Post EyeTV 250 Screenshots?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TheSpaz, Jan 2, 2007.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Can anyone post some TV captures from their EyeTV 250 so I can get an idea of how the quality is? I'm having a really hard time finding any "actual size" screenshots of this in action. I'm really interested if it will be better than hooking up my Pyro AV Analog-to-Digital converter to my VCR. I think it would since it's getting a direct signal from the cable company rather than running it through my VCR and then through RCA cables and then to a analog-to-digital converter unit but, I still haven't found any evidence to back that up.

So, please... if you have an EyeTV 250, I'd love to see some "real" screenshots of it in use.

2. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I would be more than happy to- when I get home, which will not be for another 7 hours or so.

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Thanks! No hurry. It's not supposed to even ship until probably Wednesday.

4. Joony macrumors regular

Go for the Miglia TVMini HD!

Free unencrypted HD local channels!

edit: That's 720p (1280x720) by the way, other channels do 1080i at 1920x1080!

Attached Files:

5. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Umm... that's great and thank you for that nice screenshot but, I already ordered the EyeTV 250 because I read about how great it was and I don't know much about HDTV so that's why I got the EyeTV 250. I'm kinda regretting it now... do you think I made a bad choice... I swear I looked at all my options but, this one must have slipped through.

How can I tell if I get HD signals near my house anyway? I kinda live in a small town that doesn't have much.

6. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

I'm thinking of getting that product too, are you using the antennae that's included? How's the reception?

7. Mhill macrumors member

Bloody Americans with there free to air HDtv broadcasts!

8. fall3n macrumors 6502

looks good. The eyeTV 250 also has an HDTV antenna option. Anyone know if Vancouver, BC gets HDTV airwave broadcast? One thing, the Miglia doesn't have "game mode" does it?

9. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Go to antennaweb.org and plug in your zip code. It'll tell you how far you're away from the main antennas and such.

Keep in mind that receving OTA HD signals is different than regular OTA signals. With OTA HD, either you get a crystal clear picture or you don't get a picture at all. No worries about having a blurry, distorted picture like with a regular signal.

Also, if you have cable, the Miglia HDTV mini has a QAM tuner, which means that you can receive any digital channel that your cable provider sends through unencrypted (aka "in-the-clear"). Usually, it's limited to your local networks. So if you can't get an OTA signal, you might be able to with cable. The best thing is that it won't cost you anything above the price of basic cable.

ft

10. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

The screen game makes it look a lot fuzzier than it really is.

Attached Files:

11. ronni3 macrumors regular

Just a question, how has Photoshop behaved for you on your 24" iMac? I am considering getting one or possibly a Mac pro.

12. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I have Photoshop Elements 3.0, so it runs under Rosetta. My line of work is primarily AutoCad/Sketchup/modeling and drafting based, with quite a bit of photoshop here and there. So, while I am no photoshop expert, I do know a few things and use it quite a bit. All the jobs in that Photoshops folder are post production renderings- just a bi of tewaking in PhotoShop, nothing to serious.

I won't lie- when I have some serious Photoshopping to do, I reboot using Bootcamp and do it in Windows. It's sad, I know, but a few of my other programs work much better in Windows until I can get some universal binary action (I'm looking at you, SketchUp and CorelDraw!).

As for day to day photoshop work, it runs fine in Rosetta. Granted, I am using a stock 24" iMac and I really do need to get to 2 or 3 gigs of ram, but she does her job. I notice a bit of slowdown in Rosetta Photoshop, primarily when doing erasing or using a large brush (CorelDraw is almost unuseable in that regard) or scaling.

It's really not the computer- if you need to do some serious photoshop, I either suggest using BootCamp or waiting for the universal binary version, but if you aren't doing anything crazy then you should be fine with Rosetta, for now.

13. ronni3 macrumors regular

Thanks iKwick7!

By the way, which Elgato/Miglia product are you using for TV? I am considering getting the Miglia TVMini HD.

14. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

The ElGato 250. I bought it primarily to convert a ton of old vhs tapes onto my mac and then spiffy them up onto dvd. It does a great job of recording tv though as well- far better than what I used a year or 2 ago on the *gasp* pc- and far better than the garbage I have to pay Cablevision $15 a month for.

It's funny, too- I have a 27" lcd hdtv directly above my mac, on the wall- and ever since I got this 250 I hav ebeen watching tv on the mac, not the tv. :) I don't have to look up anymore!

EDIT: the camera does make the Elgato shot look much better than that screen grab- it really is quite nice. Also gotta love tiny little desks in tiny little apartments- boy that thing is messy! Just got finished w/ a little work marathon- things sure do get cluttered on that thing when I am using the lapop and mac at the same time!

Attached Files:

15. Joony macrumors regular

yup, as ftaok said, with the Miglia TVMini HD, you can go through antenna (best to have a rooftop for maximum signal though) or hook it up through cable to get HD.

The included antenna is pretty weak! So I use the rooftop when I'm at home, and cable when I'm at school in the dorms.

Another shot, fullscreened on my MBP.

Attached Files:

16. Jopling macrumors 6502

Damn, that desktop display is sexy

17. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Why did you JPEG compress it so much? Doesn't PNG work just fine for screenshots? Did you use any special App to take that screenshot? If you did, you shouldn't have to because you can take screenshots using cmd-Shift-3

Just in case you didn't know... I'm not trying to give you a hard time.

18. FireArse macrumors 6502a

hhmm

I couldn't agree more. Do they still have analogue broadcasts on? Where in the frequency table are they broadcasting it? I know London had a trial recently - but I wasn't able to onto it for testing.

Only other way is to download while you're at work, and watch the TV/Mac when you're at home.

F

19. Motley macrumors 6502

The Hybrid gets the HDTV and SD, the 250 only does SD programs.

20. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

No worries. I did a cmd-shift-3 screen grab, of course, but the file was quite a bit over the size limit. In my late night tired stuper, I just did a super quick file size adjustment in photoshop and called it a night.

:)

21. ronni3 macrumors regular

Joony -

I have been trying to figure this one out but have yet to get any answers. Since you live in the Chicago area, could you more or less tell me what channels you have been able to get using the TVMini HD through your schools cable line.

I plan on getting this, eventually, and want to be sure it will be worth my money.

22. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

What are SD programs? I still don't understand how you can get "free" HDTV channels using a simple antenna. Can someone explain to me what the difference between what the Miglia TVMini HD does versus the EyeTV 250?

If I CAN get an antenna for the EyeTV 250, could I still get the same free-to-air channels as those with the Miglia TVMini HD?

23. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

OK,

Here's a quick primer. This info refers only to USA standards.

SD = Standard Definition - resolution is limited to roughly 640x480 (sometimes also listed as 720x480 for stuff like DVDs). SD can be either analog or digital. Analog being 480i and digital being 480p.

HD=High Definition - HD in the US is always digital. The two flavors of HD being broadcast in the US are 720p and 1080i. Most new HDTV (if not all) support both standards.

OTA - over the air. Refers to signals received via an antenna.

NTSC - this refers to the type of tuner a TV uses. NTSC is the tuning system that you're used to receiving. If you use an antenna, you get VHF frequencies on channels 2-13 and UHF on channels 14-69. If you use cable, channels 2-125 are using NTSC.

ATSC - this is the tuning system used for OTA digital broadcasts. This is the type of tuner you'd be using if you wanted to get your HD channels with an antenna. ATSC also include your digital SD signals.

QAM - this is the tuning system used by some (most???) cable systems for digital broadcasts. With just the QAM tuner, you should be able to pick up any unencrypted digital channel, including HD ones. If you want to pick up the encrypted ones, you'll need to get a Cable Card and pay for the appropriate service.

With that said, the difference between the EyeTV 250 and Miglia HDTV mini is that one is a digital tuner and one is an analog one. The EyeTV 250 only has an NTSC tuner. So you will not be able to pick up any digital station ... therefore, HDTV is not acheivable.

With the Miglia HDTV mini, you have ATSC and QAM tuners, but no NTSC tuner. While you will be able to pick up HD channels either through an antenna or your cable connection, you won't be able to get the analog stations. If you're only interested in the local networks, then no problem since the locals usually show the same programs on the HD and SD channels. If you want all of your basic cable channels, then you're most likely SOL.

Other differences are that the EyeTV has hardware encoding while the HDTV mini doesn't. Not that big of deal if you have a newer Mac.

There are other minor differences, but they are too numerous to list.

If you want all three types of tuners, you'd need a 250 and a mini. There may be problems with the EyeTV software incorporating both tuners. Incidentally, if you only want/need NTSC and ATSC, elgato makes the EyeTV Hybrid. But you lose the QAM features.
    ft

24. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Thank you very much for that detailed and much needed post. It seems as though I made the right choice. I was looking for being able to hook up my standard definition cable to my Mac and I was also excited about the hardware encoding so that I can do other things seamlessly while I watch or record TV shows. Also, I was really only looking for resolution that was about the same quality as iTunes TV shows because I'm tired of paying for something that I could just as easily press a button and record it (or according to the Elgato site, it can record automatically depending on my schedule that I would set up). Also, besides spending $2 on every TV show that I wanna watch on my iPod, you also can't burn them on DVDs or even download them RIGHT after they air. With my schedule, I miss my favorite show by minutes, so it would be nice to be able to record it and watch it shortly after it airs rather than waiting until the next day to download it.

I think I made the right choice. Thanks all!

25. Motley macrumors 6502

I think the only other difference of note is that the 250 supports importing analog video off of camcorders/vcr/etc while the hybrid does not officially support it (though some people have still got it to work).

Anyone have any experiances with how well getting info from a camcorder with the hybrid works?