possibly stupid question re: shipping

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sarae, Sep 24, 2004.

1. sarae macrumors 6502

Sorry if I'm asking a question that's been covered before, but here goes:

I'm about to buy a powerbook from Apple, and I just have questions about the shipping - what company do they use? And the shipping company would require someone to be home to leave the box, right - they wouldn't just leave it in my apartment's lobby? (There is no main office, and I can't guarantee that I'll be home.) Is there a way to ask them to actually deliver it to me, or am I just stuck with it possibly sitting out for a couple hours? :confused:

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Apple usually uses Fed-Ex, but sometimes they use Airborne Express.

Everything I have ever ordered from Apple has required a signature for delivery. So, you'll need to be home. But if you are not, you can usually go to the Fed-Ex or Airborne distribution center in your area to pickup the package.

3. macaddictann macrumors member

Hmmm, I seem to recall that when I ordered my Powerbook, I asked the guy to leave it at the back door (not the front; I was too paranoid about leaving a $2500 computer sitting out in plain sight all afternoon) and didn't sign. But then that was 3 years ago, and my memory's slipping. Or maybe they've changed it since then.

Could you have them deliver it to where you work? I recently had a UPS order changed to that because it was a rare "signature required" shipment (since it was 18+ material, heh). But then you'd have to have a workplace that would be OK with it, somewhere to keep it safely until you go home, and a not-inconvenient means of getting home, re carrying a huge and heavy box. (This is a concern for me, BTW, with my upcoming G5 order.)

4. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

When my G5 was shipped, the FedEx guy had the balls to leave the computer sitting on my front porch with no signature and no one at home. I called up FedEx and gave them a piece of my mind for that one, also to ensure that my 23" didn't arrive in the same manner.

5. USC_Gamecock macrumors member

You should call up fedex (that's the company apple is using for my PB delivery), and tell them you want to pick it up at their office, and not for them to deliver it. They should be able to set up a pickup for you ...

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I got my PowerBook in a box that ws so beat up, I thought that someone must have hit it a few times, maybe played a game of soccer with it (for the non-American members: Football), and it was just left at my doorstep. When I opened it, I was amazed to see that it was a PowerBook box! In perfect condidtion, too. :confused: It was really well packed. The label, BTW, did not say PowerBook, just Apple Standard Shipping. Maybe they pre-dent the boxes so people think that they arn't valuable?

7. sarae thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, thanks for the tip - i didn't know i could do that! fedex is definately the company?

i thought about sending it to work, but that just isn't gonna work.. thanks who all that replied... some of your stories were pretty scary.

8. USC_Gamecock macrumors member

I don't know if fedex is definately the shipping company, but most of the people (everyone except one) that I have seen on Apple forums all over the place, have recieved it via fedex, the one person was via airborne express.

9. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    once u get the tracking package info it should be easy to contact the shipper and leave the pertinent instructions; if its a big piece of equiptment i feel better picking it up myself if the drive isnt too far

10. sarae thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks. i just ordered my baby-to-be, a 12" pb. :D i'll definitely call when i find out who is shipping. i don't have a car, but i do have a friend who does.

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I just ordered a video adapter, an ipod, and applecare. The applecare came ups and required a signature. The ipod and video adapter are coming fedex. I don't know if they will need signatures.