post college woes

Discussion in 'Community' started by howard, Mar 4, 2005.

1. howard macrumors 68020

howard

well, i'm graduating college this semester, then off into the real world.

For once in my life there is sort of an end of the line, after May, I have no idea what will happen with my life. Its exciting yet scary. The hard part to is that I'm a musician, well composer really, and getting jobs and enough money rolling in takes some time, so i'll probably have to get a crap job to live for the time being.

Anyone else have experience pay loads for a college degree then working a crap job just to make end meet? Does it suck as much as I think it will.

Anyway comments/thoughts/misc ramblings about the subject of college graduation welcome here...

2. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Watch St Elmos Fire, an old movie about the same topic. Bit of nostalgia from the 80s, entertaining though.

3. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

I graduated 2 years ago and I'm still feeling those woes... It looks like I'm finally going to be starting in a career type of job (one that I actually want to be a part of) as opposed to the part time work I've been doing thus far. There's always some type of job available to make ends meet, but my best piece of advice to you is to hold out for the position that really sparks your interest.

The worst thing in life is to have regrets, and luckily at this point my only regrets are those accomplishments that I have yet to complete. Don't sweat it if you don't find the ideal situation at first, sometimes you have to compromise, just keep looking. Persistance definitely pays off. On that note, don't forget to have fun along the way. Life has its ups and down, be sure to enjoy the ride.

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I never went to college but I do regret not doing better in kindergarden. And in high school, I regret slacking off too much and not taking chances with asking the girls out during the awkward teen years. If I could do it over again, I would definitely do things differently.

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

and there's "reality bites" about the post college blues

for most people i know, the transition was a shock and not always fun...but they learned a lot and felt like it was their first real test/experience of being an adult

if you can, hold out for a better job instead of taking the first thing that comes along, but also realize that it's better to have some job instead of no job by being overly picky...strike a good balance and realize that while you can have an interesting job right after college, that the first job out of college may not be the pinnacle of your career

live one day at a time and realize inch by inch life's a cinch, yard by yard life is hard

...and congratulate yourself on finishing school and allow yourself to enjoy that for a time...you went k-12 and then the years in college, so a well deserved vacation or some time off is definitely in order

and lastly, don't be too hard on yourself

6. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

I might like to add that the first year away from home is the worse. It mostly the adjustment that takes getting used to. Plus the 1st year you dont know any one so it takes time to get to know them.

2nd year you come back and you already know a lot of people and have already formed some friendships and then you start out thier and it will only become better though out the year.

My advice is where ever you is GET INVOLVED. Join some club or orgization and get involved in there. it makes things a lot more fun

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Dunno if you got this, but he's talking about AFTER college, not DURING.

Personally, I can't wait for "real life" to begin. I have alots of plans, and can't wait to see them happen in reality. I'm one of those weird guys who don't really enjoy college all that much.

8. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Serious?! High school I can understand but isn't kindergarden a bit young to be harbouring regrets?!

9. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

yea, another tax producer to pay into the kitty! And to add to the social security funds! I feel more secure already!

Seriously, Don't focus on the bad part it will drag you down, focus on your goals, work hard and don't stop trying to get there. There is a bad side to everything, focus on the good side. :)

10. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Graduating college was a great time for me. The first time in my life having real money. I graduated with a Computer Science major in 1997, right when the dot com boom was getting off the ground. Paid off my student loan in 2 yrs. Had a place in the city with a great room mate.

It's a good feeling of independence. Have learned a lot about the business world since then.

11. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

thanks for the good advice everyone.

There are a lot of things to be excited about, and i'm sure everything will work out in the end. I went to college to do something that I love to do, and I love it more each day. If I have to have any job for a year or two just to get the best one in my field then so be it.

12. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

I hope to graduate in Summer Term 2006 and I am kind of scared myself. I have no idea what the hell I am going to do with my degree (Film Studies). There is a film market here in Utah but probably not enough work for all 150ish Film majors at the school, not to mention all those who get their film associates from the Community College. I have no desire to ever move to California or New York to try and find work. I will probably end up going back and getting my teaching degree in History.

13. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Well, that's easy. Go to professional school! It certainly won't help with the debt part, but it'll help you find one of those non-run of the mill straight out of undergrad jobs (especially liberal arts majors). Further, you won't have to face reality for yet another 3-4 years! What did you major in?

Bring a gameboy or some other way to entertain yourself to the graduation ceremony. Those commencements are interminably long, even if you're trying to pay attention. Much worse than highschool. If you go to a large school, you'll have tons of fun sitting there while they read off 1000 names. :)

14. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

haha i thought about that, going to grad school, but i've spent enough money as it is... i may sometime, who knows.

i majored in contemporary writing and production

15. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

believe it or not, we get a lot of our doctors, dentists, college professors, and lawyers from the large pool of professional students

after finishing senior year in college, many people are still not sure what they want to do so they further discover their path in graduate school...i have met so many people who got into medicine, teaching, or law because they were still searching...rare is the 17 year old entering freshman who says, "i think i wil go into radiology or probate law" and thus pursue a 7 or 8 year beeline path to that end

for many, the journey takes a very curvy path...when i finished my ba in hr, i knew that the logical path for my skills was as a corporate hr type or labor/employment lawyer (which would take further study)...so what did i do? i became a techie and did that for a long time...now a decade later, i want to revisit labor/employment issues and attempt labor law and at 41, i have started the study of law...so it's never too late to pursue or change a career path...the average adult has 4 major careers in their lifetime

16. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

I graduated in June, moved home for the summer and worked as a camp counselor, then moved away and started my "career" in September. The first few months sucked, I wanted to be back at school with my friends badly. Of course moving to a new city and not knowing anyone really didn't help my cause, but I wanted to try out something new. It's working out well now, I like my job and the people I work with and have made some good friends.

It definintely takes some time to get adjusted, but it's not so bad...and of course a salary will help you to feel a lot better :)

allison.