Post 14 Day Exchange for Refurb MBA rev A

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jleffell, Aug 19, 2009.

  1. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2009
    #1
    Sorry to those of you who may have already seen me asking a similar question inside other threads but I wanted to open in up.

    I purchased a Refurbished MBA around May 28 (just over a week before the latest refresh).

    I only started reading this site the day of WWDC and was thus unaware of a possible update to delay my purchase. I bought the 1.8 Rev A HDD and I am disappointing in the speed of applications and the common shuttering issues (I know about Coolbook but I think it's ridiculous that Apple doesn't offer a solution).

    I was unaware of the 14-day exchange period (admittedly my fault) but I have now seen Rev B's in the refurbished section with the new graphics card/128 SSD that I would much rather have for the additional $250. I would even be willing to pay the restocking fee to get this machine.

    Have people had successful post 14-day refurb returns? The last bit is that my girlfriend will be purchasing a new 2.13 MBA Rev C so I thought I would try and get that salesperson to help but she is waiting for SL and I want to resolve this as soon as possible.

    Any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
     
  2. macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    Location:
    Chicago, IL, USA
    #2
    There's quite a difference between two weeks plus one day out and three months out.
     
  3. macrumors 65816

    GeekGirl*

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2009
    Location:
    Buffalo, NY
    #3
    live with it, till the next rev.
     
  4. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2009
    #4
    I am aware of this which is why I am asking.
     
  5. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2006
    #5
    I think you're pretty much out of luck. You would need to sell the Rev A then purchase the new one.

    Then again, it doesn't cost anything to call Apple and ask.
     
  6. macrumors 68020

    jamesryanbell

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2009
    #6
    I think too much time has passed. Still doesn't hurt to ask though. When my friend did that very thing and it'd been 2 1/2 weeks, they didn't do it for him. They told him "14 days" over and over again.
     
  7. macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2003
    Location:
    UT
    #7
    There's basically no way they will take it back. Sell it, take the hit when you buy the one you want, and learn the lesson.
     
  8. macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #8
    You bought an absolute PILE OF CRAP! I would complain and tell them of all of the problems over the phone. Tell them you have read that the rev B/C MBAs do not have all those problems... you may even get a free upgrade. I have read MANY threads where people got free upgrades from their original MBAs to rev B models.

    The original had just about the worst component makeup ever in Apple's history of building Macs. Bottom line, the original MBA doesn't do what people expect of a Mac.

    If you cannot get an upgrade, buy CoolBook as it has saved many of buyers experiences and lead to great results.
     
  9. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2009
    #9
    Can you point me to someone who has gotten a free upgrade. I have spoken with several Apple people in customer service/sales and no one will do anything. I even said I was willing to pay for the upgrade but you have really heard about people getting free upgrades from A to B????
     

Share This Page