Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Here's mine courtesy of an iSight:

Canon D30

Attachments

• Photo 54.jpg
    Photo 54.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 150

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
Panasonic DMC FZ30. Picked it up as a toe dipper, after years with Nikon SLR's. And I am enjoying the digital change from film based cameras.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
mine is sony cyber shot DSC T5 silver 5.1mega pixel. it's a great compact camera. I got it for christmas gift last year.

Attachments

• B000AANUCK.01.PT02._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1122655833_.jpg
    B000AANUCK.01.PT02._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1122655833_.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 59

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
mini.jpg

A very slow camera that you can get great images from!
eg
PIC_0067.jpg

root-1.jpg

sss_b.jpg

100-canon-a1.jpg

097-canon-ae1.jpg

hck_a.jpg

And several others

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Hey guys, I'd like som photography help. I have a Fujufil S5000 with a Digital high definition 0.45x wide angle lens with macro and a hoya hmc super 67mm uv(o) what ever that means. And it's really hard getting nice photosho with this. They always come out blurry, and I wanna take photos where it's like, focused onone thing, and the rest is blurry. I know for amazing color, photoshop can be used, but i'm jsut woundeering what I can do to get nice looking photos?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Is it a new-ish camera? I just went to the Fuji website and have no idea what 3.1 million effective pixels (6 million recorded pixels) means. :confused: However, cameras are generally described by the number of effective pixels they have, so the description on the Fuji website makes your camera appear to be a 3 MP camera or something even though it's probably not.

Um.....anyway, if you want to take non-blurry photos, take photos in decent lighting, and look through the viewfinder rather than at the LCD. This minimizes the amount of camera shaking that you do. And if you want to focus on a subject while making the background blurry, it's rather easy if you have the manual controls.

If you can change the aperture size (the setting that says f/2.8 or f/3.5, f/6.3, etc), then set it to f/2.8. If not, that's OK, because there are other ways. ;)

Take a photo of a subject with your lens "zoomed in" completely (ie: so that you can see things that are far away) and take a photo of your subject, say a person, at a fairly close distance. Of course, you shouldn't take your photo so close to the person that her face or body doesn't fill the photo/frame, but you should get close enough to get the photograph you want without standing too far away with the lens is zoomed-in as much as possible. Oh, it also helps if the background is a bit further away than your subject.

Sooo.....

1) Zoom in all the way.
2) Change the aperture or f-number to as low a number as possible (ie: f/2.8, f/3.5, f/4, etc).
2) Get close to the subject, or close enough to get the photo you want.
3) Make sure the background is far behind the subject.

That'll help.

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Abstract said:
Is it a new-ish camera? I just went to the Fuji website and have no idea what 3.1 million effective pixels (6 million recorded pixels) means. :confused: However, cameras are generally described by the number of effective pixels they have, so the description on the Fuji website makes your camera appear to be a 3 MP camera or something even though it's probably not.

Um.....anyway, if you want to take non-blurry photos, take photos in decent lighting, and look through the viewfinder rather than at the LCD. This minimizes the amount of camera shaking that you do. And if you want to focus on a subject while making the background blurry, it's rather easy if you have the manual controls.

If you can change the aperture size (the setting that says f/2.8 or f/3.5, f/6.3, etc), then set it to f/2.8. If not, that's OK, because there are other ways. ;)

Take a photo of a subject with your lens "zoomed in" completely (ie: so that you can see things that are far away) and take a photo of your subject, say a person, at a fairly close distance. Of course, you shouldn't take your photo so close to the person that her face or body doesn't fill the photo/frame, but you should get close enough to get the photograph you want without standing too far away with the lens is zoomed-in as much as possible. Oh, it also helps if the background is a bit further away than your subject.

Sooo.....

1) Zoom in all the way.
2) Change the aperture or f-number to as low a number as possible (ie: f/2.8, f/3.5, f/4, etc).
2) Get close to the subject, or close enough to get the photo you want.
3) Make sure the background is far behind the subject.

That'll help.

I have f/3.2, 3.6, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.6, 6.3, 7, 8 and 9.
Zooming in all the way is ALOT of zoom.
I belive it's a 3 MP, but I have the option to pick forom 2-6. Less MPs, more photos.

http://www2.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/cameras/s5000/index.php?lpage=/digital/cameras/range.php&flash=8

I tryed focusing on something, and haveing the rest blur..

mixer16jl.jpg

I wanted the faders to be clear and the knobs to be blurry, didnt work out well, and theres alot of noise i find in the photo.

Thanks for your help Btw.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Abstract said:
But the building is slanted! How is this good? :confused:

The building isn't just slanted, it's twisted too!
Here's a shot with the same camera when the it's kept still:

PIC_0066.jpg

Now here's the other shot again.
PIC_0067.jpg

Notice how it's all curved?
I turned the camera 90º as it wrote the image to the card.
The only thing I used Photoshop for is to resize the image

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
DJMastaWes said:
I have f/3.2, 3.6, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.6, 6.3, 7, 8 and 9.
Zooming in all the way is ALOT of zoom.
I belive it's a 3 MP, but I have the option to pick forom 2-6. Less MPs, more photos.

http://www2.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/cameras/s5000/index.php?lpage=/digital/cameras/range.php&flash=8

I tryed focusing on something, and haveing the rest blur..

mixer16jl.jpg

I wanted the faders to be clear and the knobs to be blurry, didnt work out well, and theres alot of noise i find in the photo.

Thanks for your help Btw.

Oops, you're right. You don't have to zoom in that much with your Fuji. :p Your zoom is 10x. I knew that, but completely didn't think about your camera when explaining to you. Sorry.

Firstly, that photo was obviously taken under low light. You need to change the camera to manual mode and set the ISO to like 200, or 400 max, since you don't want noise. ISO 200 would be much much better. However, you also don't want blurry unsharp images (obviously), so don't take the photo handheld. Either that, or get better lighting in the area of your mixing board. Don't set it to 800 even if it allows you to.

If you have a tripod or some other way of keeping the camera still, then use it. I don't care if it's a barstool with a bunch of textbooks and your camera stacked on top. The reason your photos are blurry may be due to the low light. Your camera may be automatically using a longer exposure time to gather more light because the light levels are so low, and that makes taking sharp photos impossible if you handhold your camera while shooting.

Secondly, what did your camera focus when you took that photo? A little square or something should show up on your LCD on what it's focusing on, I think. A lot of times it'll focus on the closest decent-sized object.

TRY THIS:

1. Set your camera to manual mode.

2. Set your aperture to f/3.2

3. Set your ISO to 400 if the light is still rather low (ie: would you read a book in that room?). Don't set it to 800. Setting it to ISO 100 would be preferrable.

4. Play with the exposure time on several shots to get what you want.

If you had better lighting, you wouldn't need to be so careful about #3 or #4.

The Fun Bit:
5. Point your camera at what you wish to focus on. Make sure it's focusing on the slider(s) you want to be in focus, and make sure that this slider is in the middle of your frame/LCD. Then hold the shutter button halfway down.

6. While holding the button down, tilt your camera so that your sliders are located along the bottom or bottom-left of your frame, like in the example photo you gave me. Don't worry, they'll still be in focus when you take the photo.

7. Press the shutter button all the way down, and use your tripod/barstool + books/chair + books to help balance the camera while the photo is being taken.

8. Post your results here. :)

And here are some examples of what I think you want. You want gradual blurring as you move away from your subject, right?

Attachments

• DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC_0035.JPG
    DSC_0035.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 104

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2005
1136-canon-powershot-a510.jpg

Canon Powershot A510 to pricy for the image it takes but it's OK.

4.jpg

Not digital but this is my favorite camera.:) Nikon N55

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Abstract said:
Oops, you're right. You don't have to zoom in that much with your Fuji. :p Your zoom is 10x. I knew that, but completely didn't think about your camera when explaining to you. Sorry.

Firstly, that photo was obviously taken under low light. You need to change the camera to manual mode and set the ISO to like 200, or 400 max, since you don't want noise. ISO 200 would be much much better. However, you also don't want blurry unsharp images (obviously), so don't take the photo handheld. Either that, or get better lighting in the area of your mixing board. Don't set it to 800 even if it allows you to.

If you have a tripod or some other way of keeping the camera still, then use it. I don't care if it's a barstool with a bunch of textbooks and your camera stacked on top. The reason your photos are blurry may be due to the low light. Your camera may be automatically using a longer exposure time to gather more light because the light levels are so low, and that makes taking sharp photos impossible if you handhold your camera while shooting.

Secondly, what did your camera focus when you took that photo? A little square or something should show up on your LCD on what it's focusing on, I think. A lot of times it'll focus on the closest decent-sized object.

TRY THIS:

1. Set your camera to manual mode.

2. Set your aperture to f/3.2

3. Set your ISO to 400 if the light is still rather low (ie: would you read a book in that room?). Don't set it to 800. Setting it to ISO 100 would be preferrable.

4. Play with the exposure time on several shots to get what you want.

If you had better lighting, you wouldn't need to be so careful about #3 or #4.

The Fun Bit:
5. Point your camera at what you wish to focus on. Make sure it's focusing on the slider(s) you want to be in focus, and make sure that this slider is in the middle of your frame/LCD. Then hold the shutter button halfway down.

6. While holding the button down, tilt your camera so that your sliders are located along the bottom or bottom-left of your frame, like in the example photo you gave me. Don't worry, they'll still be in focus when you take the photo.

7. Press the shutter button all the way down, and use your tripod/barstool + books/chair + books to help balance the camera while the photo is being taken.

8. Post your results here. :)

And here are some examples of what I think you want. You want gradual blurring as you move away from your subject, right?

Yea that's what I want.
I put the ISO to 400. But i don't have a manual mode and exposior setting. That I know of.

I tryed takeing another photoof the mixing board. I can't even see it, it's way to bright becuase it's sunny outside. Yesterday I took at at night.

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
@ Abstract, good news, I played around with some settings and I took an AWESOME pic of my mixing board... I made it into a wallpaper if anyone wants it.

Orignial:

Photoshoped Image:

What do you think? It's alot better then the first pic I posted. Thanks for your help man. Anyway sorry to go off topic in this thread.

Wallpapers:
http://img278.imageshack.us/img278/9691/mixingboardwallpaper24ae.jpg
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/6904/mixingboardwallpaper8fy.jpg

EDIT: I just took this...

leafs3lt.jpg

Thanks for all your help man, it's going to be so much fun takeing pics now. Now all I wish is that I could take tons and store/edit them on my current computer, but it's to slow for that. So I gotta wait a bit untill I get the MBP.

Thanks again!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Wow, we probably just killed this thread. :p

Yes, the new photos are obviously much much better. Just a suggestion, though......

See how the 3rd and 4th slider things on the right are blurrier than the 1st and 2nd sliders on the left? It would probably be better if the 4th one was the most in focus, and the 1st and 2nd sliders were the most blurry. ;)

But as long as you understand....... doing a combination of things such as zooming in a bit, standing close, and using a large aperture (ie: f/3.2 on your camera) will help make stuff in the background blurry.

I can do this with my little Canon SD300 point and shoot, which is a tiny camera with a few manual settings. I can't do it well, but well enough that I'm happy. Your camera seems much much more capable for this. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.