Post your Black Friday successes (and failures!)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lord patton, Nov 24, 2006.

1. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

I went to Target for their 6 a.m. opening. Got there about 20 minutes early, and there about 100 people ahead of me. By the time the doors opened, there were around 250-300 people in line.

Anyway, I got a black Jensen iPod alarm clock for $28. That's the only thing I went for, and I got the last one :D

What did you get (or not get)????

EDIT: is this the right forum for this (commnity discussion, perhaps)? Mods move it if you need to.

2. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Yeah. I just hit up the Best Buy. I got there about two minutes after they opened, and the line was still entering. It was 5:05 before I was even in the store.

I was hoping to get that 19" Samsung widescreen monitor for $129 (Normally $249), and it was long gone before I even got to the computer section. Ugh. Pathetic.

Time for me to get some sleep.

3. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

i went to best buy for the westinghouse 32" lcd tv. got there at 5.15 and there were no more tvs so i left.

there was a home depot up the block that opened up at 6am. i waited in line and i was 8th. someone asked about the tvs and the manager said there was 6 of them. so i figured, ok i'll get one of them. when the doors opened the [sorry to say] white trash ahead of me sprinted to the tvs, and there were only 3.

3 damn tvs from a nationally advertised ad. i'm very pissed at this whole day. i didn't buy anything. but i'm gonna go buy a tv from tigerdirect.

i hate black friday. it brings out the worst in people. and *really* *really* brings out the evil of evil corporations.

4. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Can you get the same deal from those retailer's web site? I was not borne in this country; so I know I will never subsribe to this "shopping tradition" in this country. I was watching the TV news this morning and I was amazed at those people lining up before the store in the odd hours of the day for this. I don't like shopping in the store; I would rather shop online.

5. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

the deals aren't the same online. that would be wayyy to smart and easy. the thing is, i don't want to do the tradition either, but when you can get a 700 tv for 412, how can you even complain? lines? i'll take it. usually i'd just sleep all day today, but this is a nice reason to get up. plus you don't need to be born in the US to know that you're passing on a great deals.

just stay away from walmarts. no joke. people get killed.
    last year 4 people were trampled at some walmart in minesota. and people were sent to the hospital from my walmart. stick to the non-underpriviledged people stores.

today best buy was PACKED! at least it was still civilized. Home Depot on the other hand was riddled with trash. last year, it was allllllll trash at walmart. i don't even want to sound like i'm a bigot, but really, i saw people fighting over everything you could possibly think of. people get so pumped about getting items, that they will actually fight other people over getting the 1 of six televisions.

6. cecildk9999 macrumors regular

cecildk9999

It's those sorts of horror stories that keep me away from the Black Friday lines (I did it one year for Best Buy, and I had enough). I'll take a cup of tea and a sunny morning over a $300 savings (but to each his own).

7. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

[​IMG]

Thats the opening page for Best Buy... In Stores Only :( But the Apple Store has online specials! :)

Attached Files:

8. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I drove by GameStop today before heading into work (because it's on the way) and stood inline for 2 minutes before the manager came out to say that they only got 6 Wiis in. I was somewhere around #20, so I just left.

I suppose that would be a Black Friday failure, but I really don't mind. I'll get one eventually.

9. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

im about to go to return my ipod car transmitter and rebuy a different one with the discounted price

10. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I went to the grocery store and successfully picked up some doughnuts an coffee. The coffee was on sale, and there was no one in line at the checkout!

Ill do some real shopping in a bit, I just dont want to get in the way of those crazy 6-9am shoppers. Those people are nuts. Ill report back with details in a bit.

Update: I went to the best buy, the mall etc. I didnt see anything that really jumped out and told me to buy it, so I kept moving on. The lines at most places were terribly long, and since there was no great deals, the only thing I bought today was lunch.

11. lord patton thread starter macrumors 65816

lord patton

guffaw! :D

12. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I returned the second season of Grey's Anatomy to Blockbuster.

Black Friday should really be reanamed "bait and switch" Friday.

13. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

I took advantage of Apple's Black Friday deals and bought myself a BT Mighty Mouse ($58), Airport Express ($88) and Universal iPod Dock (normal price) all with free shipping.

Then I went to OfficeMax and got myself a 1GB Titanium SanDisk Cruizer for $13! I thought that was a nice deal. I also bought an Aiptek DV camera for $69 ($30 discount) at Wallgreens. I've been saving for Black Friday for a bit. :D I was happy with my purchases.

14. sumfilipinodude macrumors newbie

I bought mostly clothes today but my sister and i bought the iLive Portable Docking Boombox thingy.
    Here's a link.
    http://www.ilive.net/product_details.php?pr_id=51

The sound quality is good. I like it. The bass blows out a little at high volumes but it's not nearly as bad as other systems i've seen that do this.
    But what i really want is an ipod alarm clock radio speaker.
    I've heard that the iHome is pretty good but i'm leaning towards the iLuv more.

15. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Eh, I got a camera from Circuit City, but they made it available online the day before, so I just ordered it online. I was going to go wait in front of Staples for their $19.99 200GB hard drive, but I remembered what a fiasco mailing in rebates had been in the past, so I just ordered a 320GB from outpost.com instead (it was on sale too, and didn't need any mail-in rebates).

Unless there's something completely amazing on sale, it's really not worth going early for. There'll always be people there in line hours before you, and the stores will always run out before you get there. Plus, the rebates can be a big PITA.

16. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

went to Roosevelt Field at 5 am. Not only were about 60% of the stores not even open that early, all the sales sucked imo. failure. i will never go out BF shopping.

17. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

My success of the day? Getting over the same cold that's come back to kick my ass twice already.

18. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I went to staples for a few things ... nothing special or amazing. The thing that pisses me off, is that employees were obviously putting some of the laptops and TV's aside for their family and friends and before I event got in they said "no tvs or laptops"

I mean come on, get there 20 minutes early and stash your stuff, don't do it right infront of me!

19. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

This is the first black Friday I have ever attended. I drove directly to the Mall of America passed stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Max, Comp USA, and Wall*Mart. I had seen 100's of people sitting outside, in long lines, and parking lots FULL of cars, trucks, and even Media!

I got to the Mall at 5:20, the parking lot was mostly empty, and I walked into the nice warm building to head to the Apple Store. I got to the store at 5:30am and got in line (5th person) and waited in the warm building, talking to other Mac users that had been waiting a little longer, but where using free Wifi, sipping coffee, and sitting on the carpet waiting for the store to open.

The store opened at 6am I got in, bought my Macbook, and got home before 6:30am.

Compared to most stories on here, and personal ones I have witnessed, I had a luxurious experience on Black Friday :) .

Say something, don't quietly accept it. I am sure if a Manager found out, you would have gotten that.

20. imacintel macrumors 68000

Don't whine. You have a PS3, a Wii, and a 360. :D

21. GanChan macrumors 6502

So, is Black Friday basically over a few hours after it begins? I'd like to do some shopping -- not bargain-hunting, just shopping -- but I'd like to venture into a sane environment. (I wonder if the big-box stores even have anything left on their shelves?...)

22. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I came into work around 2:30 pm. As I was driving by the Shopping centers they were packed.

I forgot about christmas shopping starting up today. I was a few minutes late due to the added traffic.

Good luck if you are going out today or tonight.

23. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

I went to Staples this morning and got the Maxtor 200GB hard drive ($19.99 after Staples "Easy Rebate") and one of the Staples surge protectors (Free after Staples "Easy Rebate"). Naturally, I got stuck in the line with ridiculously slow cashiers. All I could do was stand there, helpless, as people in the other lines passed me by and happily walked out of the store. :(

I've had good success with Staples Easy Rebates. I usually get mine within 3-4 weeks with no hassles. Just go to the web site, put in the rebate codes and your info, and that's it!

I went to EB afterwards, but the line was well outside the store. (For what? There really weren't any great deals...) Needless to say, I left.

That was my Black Friday "experience." :D

24. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

my sister bought a 30 gig video ipod, case and care. i returned my fm transmitter for my ipod and rebought it saving almost 40$!!

25. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Well I didn't want either of the items, I just saw them hoarding them. At the same time, the units weren't there very long. The employees had friends and family in the line, even before me ready to buy them. So I guess they just beat the system, I just don't like it ... I was buying things for my dad otherwise I would have gone home and back to my warm bed.