Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Post iPhone 5 Release: Black or White?

• Switched from Black to White.

Votes: 46 22.9%
  • Switched from White to Black.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Stayed with Black iPhone.

Votes: 80 39.8%
  • Stayed with White iPhone.

Votes: 42 20.9%
  • Color does not matter for me!

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters

JoshObra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Los Angeles
Now that the iPhone 5 is somewhere past the release date now and most of us have their hands on their new iPhones already. I was kind of curious what was everyones thought about the "latest" color scheme Apple has put out on the iPhone 5.

So, did you end up switching from..

Black to White?
White to Black?

or did you..

Keep your Black iPhone?
Keep you White iPhone?

or...
do colors even matter to you? It's just a phone!

And of course, why and what did you think about the color?

Reason for question: I'm over the scuffing problems with the black one as long as it doesn't scuff easily. But my current dilemma is wether or not I should swap it out for a white one. Looking at some photos and seeing the white ones in person somehow makes me want to lean towards that color instead. But there is also a part of me inside that is telling me to keep the black one because its pretty slick and stealthy whereas the white one seems like eye candy.

My iPhone 4 was black with no problems and my iPhone 4s is white with no problems either (except that I just found out the sides of my 4s has some serious scratching from my case). So I guess I'll be happy with either color, just wondering what other people thought about the new color scheme.

Thanks for reading!

NowhereOutThere

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2012
I've had a black iPhone for ever since I bought the 2G on launch day, so I decided to change it up with the white 5. I contemplated the black one, especially with the slate aluminum, but I really wanted a drastic change from my black 3GS I had been using for the last. three. years. :(

On the whole, I couldn't be happier. My white 5 is scuff-free, and matches all of my other Apple products (well, except my MBP when it is open). The aluminum/white pairing is classic Apple, and it reminds me of my first iPod. I still have a nagging feeling that I should have at least looked at the black, as I just went to the counter at AT&T as soon as they opened after standing in line and ordered without second thought.

jpmcnown

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2011
I'll be swapping my Verizon 16GB black 5 out for a white one later today, before the mobs of returns form. Mine is scuff-free, but have seen way too many Youtube videos, and I can't get those images out of my head.

I do like that this Verizon model is gsm unlocked, and can apparently still get respectable speeds with a GSM sim card. Should make it easier to sell later.

Now to patiently wait on a jailbreak.......

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Ordered black, sticking with black.

Played around with the white model and all that lint/dirt that gets trapped around the edges of the glass would make me go crazy.

SMacDuff

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
I have three iPhones coming next week (long story). Two are white and one is black. I had originally ordered two white models from different carriers but then began to really like the look of the black. Now, with all the issues with the black models, I have started to lean back towards the white. I'm still, however, fence-sitting and likely won't make a final decision until they all arrive.

The reason for phones from the different carriers is that I am now with 3 in Sweden but prefer to use Telia as they have better coverage where I work (I barely get a signal with 3). When I tried pre-ordering via the Telia website, the website buckled under the pressure of so many ordering at the same time and it took over one hour to fully go through the order process. During that time, I managed to order one from the 3 website (merely as a backup in case the Telia order didn't go through).

Anyway, now a bit of research is showing that 3 is actually providing a much faster connection than Telia (32Mbit/s vs 10Mbit/s) so I may bite the bullet and go with 3 despite the poor work connection.

JoshObra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Los Angeles
Bought black. Switched to white. After 10 hour of meticulous use I noticed a silver scuff on the bezel.

So you're saying the black one scratches easily on the bezel? I saw that YouTube video at iFixit but it's really hard to tell how scratched up it is after the kid keyed the phone.

I was thinking of slapping a case on mine today, but I was wondering if putting it on and off constantly alone would scratch it up.

Seriously Apple! What is going on?!

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I am absolutely meticulous with my phone. I look after it with an absolute passion but I refuse to case it.

I've noticed 2 silver marks on the black bezel already.

Luckily my white replacement is already on its way to me from Apple.

JoshObra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Los Angeles
Yeah, I don't regret having my black iPhone now. I was looking at my white iPhone 4s yesterday, and I was like "ick" I think I'm getting tired of this color.

So yeah, whatever makes me happy. And I'm happy with my black iPhone.

I just hope it wouldn't scuff as easily with a case on.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I stayed with my black iPhone 5, but I have to say...the white looks really, REALLY good in person. I thought it looked boring and odd in pictures, but in person, it's really beautiful. The gleam on the beveled edge is awesome, and the silver and white blend really well together. I think the black looks really slick too (and thinner somehow), but in person, these phones look so much better than the already great design of the 4/4S.

I just got my ultra-slim bumper for my phone (had been using an Incipio Frequency, which is a good case and will still see some use), and it looks great on. Can see the nice design of the back, without worrying about nicking the edges on tables. Plus the little extra protection in drops should make it hard to break in a drop, and the lip allows me to set it on the back or front without worrying about little debris that could scratch it. Best of both worlds, and you can see the nice slate back...

TheDLade

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
I stayed with my black iPhone 5, but I have to say...the white looks really, REALLY good in person. I thought it looked boring and odd in pictures, but in person, it's really beautiful. The gleam on the beveled edge is awesome, and the silver and white blend really well together. I think the black looks really slick too (and thinner somehow), but in person, these phones look so much better than the already great design of the 4/4S.

I just got my ultra-slim bumper for my phone (had been using an Incipio Frequency, which is a good case and will still see some use), and it looks great on. Can see the nice design of the back, without worrying about nicking the edges on tables. Plus the little extra protection in drops should make it hard to break in a drop, and the lip allows me to set it on the back or front without worrying about little debris that could scratch it. Best of both worlds, and you can see the nice slate back...

Where did you get the ultra-slim bumper from please...links?

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
I got Black and I'm not sure if I'd switch but, IMO, black looks better in pictures than in person but white is the opposite where it looked a bit dull in photos but in person looked much better. The shiny bezel edge catches the light in a cool way, the aluminum back looks cool and overall it's a very classy style.

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I am absolutely meticulous with my phone. I look after it with an absolute passion but I refuse to case it.

I've noticed 2 silver marks on the black bezel already.

Luckily my white replacement is already on its way to me from Apple.

How did you pull this off? I talked to 4 apple reps today and none could help me. Ugh.

JoshObra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Los Angeles
How did you pull this off? I talked to 4 apple reps today and none could help me. Ugh.

I think Pagemakers mentioned from a few threads back that he called Apple directly and they've shipped him a new one rather than going to the store.

I've read many people has done this too.

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Can anyone speak to this? I wasn't talking about talking to 4 reps in a store....I called and talked to a bunch of people who said it's impossible for them to exchange for a different color.

JoshObra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Los Angeles
Can anyone speak to this? I wasn't talking about talking to 4 reps in a store....I called and talked to a bunch of people who said it's impossible for them to exchange for a different color.

I think I've read something like that before, the store policy is to exchange for the same color only. But some stores has made exceptions I think, or I think what they did is they got a refund for the black iPhone and then bought the white iPhone.

Something like that.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
I have always had black, since the first iPhone. After hearing about scratches on launch morning, I went into the local AT&T store and bought white. I have to say I love the white. White + silver just looks excellent. Plus I don't have to worry about unsightly scuffs and scratches.

When it comes time to replace my iPad 2 with a 3, I'm going to get white again. I think it looks classy.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Was just at the Apple Store...

White looked far better, the black ones were already getting dinged in store.
Even without marks the black this time looks flat.

4s black in store looked great. The glass back is a better looking design.

Never though I'd consider a white phone, but it's either the white 5 or a dark S3.

Interesting too, they had stock of black ones but white was sold out...

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
I got the White one, love it. Would never switch to the Black one. No worry about dirt here. Kept my White 4S in a case with a screen protector and it still looks as White as the day I got it.

Last edited:

hkfan24

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
I've had every iPhone in black and wanted to change it up this go round so I got a white iPhone 5. I loved the look of the white the first few days, but as of recent, I really miss the look of the black. It's so much easier to make any case color combo work with a black one. For instance, i really like teal accents on a case but when paired with a white iphone 5, it looks extremely girly. the same teal accent case i liked looks pretty Subtle On a black iphone. I'm going to exchange for a black one this week. I guess the "new color" excitement wore off. White is still a gorgeous color though.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I love White but like the previous iPhone purchases I couldn't get it because I bought them of kijiji or limited stock that I forced to get Black since I didn't want to way. On Sunday a few days after it came out I walked it at Best Buy and all they had was Black 64GB.

I'm not switching because I'm not impressed with it, just waiting until Samsung releases the Note II!

cutiepie101

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2013
I got the white iPhone 5 as a gift and I am in love with everything about it. It has so many special features and apps. I would never prefer any other phone over this. Love you Apple! xxoo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.