Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
San Francisco, from Twin Peaks

dsc0379a7gc.jpg

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Here's a few places I've been that are slightly less-known landmarks. See if you can name them! They're all pretty well known in their respective locales, and if you've seen any of them you should be able to name it right away. :D

They're ordered by expected difficulty...I don't expect anyone to get the last one but I put it in just for fun. :)

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
Lake Taupo, New Zealand, Jul '05
There are three snow covered volcanos in the distance.
One of those was used as Mount Doom in LOTR.

Attachments

• IMG_1733smaller.jpg
    IMG_1733smaller.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 111

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
All too civilized. How about Machu Picchu and Huaina Picchu?

PERU5_09.jpg

Mitth: As a one time resident of Geneva, I love what they've done with the floral clock, did you happen to get any good shots of the Jet d'Eau?

B

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
a movable landmark

Paul Allen's yacht:

Attachments

• A-Boat.jpg
    A-Boat.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 138

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
balamw said:
Mitth: As a one time resident of Geneva, I love what they've done with the floral clock, did you happen to get any good shots of the Jet d'Eau?
Nope... we were only there for one day, and to our big surprice it was turned off... An old class mate working on CERN, had never seen it turned off before and was equally baffled... :(

Also, most of that trip to Switzerland (driving around most of the country in a rented car), it was just in the middle of the heatwave in 2003, and all the really high peaks was covered in haze, so we never got to see, much less take pictures of obvious photo opportunities like Mt. Blanc or Matterhorn...

Oh, well, next time, maybe... ;)

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
The residence of Christian Doppler, Salzburg (10 geek points to the first to recognize the significance of the scooter driving by ;)):

attachment.php

Can't see that anyones risen to your challenge yet, so here goes. As Pavlov was to dogs, so Doppler was to cats. He discovered that if you swung a cat around, with an observer standing close by, the sound heard by the observer was something like "Meeeeeeeoooooooooow" (use your imagination here, its difficult to translate from 'cat' language). He later realised that all objects imitate cats when they are moving, to a greater or lesser extent. The scooter is the closest imitator of all, especially at high speeds. Doppler named this 'The Cat Effect'. But to us non-scientists, it has become known as the Doppler effect.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
stevep said:
[...] The scooter is the closest imitator of all, especially at high speeds. Doppler named this 'The Cat Effect'. But to us non-scientists, it has become known as the Doppler effect.
10 geek points for you... :)

And 5 extra points for a very good explanation... :cool:

Applespider

macrumors G4
Here are a few of mine - trying to avoid some of the subjects already listed here :p

Grand Canyon - from the helicopter over the South Rim (although not to Gary's standards!)
The Golden Gate tower
And Niagara Falls looking back up to the Horseshoe Falls - it took to about that distance before the lens wasn't getting covered with spray!

Attachments

• GC-ridge.jpg
    GC-ridge.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 148
  • GC.jpg
    GC.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 122
  • gg.jpg
    gg.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 128
  • falls.jpg
    falls.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 103

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Well, since the filename contains hotchkiss, it shouldn't be too, hard, should it...? ;)

Oops :eek:

Well then, the other three are considerably harder then eh?

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
Cooknn said:
Can I post an interior shot?! Below is Thomas Edison's Fort Myers Lab. The 360° pano is here.

I went there when I was about 10. Thought it was pretty cool. You don't happen to have a picture of his Banyan tree as well?

Oh, and here's another pic from my travels (and home):
-Banff in the middle of June, note the severe lack of tourists. One week later and the whole Avenue will be packed with tour buses and traffic.

-The inside of Notre Dame Montreal. Somehow a photo just does not do justice. (On a side note, that's the first church that I had to pay to get in . . .)

-Parliament Hill, Ottawa on Canada Day, with my 100,000 closest friends.

-Bytown Locks on the Rideau Canal just beside Parliament Hill (the Chateau Laurier is visible on the left.

-TulipFest at Dows Lake on the Rideau Canal in Ottawa

Attachments

• banff.jpg
    banff.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 37_ndmontreal.jpg
    37_ndmontreal.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 129
  • IMGP0916.jpg
    IMGP0916.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMGP1751.jpg
    IMGP1751.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 94
  • tulippan04.jpg
    tulippan04.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 104

Kyle Nerder

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2005
Toronto
CN Tower - Toronto

This was taken from my car driving into the T dot on the Gardener.

Attachments

• IMG_0075.jpg
    IMG_0075.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 93
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.