Possibly the worst time EVER to order ? :)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JamesSykes, Jan 28, 2005.

1. JamesSykes macrumors newbie

Well today everything went through for my Powerbook 12" order.

Considering everyone seems to think we are on the verge of an update, whats the chances of be getting a new revision?

I was told up to 5 days before it would be shipped so were looking at late next week at the earliest.

What do you recon? Do i have the worst timing, EVER?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

We all secretly hope so ;), but I'm sure you'll be fine, as will people who order two months from now....

3. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

It wasn't the worst time to order...if there's a revision on Tuesday, Apple will probably automatically update your order to reflect the new product and pricing schemes.

4. maya macrumors 68040

maya

ROTF, its always SOME Tuesday, if not last tuesday then this coming tuesday if not then the tuesday after that. Next thing you know the month is ended. ;) :)

5. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Those lucky PB owners who bought one in April 2004. This has got to be the longest life for an Apple product before a refresh. :)

6. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Dont worry, its not like you will not be able to do what you need to when the new PowerBooks come around. You will be fine, unless you really like how the new PB's look like.

7. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

They will look the same, it will only be a speed bump and other small thing. Maybe. ;) :p

8. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Personally, I would cancel the order and wait at least a couple weeks. If they said "up to 5 days" that means it could ship on Monday, and an update could occur on Tuesday. What's 2 weeks, when you will know for the next 6-9 months you have the latest Powerbook as opposed to the 2nd latest?

Lee Tom

9. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Or if they comeout with a new PB soon you could return the one you just bought. ;)

10. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I would just keep the order and if it comes monday then don't open it until at least after Tuesday (and I know that is easier said than done). If the order is not a BTO (and I'm assuming it is not given your ship time) then you can return it without a restock fee if it is unopened.

I just had a powerbook delivered last week and there was a dead pixel in the screen. After a long fight with apple to do an exchange they finally agreed to let me do it. I decided to go with a 15" this time but the ship date is 14 days plus 5 days shipping via ground. Basically, apple told me to not expect to see anything until the end of Feb so I'm not worried about missing the update window. The delay is so substantial that I ordered a Dell system for $229 off their refurb site to give me somthing to use for that period of time (I have no computer at the moment other than my girlfriends that I am holding hostage). I will have the Dell on Monday as compaired to who knows when for the powerbook..... Apple sure is having some issues with their stock at the moment. Best of luck to you with your new purchase. I will be really looking forward to my powerbook after being on a windows machine as my primary computer for a few weeks. :cool:

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

12. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i am lucky too. but seriously, it doesn't matter if you have a 1.33 GHz, 1.5 GHz or 1.66 GHz PB. As long as the overall powerbook is the same you won't notice the minute speed difference in everyday life anyway. The revision will only be a minor speed bump. And you don't feel 10% speed difference in Word, iPhoto, Excel and Safari.

Those who got their Al PB just now know that they get a rock solid machine with all production issues resolved.

andi

13. JamesSykes thread starter macrumors newbie

Im secretly hoping there are some other changes like increased battery duration etc.. :)

What does apple usually do to its pricing with updated revisions?

14. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

On its own, a significant improvement to battery life might make it worth upgrading.

On PowerBooks? Not much.

15. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

I really would cancel the order and wait untill the new rev is out.

At the very least you'll be getting a faster G4, bit more Ram and a larger and faster HD.

At the other end of the spectrum is the Holy Grail.....

16. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, Apple offers a 10 price matching garauntee, right? Is that from the day of order or the day of reciept, or the day the order is fullfilled, ie shipped? If they release a new PB within that window, the old systems should be moved over to the Sale/Refurb shop at a reduced price, right?

So, worst case you can at least get Apple to send you some money back that you could use for RAM, external drives, updated software, etc.

Rob

17. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I would say the people who bought the dual 2.0 GHz G5 when it first came out in mid 2003 are seeing the longest life. They didn't update the PowerMacs until a year later, and their computers are now only 2nd fastest. Who knows, they might still be around in the next revision.

18. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I bought in May 2004 :(

;)

19. nerd macrumors member

I, too, am one of the lucky ones. I bought my PB on 4/23/04 and I've been nervous every Tuesday since then. I know when the G5 PB comes out I'll experience feelings of worthlessness and despair. My "new hotness" will be "old and busted" and shortly thereafter my bank account will be decimated as I kneel before Steve and pay tribute.

20. JamesSykes thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahaha i guess its now probably the best ever time to order :) :) :)

21. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, in a sense, I was right - but only because you all will be getting the new revs! Congrats!