post counts absent?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spike Spiegel, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

has anyone noticed that the post counts for people are missing, i think it started earlier tonight, but it hasnt been resolved

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: post counts absent?

it's on purpose...

They may come back someday... but we'll see how things go without the post counts listed

arn

3. vniow macrumors G4

Dont mind, don't mind at all.

If it keeps people like samdwek from spamming too much in order to get past newbie status and then on to an avatar, then I say keep it.

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Interesting. I just now noticed that too. I understand the motive, but all we have to do is click on the user to see their post count and rate of posts, it's really only eliminating it from the threads... I don't mind, though.

5. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Arn,
    I like it. Strike that. I love it. I assume your motivation is to increase the quality of the post counts, not the post counts.

No need to point fingers at any particular users.

Nice work, arn.

As far as leaving the post count on the user profile. That is totally cool to. I like the idea that the information is there, but it is not directly associated with a user, like some sort of status.

Arn, I would like to make a suggestion. Is it feasible that this site could provide a means of ranking a users post, just like on amazon.com? That way people could filter out comments from people who are consistently labeled as "not helpful" and could seek out comments from those found as "helpful". It might even serve as good feedback to users (including myself) who think their posts are helpful, when they may be largely viewed as less than helpful. Just a thought. Perhaps to integrate this feature would cost too much money.

6. vniow macrumors G4

Well there is the thread ranking thing, but people hardly ever use it.

Interesting idea, but I think that report post to moderator is more effective.

7. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I would worry about that, because I think it could become a tool used just to support friends and fight enemies. It would silence everyone whose posts are controversial, and all the *******s like me as well. :)

8. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I like it. Even though you just have to click on a member to see post count, casual spammers won't be that smart.

As for rating posts, that is a silly idea. In political threads 50% of the members would think that someone is an ******* and the other 50% would think the person is a genius.

9. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

Don't you people ****in' read, this has been posted like 10 times. ugh.... MR is starting to suck with all you newbies.

10. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

Um, haven't ou noticed that 7 out of 9 (8 out of 10 now) of the posters have avatars our could have avatars, and definitely are not newbies?:rolleyes:

Love the lack of numbers, another fantastic addition.

11. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

Yeah well I think he must have no read the forums cause there are a couple of posts like this.

12. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Cool

I like it. Hehe, heres a little joke....

------------------------------------------------------

Post number: 1367

13. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Re: Cool

Um...very funny :rolleyes:

14. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

If this could help to get rid of meaningless posts and post count contests, then I'm all for it!

15. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

Well, I'm guilty of looking at a person's post count, and then determining how much belief I should put into that person's post.

I think there may be a correlation, though.

16. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

oh ya,

Arn, did you do this based on the thread "MacRumors becoming too popular?"

17. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I rather quite like being able to see post counts w/o clicking on their profiles.

Maybe it will work out for the better. :)

P.S. I like to see my own total that way too.

18. gandalf55 macrumors 6502

i like the lack of post count in the main posts. i'm so far from an avatar i don't even think about it anyway. it will save the boards from some fluffer postings.

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I also like to see my post count, hope you bring it back! Who is it that needs to have that information? :)

20. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Re: Re: Cool

Troll

21. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Just to chime in with the rest of the regulars. I think I can say that about myself by now. Thank you Arn this was a good decision.

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Definitely a good thing - more emphasis now on actually being a part of mr, instead of trying to get post count up.

But there still will be cases of post count spamming - since some members will want that avatar and you still need 500. But with or without post count being displayed, you can pretty much figure out who's doing it and fix the situation.

:D

D

23. gandalf55 macrumors 6502

i've noticed i don't get emails about replies anymore too (not good.)

one way to quit spamming is allow everyone to use avatars. but that may be going too far.

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Go to your user profile and select 'edit options' and click yes for the reply to option - it may have been reset, who knows.

D

25. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Maybe you should make the post time limit more like one minute. I think it's 30secs right now isn't it? If it's already a minute double that. This would slow posts down enough that it would be frustrating to those trying to artifically inflate there count.