Post-it on wife's windshield

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mudbug, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Jun 28, 2002
    North Central Colorado
    So my wife took my kids to the grocery store this afternoon on the way home to grab a few things for dinner. Our car has a John Kerry for President bumper sticker on the back, like quite a few other people in town. While in the store, someone took the time to scribble on a post-it note the following message:
    First of all - I'm pissed off that it happened at all. I'm totally in favor of people having different opinions on how the country should be run, and totally in favor of recognized forms of political campaigning. But scaring my wife with a note on her windshield while she's shopping I think is far and away over the line.

I called the number to *ahem* discuss it with the man that left the note, and he wouldn't tell me anything other than he wanted to tell my wife "the truth."

So I ask you all - fair and debating members of the political forum that I pretty much never visit: Is this a fair campaign tactic in your eyes, or an act of cowardice? I have the number, and if I get enough response in that direction, I'll post it in here for you all to take a call if you'd like, along with instructions on how to disable your caller ID outgoing information.

and just to be clear - I don't want someone to post random hate-filled links to either side of the political fence on this - I just want YOUR opinion.
  2. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    I don't really like people that go out of their way to preach to me, particularly when they can be charitably said to be distorting the facts. I'd be pretty pissed if someone did that to my car, and would probably want to give them an earful myself. I guess it could have been worse though.
  3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    I'm not going to say that I disagree with the method. It's comparable (not exactly like, mind you) to having your car flyered. And the person left their number, which makes it easy to contact and or report them if you really felt threatened. And there was nothing specifically threatening about the note itself, other than that it appeared on the car without notice.

I probably would've done one or two things, the first (and most likely) checked the car for new scratches, thrown the note away and thought to myself, "i'm surrounded by morons", while looking to the sky for patience.

The second (and not very likely) thing would've been to call the number and say, "You're absolutely right, it's about time we had a pro-choice president who's anti-gun, pro-equality, pro-national-defense-that-actually-makes-us-safer, who is endorsed by a party that believes in feeding and housing everyone. It's high time to get that gun-toting, vendetta-minded, liar out of the White House before his religious extremist and corporate buddies flush this country down the toilet. How can I help?"
  4. aus_dave macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2004
    Neither - I'd say an act of stupidity :D.

If your family feels strongly enough about a candidate to put a sticker on your car, you are extremely unlikely to change your voting intention based on a PostIt stuck on a windscreen.

So he is wasting his time and getting you stirred up for nothing really :rolleyes:.
  5. JLS macrumors 6502

Aug 8, 2004
    Kent, England
    It was probably Bush when he was out shopping... :p
  6. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    i would be seriously pissed ...i don't see why flyers have to be put up in front of the windshild (it happend to me only twice)... i hate that stuff even when it's non political...i would have torn the post it apart in a lot of small pices full off anger .... (i wouldn't put a political bumper sticker on my car either but ..hey they are not available over here..)
  7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    it was out of line!
    If that had happened to me in reverse (i support W) I would look the guy up on a reverse ph directory and plasterd his house with my own retoric.
    I would be more angry than you, I have a wife and 3 small children, it would have made her nervous as heck too.
    Report the guy to the local sheriff.
  8. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Lol, I don't particularly like leafletters either, nor do I like finding stuff on my windshield. So a few weeks ago I look outside my window at work into the parking lot in which my truck is parked, and what do I see but a pair of leafletters working their way down the lot, one per side. I called my co-workers over and got out my keys with the keyless entry fob and it's ubiquitous panic button. When she got about a foot away from grabbing my wiper blade I hit the panic button. :D

Cruel, I know; but I don't like getting spam on my windshield.
  9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    I'm surprised you didn't keep the number in, there are probably lots of people here who would love the chance to be phone trolls to somebody who leaves notes like that.
  10. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    i'd advise against that, as MR might be found liable for, well, something. PMs i imagine would be a different issue....
  11. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

Jan 7, 2002
    2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    this guy sounds like a loose cannon...but it is quite telling of how emotional this election is to many people.

i would keep his phone number handy...ahhh, the things you could sign him up for. :D
  12. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2004
    I doubt it. To many big words.
  13. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    Well, for $30 you can have Larry Holmes call him and deliver a "customized message written by you." :cool:
  14. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    someone did that to my apple sticker...ya thats right! they tried to convert me to x86!
  15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    The guy almost sounds like an unemployed homosexual communist, who knocked up a girl on a drinking binge, and has a gun phobia due to getting mugged at gunpoint several times.
  16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    That's irritating as heck. I had the same thing happen to me. I had a "darwin fish" on the back of my car and some jack*** put his card under my windshield wiper that said, "Evolution is a lie. For the truth call me." The flip side of the business card has his info (according to the card he was Dr.).

Presumptious<sp?> @sshat.

17. SPG macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2001
    In the shadow of the Space Needle.
    Things are getting weird out there for sure. I too have a John Kerry sticker on my car, (20-1 Kerry stickers to W stickers in my neighborhood) and I had some crank take the time to peel it off while I was parked at work. I put a new one on the same day.
    I don't know if the note per se is objectionable really, but I think the tone of it has an undercurrent of menace to it. My other sticker is a snowboard company's logo, and if someone put a note saying something about that, I would just laugh unless the tone was menacing.
  18. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    That was uncalled for. Though the note didn't make an explicit threat, I agree with others that there's an underlying anger there. If he just would have wanted to share a point of view, it would have read more cordially, or perhaps offered a few facts to back up his stance.

I think that anyone who has the gall to leave a note like that should be called, repeatedly, at all hours of the day, by various Mac users around the world. :)
  19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    Google his number, find out where he lives and return the favor.

He used the red-baiting, so just about anything's fair game. I suggest comparing Bush to Hitler. He'll love that.
  20. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I hate it when my windshield gets leafletted. Usually there's no trash can to be seen, so if I don't want to be a litterbug it litters the floor of my car for a week or so, burning into my brain the name of the company that I will never again patronize.
  21. AndiePandie macrumors regular

Oct 15, 2003
    It never ceases to amaze me the stupid idiot things people do. It really sucks that your wife got targeted like that. It would make me angry at first but then I would pity the person as they have nothing better to do with their time than spam someone's car. Of course the evil side of me would totally do something with that phone number. ;)
  22. mischief macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2001
    Santa Cruz Ca
    How about we do some digging as a group to find the most extreme-left groups we can via their websites so Mudbug can insure this schmuck's enlightenment. :D
  23. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Hehe. Well, you DO have his phone number. This depends on how evil you are.

You could leave some photocopied "questionable material" (think photoshop gone horribly, horribly wrong) under people's windshield wipers with that guy's phone number on it. Sophomoric, yes. Amusing, absolutely.
  24. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    just go out to a gas station in the middle of nowhere and write in the bathroom stall in the mens room "For a good time call ---"

Since hes probably homophobic, it would work out great :D
  25. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    I'd be pretty pissed if someone left a note on my car. But thinking about it, he did leave his number. I respect him for not being anonymous.