Possibly the strangest mac ive ever seen.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sparkleytone, Sep 19, 2002.

1. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

2. vniow macrumors G4

Re: Possibly the strangest mac ive ever seen.

The iMac from the black lagoon......

3. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

In short, the original g3 imac. This is the infamous G3 AIO, or all-in-one, only sold to educational markets (reminds me of the emac).

Exactly the same as the MT and DT models, but with a CRT (onboard SCSI and everything). The last of the old world AIO machines.

4. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

our school has bout 12 of those...theyre not that bad for speed, but theyre ollllllld...and most of them have os 8.5 or so on them...n the old beige keyboard/mouse....never thought osx was possible on one of those things....its emac-ish a teeny bit but the emac has alot better specs and the PowerMac had a 15" screen...

5. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Your making me cry. :'( That machine is not old yet. My main X machine is a 9600.

I will be very peeved the day they discontinue support for ADB. I like most mac ADB keyboards over their USB cousins. I even got my IIgs keyboard to work with X (IIgs had the first ADB). The ADB mice on the other hand…

6. BongHits macrumors regular

i had those at school too....*shudders at the thought of macs before os x* what a nightmare they were...these were the days when i actually liked M$'s offering of an os better than apples...how quickly things change :D

7. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

I shudder at the new world macs that dropped SCSI for IDE, 4 expansion bays for 2, 12 RAM slots for 3-4, 6 PCI for 3-4. Shows the the price vs expandability gap has widened significantly.

8. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

What has me shuddering is the $1400 price tag attached to a 146GB SCSI Drive. That sort of kills the price expandability argument, as you could buy a TB of IDE for that.

Also, as the current chips can not address more than 2GB of RAM, what would the point of extra slots be?

I could always use more PCI slots, however, 4PCI and one AGP is a pretty good compromise.

I think alls well when you compare a $3200 1.25x2 with a $9200 Quadra 950...

9. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

IDE is a cheap technology. I was forced to SCSI because of constant IDE failures. IDE was put in out of cheapness, but your argument is still valid. quality vs quantity
    I guess that would be Apple's fault. Offerings from other companies (Tyan for example) allow for 3x+ the RAM slots of current macs.
    Agreed. I guess most of the manufacturers that have six don't have 4 64-bit length slots.
    True. They were under diifferent ownership then. But at least then they came out with new solutions, not just overclocked machines with half assed DDR implemenation. Dual procerssors sound impressive, but the G4 is really getting long in the tooth. You can tell by the 7-pound heatsinks.

I long for the days when machines were made to be ultra-expandable, not quickly discarded for the next latest-and-greatest.

10. big macrumors 65816

big

WOW! runs with the beige G3 specs? did anyone notice that? that means educational models may have new items in them not in current powerlines....

ie...
    the beige G3 did not have an upgradable zif (as claimed) until the B&W made the scene....

11. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Hmmm.. all the DT and MT on this page show socket-A. All G3 DT and MT excluding the iMac have had upgradable ZIF. Even the Yikes did, with the 7400 G4.

The AIO was certainly a fast machine and probably a good deal for its time. An education machine having the same speed as the top professional offereings is probably still unprecedented for Apple.

12. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

I was in college when those Beige AIO G3 came out. For those who can't remember the days, or weren't MacHeads in the days, I remember that when this generation came out, that the scolling on windows was so dang fast, that until Apple fixed the "bug" you had to download a little hack app that slowed down the scrollbars. You could go from top to bottom of a lartge window in the blink of an eye. Ah, the days of power....

;) :D

Gus

13. rugby macrumors regular

We've still got about 50 of those at the middle school I work at. Not bad machines, but damn heavy if you have to move one! They do have a zif socket cpu like the beige towers/desktops so they can be upgraded.

14. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

[/quote]i had those at school too....*shudders at the thought of macs before os x* what a nightmare they were...these were the days when i actually liked M$'s offering of an os better than apples...how quickly things change [/quote]
    theyre huge puters (compared to imacs) (and probably even larger than the emac) by a bit

i hate our school puters, the only puters i ever like using are the ones without the restrictions (ie ones where i can run ie/moz)

15. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Our Techs HATED those things.

They were essentially a Beige G3 Pizza Box with a 15" monitor strapped on top and a ghoulishly styled translucent case. They will take the same processor upgrades as any Beige G3.

BTW: These things were WAY bigger than iMacs: They were almost the same size as the Blue and White 21" monitors but witout the infamous tripod feet. It was the last hurrah for the Performa concept.

16. zorglub macrumors member

12 ram slots on 9600 because the max originally supported was only 64Mo per slot... they make 128Mo chips after.

internal SCSI was low ( at the end : fast scsi... 10Mo/s theorical )

6 PCI with one dedied to the twin turbo graphic card... a dream...

more expansion bay because the internal disk was only 4 Go and the capacity of scsi disks was terrific compared to the price...

z

8600-250 oc/300 & PB550:rolleyes:

17. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

EDU

My university have several of them arround in various departments... none in the labs.. those are all QuickSilvers with 15in LCDs. The funny iMacs are mostly found on Professors desks... at least at my school

18. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

I've never seen one in person before. They're probably still in use at most of the educational institutions that bought them. I'm probably not missing out on much though…

19. 3777 macrumors 6502

That is cool, looks like a collectors item to me...

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

yes, and he's running OSX on it as well (from the screen)

But I'm thinking its a bit ugly, no?

D

21. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

That's apple choice, the G4 can address 64Gb of RAM if you ever needed it and had the slots on the motherboard.

Here's a quote from the PowerPC 7450 spec sheet I downloaded from the motorola site a while ago :

Although mac's are now using the PPC 7455, it's true for that version of the 745x aswell.

I did look on the motorla site for info on the PPC 7455 but for some reason motorola now require a login to view anything on their site to do with cpus so you might have problems finding any info on powerPC chips from now on.

* I used pow to represent power seeing as I can't do too much in the way of font formatting with UBB code.

22. 3777 macrumors 6502

It's no iMac G3 or eMac, but still kind of neat looking, and could be worth something someday

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

it's rare but not that rare - one of my clients has one i fix from time to time

she got it because she is a teacher

i can't imagine someone upgrading it like that and getting os x to run on it...the one i've seen originally had 233 mhz and a 4 GB hard drive and the video memory was 2 MB

24. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

My Elemenatary school had 30 and my high school has about 40, they are not that rare, but very odd looking. Maybe this is where Apple got the idea for the iMac. OS X must run very slow on that, but it is possible.

I remember when those were top of the line;)

25. big macrumors 65816

big

>
    Hmmm.. all the DT and MT on this page show socket-A. All G3 DT and MT excluding the iMac have had upgradable ZIF. Even the Yikes did, with the 7400 G4.

The AIO was certainly a fast machine and probably a good deal for its time. An education machine having the same speed as the top professional offereings is probably still unprecedented for Apple.

What was I thinking about then? Now I do remember some of those...thanks for the memory jog