Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Remember this is a slow hobby, it is always best to take your time and not rush. It's never easy to lose a living thing but take it as a learning experience and try to figure out which parameters were out of whack. Just practice good habits and try to learn from your mistakes, best of luck!

Along those lines, I wasted to post some time lapse photos of my mixed reef tank.

1 Month:
View attachment 326790

6 Months:
View attachment 326791

1 Year:
View attachment 326792

The time lapse idea is a great one...I thinkI will do an overnight on my neighbours giant tank...Set the camera up on a tripod,SO much goes on overnight when you can't see much and the lights are off. Will have to experiment with shutter etc, but he has stuff that only ever comes out at night.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

Attachments

• IMG_7291.jpg
    IMG_7291.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 213

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
I am scanning a bunch of old negatives and came across some of my first homemade aquariums.

This was my second build (the first was a Lisaquarium). It's an Apple 2 Page Monochrome Display. I built it in 1995, that monitor cost $2000+ when new in the late 80s. This was always one of my favorites. I built it so it would still swivel, but (obviously) not tilt.
img209.jpg

I built a Macintosh TV aquarium, I think this was 1996. This bad boy had its light in tube running the length of the tank along the bottom. If I find any pics of the lighting, I'll post them. It was stupidly dangerous.
img215.jpg

Note, I didn't destroy a Mac TV to build this. I was running the service department at an Apple store in those days and ordered all the case plastic as repair parts. The black keyboard was there just for the day courtesy of a customer's machine that was in for repair.

More if I find them!

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Nothing new with my tank. Everyone seems to have settled down and no more deaths to report. My Cichlids starting to grow which is fun to watch.

Chrono- Any updates with your tank??

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I'd love to get a saltwater aquarium someday. Hopefully if I land this software development job I'm after I'll be able to get one.

Josh125

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
Katy, TX
Can you tell/link where you picked up this aquarium? Or any other details would be great. Love the very clean look.

Sure, I got it from picoaquariums dot com. The equipment list is below.

Pico Aquarium Manta Ray 18 - Starphire Glass
Solana Stand
Tunze Osmolator
Finnex 50 watt heater
Kessil A150 10K
Aqua Life Mini 150 skimmer - I don't have it installed yet
1 watt LED fuge light
5.5 gallon R/O top off tank
6 lb or so LR
15 lb. pink Fiji sand

jtomlinson

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2011
Grand Blanc, MI
Sure, I got it from picoaquariums dot com. The equipment list is below.

Pico Aquarium Manta Ray 18 - Starphire Glass
Solana Stand
Tunze Osmolator
Finnex 50 watt heater
Kessil A150 10K
Aqua Life Mini 150 skimmer - I don't have it installed yet
1 watt LED fuge light
5.5 gallon R/O top off tank
6 lb or so LR
15 lb. pink Fiji sand

Thanks. I had a feeling it was from picoaquariums, they make awesome tanks. I've been trying to talk the fiancee into a nano reef setup, if I show her yours she might just let me...

Josh125

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
Katy, TX
Thanks. I had a feeling it was from picoaquariums, they make awesome tanks. I've been trying to talk the fiancee into a nano reef setup, if I show her yours she might just let me...

Good luck! If you get one tell Chris I recommended you :cool:

Beauftil setup! What do you have planned for the future with that tank?

Thanks. It will largely be mini maxis and acans. The one fish I plan to get is a platinum percula. I have few weeks if not longer before the tank is ready for any livestock. I'm in no rush!

Feeding Godzilla

photo copy.JPG

Godzilla is my pet salamander (aka waterdog or mudpuppy). He lives in my 20 gallon "swamp" tank. He looked like a giant tadpole when I got him but then grew legs. He loves earthworms but doesn't have any teeth so he literally has to wrestle them and swallow them alive. Sometimes it will take him all day to defeat the worm. :cool:

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Here's the latest update of mine. Going to be tearing it all down in 6 weeks after the new tank is built. :)

2v1ogib.jpg

Last edited:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

Wow very nice! I can't wait to make a saltwater tank.

View attachment 333450

Godzilla is my pet salamander (aka waterdog or mudpuppy). He lives in my 20 gallon "swamp" tank. He looked like a giant tadpole when I got him but then grew legs. He loves earthworms but doesn't have any teeth so he literally has to wrestle them and swallow them alive. Sometimes it will take him all day to defeat the worm. :cool:

YouTube: video

Aw hes a cute little guy!

I'll have an aquarium (not my frog house) to post soon! My fish tank FINALLY cycled so I'll be adding fish this week :)

----------

Here's the latest update of mine. Going to be tearing it all down in 6 weeks after the new tank is built. :)

Very nice! I'm afraid of having that many plants because I'd not know how to clean them if I had an algae outbreak. I love the look though.

ppcg4mac

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Northwest Kansas
I have been thinking about making a eMacquarium lately. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could make this look good on a small budget? I already have the eMac case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.