Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Ok, before everyone starts screaming at me that there is a forum post exactly like this one... You are right, there is a "Show off your Mac setups" thread. It's a great thread that I visit regularly and have already noted some good ideas.

The problem with the thread is that there are so many people talking over one another. If someone asks "hey @user, what desk is that?", that person might not answer for ages and it's just difficult to follow.

So the reason for this post is that I am redecorating the dining room and turning it more into a man cave type room. This one area that I want to get perfect is my computer area.

Essentially the "computer area" is a 50cm deep alcove that is around 140cm wide. To give myself wiggle room on either side I intend for the computer desk to be 120cm wide and 80cm deep. I will then be having shelves mounted above the desk that will hold a DVD player, TIVO box and my PS4, but to be honest I think finding shelves is going to easy to sort once I have found a desk that i like. My main concern is find a desk.

So, what I am suggesting and hoping that you guys will help me with is essentially:
1. Posting pictures of your current setup
2. Explain what the furniture and other items featured in their image are and where you bought them and for how much.
3. Things that really bugs you about the items you work with; issues that maybe you didn't realise were going to cause you issues when setup in this way.

So my current thoughts on what I am looking for:

Desk surface
• I am open to any colour at all, white, black, dark and light woods. Anything.
• I would love a chunky/thick desk say around 5cm/2in.
• Shape wise; I am no opposed to corner desks or ergonomic decks.
• The desk will be supporting 2 24-inch monitors and I plan on using monitor mounting arms that clamp onto the desk at the back.

Legs
• It really needs to a simple four in each corner kinda leg system as I have a large sub woofer under there amongst other things.

Other
• I am interested in seeing custom made desks too. While I would probably not attempt to build it myself, I do know a carpenter who might be able to create something similar if I can be done in a day or two.
• I like the idea of having a small, low-ish shelf on top and under it, have LED lights that not only look cool, but that actually provide some useful light. I also like the ideas of LED downlights on the first, lowest shelf.

Stuff I'm Not interested In
• Pull out keyboard trays
• Drawers that run the entire length of the desk. Drawers on one or either side are ok.

If you have read this then thank you. I appreciate that it is a lot of stuff to read and given that we all have our iPhones to hand 24/7 these days, it shouldn't take longer than 10minutes of your free time to take some pics and tell me a little about your setup.

To those who read, thank you. To those who contribute, massive thank you.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
From what you've stated, it sounds like your best option for the desk surface would be to go to a lumber store and purchase the desktop. You can often have it cut to spec at the store as well. You know the exact dimensions you want already, and finding the legs to support it is simple. Especially if you have access to an Ikea.

With raw wood, you can stain or paint it yourself and get the look you want. I currently am using an Ikea desk and legs, but don't have the same constraints on size. I like it and have been using this desk for about 2 years now. The one thing I wish I had is some form of cable management built in. For instance, a hole and grommet on the back of the desktop to route my cables through. Instead, I have them all flowing off the back, making it hard to grab them all with a zip tie in a neat way.

There are other options for cable management that you could integrate. Ikea has a few. I use the power surge boxes by Bluleounge to help. The shelves above your desk could also be purchased at a lumber store, and then installed easily by using 2" wood wedges to support each shelf on the ends since it's an alcove. That way you can ensure the proper depth for your electronics, and make sure they can hold the weight. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
il_fullxfull.390528546_dt1f.jpg

someone posted this rendering awhile ago. really nice looking I think if someone could make it real.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

The idea of making a home-made desk does sound like a possibility as I am aiming for a specific look and feel. I am going to ask a carpenter friend who can possibly do this and give me a price. Then as suggested, buy some legs from Ikea.

Unless I missed it... what is your budget?

It really depends. I was looking at spending around £150 perhaps. But for the 'product' I might be tempted to pay a little more.

Thanks

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Hi,

This isn't meant from an offensive stance at all, but what exactly are you looking for? I realize that you're looking for setup inspiration, but your post is mainly focusing on a desk. You seem to very clearly know what you are looking for in terms of a desk, so you are looking for someone to post a picture as close to that idea of a desk as possible? What more does someone posting their setup here offer than it does in the main thread, or what is missing from the main thread? Follow up posts or activity?

I am truly just trying to understand in order to help.

pollaxe

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
West of England
Hi Stuppy,

At around £500, it's expensive and well outside of the £150(ish) budget but seeing the desk dimensions and the configuration of the desk you mentioned, I thought of the WH version of the BlueLounge Studio desk. This is 120 cm wide though not quite as deep as you mentioned at 70 cm, it's about 3 cm thick on the desk top itself. (There are compartments so the overall thickness isn't quite as straightforward as that!) They also do an XL version but that would be too wide for your computer alcove at 150 cm (and it's a penny shy of £699 on Amazon!)
g8ngi35.jpg

There's also this, by Woodquail which is (roughly) a bamboo equivalent at 120 cm wide and a shade deeper at 70.5 cm and still outside the budget at £279 and a little chunkier at 8 cm thickness.

tDNX6Xk.jpg

Both have pull-out tops but they're not keyboard trays, they're for getting at the storage compartments below the desk surface.)

I've been looking for desks for the past several months and I've found it really difficult to find something I liked and which fitted into where it needs to go. (It's going to be in a 'man cave' with sloping ceilings. In the end, I went with the BlueLounge XL but it only arrived yesterday and it's waiting to be assembled and is lying in several pieces about ten feet away, as I type this. So, no setup photos are available at present.

Obviously, you don't have to go for either of these but they might help for inspiration for custom builds, if nothing else. Good luck!

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
I own this desk, it's from Ikea. I have had it for over 15 years. I like the curves - I'm not into rectangles. It's got a birch laminate top. inside it's some sort of composite material. The legs are powder coated grey. Mine has casters so it's easy to move around, but I rarely do.

The only thing I don't like is the quality of the desk material. I've moved twice and the screws on the legs are getting looser each time. It's worked well though. This is an image I googled,

$_86.JPG

Here is it setup in my home,

2988063957_8bcca8fb5b_o.jpg

Color-wise, it works well because I have a titanium Aeron chair and it matches the grey. The chair in the above photo is a Herman Miller Caper (my kitchen chairs).

If I were to do it again, I'd use finished plywood, because I like that look and repurpose the legs. Here's a nice setup,

http://www.norcalmod.com/2013/11/lauras-zebrawood-desk.html

I like custom design because I can design it exactly the way I want.

Good luck and have fun!

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
It might not be exactly what you're looking for but I just got this desk and have been very impressed with the design and quality of it. It's an IKEA HEMNES desk, and as you can see it could even fit 3 24" displays if you wanted. It's made of pine, not particleboard.

gfS6s1B.jpg

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
If you post the room you are planning for your desk that helps most. Not every piece of furniture goes in every room.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Rather than support the desk surface with legs, you can also install cleats around the alcove and allow the desk surface to rest on those cleats. You can easily drill holes for cables etc and use grommets to clean up the look. You can also use the cleat mounting for the shelves above the desk, as well.

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
Rather than support the desk surface with legs, you can also install cleats around the alcove and allow the desk surface to rest on those cleats. You can easily drill holes for cables etc and use grommets to clean up the look. You can also use the cleat mounting for the shelves above the desk, as well.

Yes, that's what it's called, cleats! That's what I was trying to describe in my post. Great idea to do that for the desk surface as well! I wish I had a space that allowed it. :)

Pweeter

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2014
Sweden
It might not be exactly what you're looking for but I just got this desk and have been very impressed with the design and quality of it. It's an IKEA HEMNES desk, and as you can see it could even fit 3 24" displays if you wanted. It's made of pine, not particleboard.

gfS6s1B.jpg

Agree using the same desk but in a light brownish color, and it sturdy and have great cable management features and is all around really stylish and practical (got mine when they got rid of the color i wanted, got it for less than half the price)

Attachments

• IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0351.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,300

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Agree with others who have found favour with the Hemnes desk; at one time, this was the sort of desk I had my eye on, as it is an attractive piece, and well made from solid wood.

Reactions: Pweeter

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
Here's my new setup. My old desk was a IKEA Jonas (now called Malm) desk and it was a bit cramped for my liking. This is a combination of two Tornliden table tops with Adlis legs. Underneath the iMac G4 is a Malm 2 drawer cabinet. I played around with having the monitors in the corner but didn't like sitting in the corner. What I like the most about this setup is the amount of work space I have for writing, working on my laptop / iMac, etc.

Hope this is a little inspiration / help for you. I certainly am very pleased with this setup.
IMG_20150708_152407.jpg

Yotsuba

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2010
Newport News, Virginia
A bit cluttered according to most, but it works for me. Since I took this picture, I've replaced the 27" LG Flatron E2742 with a Dell P2715Q. I've also added a third monitor to the right.

11402649_10206939015296187_4827408285884494459_o.jpg

Reactions: macuser27

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Glass desk with massive file cabinet I bought from Crate and Barell store several years ago but I understand you don't like keyboard tray but it can be removed. I don't know the price because I got them for free :)

IMG_0147.jpg

sofiya

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2015
Ok, before everyone starts screaming at me that there is a forum post exactly like this one... You are right, there is a "Show off your Mac setups" thread. It's a great thread that I visit regularly and have already noted some good ideas.

The problem with the thread is that there are so many people talking over one another. If someone asks "hey @user, what desk is that?", that person might not answer for ages and it's just difficult to follow.

So the reason for this post is that I am redecorating the dining room and turning it more into a man cave type room. This one area that I want to get perfect is my computer area.

Essentially the "computer area" is a 50cm deep alcove that is around 140cm wide. To give myself wiggle room on either side I intend for the computer desk to be 120cm wide and 80cm deep. I will then be having shelves mounted above the desk that will hold a DVD player, TIVO box and my PS4, but to be honest I think finding shelves is going to easy to sort once I have found a desk that i like. My main concern is find a desk.

So, what I am suggesting and hoping that you guys will help me with is essentially:
1. Posting pictures of your current setup
2. Explain what the furniture and other items featured in their image are and where you bought them and for how much.
3. Things that really bugs you about the items you work with; issues that maybe you didn't realise were going to cause you issues when setup in this way.

So my current thoughts on what I am looking for:

Desk surface
• I am open to any colour at all, white, black, dark and light woods. Anything.
• I would love a chunky/thick desk say around 5cm/2in.
• Shape wise; I am no opposed to corner desks or ergonomic decks.
• The desk will be supporting 2 24-inch monitors and I plan on using monitor mounting arms that clamp onto the desk at the back.

Legs
• It really needs to a simple four in each corner kinda leg system as I have a large sub woofer under there amongst other things.

Other
• I am interested in seeing custom made desks too. While I would probably not attempt to build it myself, I do know a carpenter who might be able to create something similar if I can be done in a day or two.
• I like the idea of having a small, low-ish shelf on top and under it, have LED lights that not only look cool, but that actually provide some useful light. I also like the ideas of LED downlights on the first, lowest shelf.

Stuff I'm Not interested In
• Pull out keyboard trays
• Drawers that run the entire length of the desk. Drawers on one or either side are ok.

If you have read this then thank you. I appreciate that it is a lot of stuff to read and given that we all have our iPhones to hand 24/7 these days, it shouldn't take longer than 10minutes of your free time to take some pics and tell me a little about your setup.

To those who read, thank you. To those who contribute, massive thank you.

Hello, Dear,

I have a few references for you please have a look at I hope it will help you to decorate your computer room or your desk.
http://www.houzz.com/computer-room
http://porch.com/advice/chic-ways-to-decorate-your-desk/
http://porch.com/advice/7-budget-friendly-ways-to-dress-up-your-home-office/

Reactions: BenTrovato
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.