holding shift key or no. Any suggestions?

Also I parted out the other 6 slot-loading iMacs, mostly the internal speakers and CD-RW and DVD drives. Is there anything else I should consider saving before I throw the iMacs away? And also does anyone know the specs for the internal speakers (Ohms, Watts, yadda yadda)? I was thinking about making a huge speaker out of them, lol.

7. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

wow. My school has a bunch of older g3 and g4 towers that were donated so they probably won't sell for a while more. But as they brake down I hope to snatch them.

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Not one of them came with a factory recovery disk? Bummer!

9. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    for the dead slot loaders, you could save the logic boards and ram if they had any....

heck, I might even be interested in a logic board if the price si right :D

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

11. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

How about for free? Just posted it in the Marketplace.

12. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

replied to that thread, will get you instructions on how to remove the logic boards tonight :D

13. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I work for a School District and 2 summers ago I touched over 1000 of these machines. We only kept the RAM.

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Holy Smokes...thats crazy! (price wise) also very cool you got all those Macs

15. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Wow!!!

Possibly the greatest thing in the world!! The "Broken eMac" in that list turns out to be working! :D :D Ends up whoever had the eMac last, took the case off and forgot to plug back in the power button cable when putting the case back on. 1.46 Ghz, 1 GB of RAM, 10.3.9, tons of software. Basically i got a $300 Mac for $15 dollars. I was literally jumping around for joy. I have won the jackpot!

But on a downside of things, I broke one of my 500 Mhz G3 iMacs when i was testing out 10.3 on it. :( ah well.

16. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Still, sounds like a fair trade.

God is messing with you.:)

17. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Those are all "Blueberry" except for the three "Indigo" systems. "Turquoise" and "Dark Blue" are not their official color names.

18. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

its not really broke, there is a chance to bring it back alive, it just may need a firmware update and it should be back alive. i forget the steps to fix it once OS X has been attempted on one without the firmware patch for it. but www.applefritter.com has a few topics on that subject on how to fix one.

19. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

I think I have...

I think i have an OS9 Disk I don't need. My G3 is only running tiger ( i think) .. I'm new to macs but i'm 95% sure that the G3 ONLY Has tiger on it.. and NO OS9...

If i don't need this disk.. I'd be willing to part with it..

my mac is a 500MHZ Blueberry G3 - Has a DVD player.

20. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

You might what to consider keeping it as your machine will dual boot in to OS 9 & X which you may find useful at some point in the future. If the Mac is new to you it may already have had OS 9 installed on it. Look in system preferences / startup disk, if it shows an OS 9 system file you can chose to restart in that OS.

21. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

I struck gold this time! 21 eMacs (4 non-functional 7 without memory, 10 working) 8 G4 towers (2 non-functional) and 20 iMacs. All for the low price of $384. :D

The eMacs mostly consist of 1 Ghz (some 700 Mhz and one 1.25) processors and 256 MB of RAM.

The graphite G4 Towers are mostly 400 Mhz with 256 MB. There is one dual (I think it's dual. Very long heatsink) processor G4 but it's missing a power supply. :(

I haven't touched the iMacs. I'm more concerned about the real money makers right now. Estimated GMD would be around $1500 dollars. That's enough for a MacBook! WOOT! :)

But yes I will post pics soon.

22. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

i would love to get one of those G4 towers off of you if you would be willing to part with one. if you do what model are they.

you can find out by looking at the ID tag on the back. also you can find out info on them with mac tracker. or everymac.com

23. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Yes, in about a week here, hopefully, I will have these machines posted on the MR marketplace. Just gotta do some re-installing and buff out some scratches. I'll look up the tags here later. work is looming ahead. But it looks like like (based on the I/O port cover design) that i have Sawtooth and non-sawtooth towers.

24. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

wow I would never have room to store so many machines:D Pictures!!