Possibly stupid playlist question...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Rojo, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I have been manually managing music (not automatically syncing) on my 1g 4GB nano for some time now -- taking songs out, adding others in -- until recently, where I found the perfect "playlist" of songs I think want to keep in there for good. (I say this now, but will probably change it again in a week. Sigh...).

Anyway, my question is... how can I easily make this list of songs also a playlist in my regular iTunes library? I can't figure out a quick way to do this. I thought dragging the nano library, or a nano playlist back to the iTunes library might do it, but that's not allowed. I can rebuild the playlist song-by-song, but that's a drag with just under 1000 tunes.

Anyone have a quick solution to this?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'm not sure I understand the question here. You said that you have manually managed songs, so essentially you'd like to make all the songs on your iPod be part of a playlist in your main iTunes library, is this correct?

If so, I'll have to think about how to go about associating all these songs with a playlist. Is your main machine a Mac?

Can you try making an on-the-go playlist of your entire iPod library? You would have to do it artist by artist, or album by album. This playlist could then be transferred to the iTunes library, I think.

3. Rojo thread starter macrumors 65816

Rojo

Yes, that's correct -- I want to make all the songs on my iPod a playlist in my main iTunes library.
    And yes, I'm on a Mac!

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

First of all, take a look at post#2, since I edited it.

Second, download a program called Senuti and install it. It will allow you to copy music from your iPod to your Mac. I think that it also allows you to create playlists from the music if you like. See if that does what you like.

5. Rojo thread starter macrumors 65816

Rojo

EDIT: I thought this would be another really time-consuming way of doing it, but I realized you can just go "Artists" and press down and hold on "all" and it will make every song automatically be on your on-the-go playlist.
    Thanks for the suggestion!!!!

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You may want to read this website:
    http://www.fadingred.org/trac/senuti/wiki/SenutiAndITunes

It looks like the default behavior would be to copy the songs into iTunes. You could then of course do a 'remove duplicates' from within iTunes, but that's a bit of a pain.

If you look at the preferences pane in Senuti, it looks like you can choose it have it make a new playlist in iTunes, and select 'Skip' for identical filenames. I think this would work for you.

[​IMG]

Edit: So, I got it to work.
    Create a new playlist in iTunes, then open up Senuti. You should see the playlist in the source field on the left hand side.
    Select all of your songs on the iPod (again in Senuti), and drag them to the new playlist in Senuti. Now, switch back over to iTunes (it should still be open) and see if the new playlist has been updated. I just did this, and the songs were not duplicated.

7. Rojo thread starter macrumors 65816

Rojo

Thanks -- the Senuti solution sounds even better (than the on-the-go solution) as it will ultimately allow for more flexibilty.

8. barnacle macrumors regular

barnacle

does anyone know of a tool like senuti that works with windoze?