Post Spamming

Discussion in 'Site News' started by arn, Feb 23, 2003.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Please do NOT post simply to increase your post count.

Typically there are no warnings, and accounts will be shut down, sacrificing all posts.

arn

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

arn can you please just ban kwyjibo and let us continue our great thread on the definition of a geek?

3. vniow macrumors G4

Yeah, I say bring that thread back, Wastelanding it was a bit excessive, it was ours, not that spammer's.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

and our thread isn't exactly what you'd call off topic...we were talking about one aspect of a geek: sexuality ;)

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

this warning has to be brought back from time to time...there's always someone new who comes around and wants to stir some sh*t up "upping" his/her postcount...

remember too...we can simply delete those useless posts when they victimize a good thread... ;)

6. howard macrumors 68020

howard

yeah i saw that guy creat a thread and just post things like: aoiefjoej and civoiwf to increase his account....that was really bad. I'm glad people who do that get kicked. it really ruins the whole forum experience

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

are you sure you all aren't spammers? hmmm ;)

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

>are you sure you all aren't spammers? hmmm ;)

Are you sure you weren't the one with the most posts in 24 hours, over 200 posts? :p

I immediately decided to report the thread when I first saw it (before Mr. and Ms. Spam took notice). That's all that needs to be done.

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

ahem...contrary to popular belief...

that's "Mr. Spam" to u...thank u very much... ;)

10. vniow macrumors G4

Someone challenging me for Ms. Spam status?

CATFIGHT!!

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

"spam" is different from "many posts". keep that tongue in please. ;)

12. job macrumors 68040

job

ahh...

so there's a second mr. spam in town? :confused: ;) :eek:

13. King Cobra macrumors 603

But, eye, hitman has already been proclaimed the title "Mr. Spam". If you are willing to try out for Ms. Spam (shouldn't be too hard, you are the winner of the Macrumors Babe Contest II), go for it. Just watch out for Ms. V...

>keep that tongue in please. ;)

Jello, get a look at my teeth! :D

14. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

As best as I've been able to figure out, the only really "useful" reason to try to boost your postcount is to get an Avatar.

Considering that the threshhold for an Avatar is 500 posts, and apparently no metric for "months that he's been participating" (that I know of), the website is effectively encouraging people who want an Avatar to post a lot of noise one way or another, which will by definition sacrifice some signal quality.

A personal "Case in point": I wouldn't mind having an Avatar, but I've posted only ~75 times within the past (not quite) two years. At my current rate of posting, I won't be eligible for an Avatar until September 2013!

I'm sorry, but do you want to give Avatars to people who provide quality postings, or just those who just post a lot (quantity)?. When we look at the quality-vs-quantity arguement from a Mac-vs-PC standpoint, Mac = quality, so its a bit heretical to suggest that a Mac website should do the opposite.

FWIW, my personal suggestion would be to consider amending the Avatar rules to reduce the motivation of creating fluff posts. For example, the policy (and clearly documented) could be that no one gets to have one until they've been a registered member & participant for at least XX months, plus have a YY postcount.

YMMV for what value you want to use for "XX", but I'd suggest something between 10-20 months. This does assume, of course, that the website's software can easily facilitate such a change.

Just my $.02,

-hh

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

The issue of how and when to distribute allowance to avatars has already been discussed to death. So it comes down to this, as duke mentioned in such a discussion:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

16. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

the sudden mass posting so one can get an avatar is really, annoying, and being only 15 or so posts away from one myself, i've been trying really hard not to make any completely useless. posts. all mass posting does is piss people off, and what good is a tar if everyone at the boards hates you?

17. howard macrumors 68020

howard

well said beez7777 i can't wait to see your avatar. sadly i'm about 200 posts away..and i already have my avatar made!! but i have also just been posting normally

18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

now hold on there moderator, isn't there a rule about defeating the word filter?

:D
    hehe

pnw

19. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

hmm...touché... ;)

so I should just retain myself as "Ms MacRumors 2002" and forget about being "Mr. Spam"... :eek:

I agree on relevant posting vs. boosting postcounts for avatars...but this is a classic debate which I'm not even touching again... :rolleyes:

and yes I did sorta get around the filter...but I've been doing it for 2 years now and no one has slapped me for it...yet... ;)

did I miss any other points?

20. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

er... is there a rule about defeating the word filter, I thought it was just politeness and concern for minors, I've been doing it since I got here, should I stop and let the filter take over?

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: is there a rule about defeating the word filter

Sometime back around the time of the Redneck thread ...

22. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

avoiding means using alternate letters, foreign letters, graphics etc...

For example if "funny" was a censored word, using "fvnny" would be frowned upon.

*-ing out parts hasn't been a big problem.

arn

23. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Avatar Envy

For what it's worth... I agree with you.

If I had known the troubles the avatars would cause.... I would have not activated them at all.

The problem with quality vs quanitity is that it's very difficult to assess quality objectively. It would become a full time job to figure out which users are posting quality posts etc...

Every now and again, I think of limiting Avatars to a certain subgroup (contributers) or maybe stop allowing new people to get avatars. But I figure it will cause a revolt of sorts. :)

arn

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: Re: Avatar Envy

i think revolts would be good... weed out the people who truly are just posting to get avatars and those who have something semi-useful to say

let em start infighting and kill each other off! ;)

25. janey macrumors 603

janey

that was kwyjibo...he still didn't get kicked off, but his post count dimished after what he did :) not a macrumors regular anymore lol