Post your favourite UK based Widgets

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacSA, May 6, 2005.

1. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Haven't seen many about yet....so this thread will probably disappear off the page pretty quick. :rolleyes:

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I only really know of the UK Train Timetable widget

But that's incredibly useful; infinitely faster than National Rail's Live Departure Board website. It's helped me leave the house early enough twice this week to catch the late-running 'early' train rather than getting to the station to discover the normal one is also late and making me late for work. ;)

There is one for Yell.com too but since the results come back in Safari anyhow, I've never bothered downloading it.

3. MacSA thread starter macrumors 68000

MacSA

Thanks for your response..ONE response LOL..... I guess that says how useful Dashboard is going to be to UK users. :p

4. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    The weather one is reasonably useful ... and about as accurate as all other weather predictions ... ;)

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

But I'm using lots of other widgets that work in the UK; like weather, Jwire and the Dictionary app (even tho it uses the OAD, it does reference UK spelling and definitions so it's not quite so bad as I feared it might be). The iComic Dilbert is also becoming a favourite.

I'm sure we'll see more when UK developers figure out which online resources to use. I've seen specific weather widgets for Norway, restaurant menus in Germany so I'm sure at some point, we'll end up with UK TopTable restaurant lookups and BBC weather forecasts etc. Another part of the problem might be that many UK websites make you register before you can use their service; directory enquiries, postcode lookups, TV listings all require registration so widgets aren't going to be easy for lone developers to come up with unless they send the user to register beforehand.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

There's a new UK Yellow Pages widget now that brings back the results within Dashboard rather than opening Safari

7. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Thats great thanks Applespider, must have missed it. So annoying the Yell one that opened in Safari

8. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Looks like the old problems of Sherlock are returning, here (US bias)

9. skp574 macrumors 6502

The Yellow Pages widget made by Onar is a bit buggy. I did a few searches and now if I enter any text it will not get any results. Just leave a blank area.

I did a search and clicked on a link to open a browser page, and after that it won't find anything else. Sometimes it just sits on searching and doesn't come back with any results.

10. Deej macrumors regular

I'm trying to find a weight converter, that converts from kg to uk stones / pounds - the default converter with dashboard doesn't do this which is mighty annoying!

Anybody seen one on their travels? I haven't as yet...