Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
Turns out the case I used to love so much looks terrible on Jet Black. It sort of sticks to it.

Spigen Crystal Clear Air Cushion

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    810.8 KB · Views: 8,079

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
please tell me this isn't what it'll look like for all the jet black iPhone
I have a spigen ultra hybrid case as well.
I just looked up reviews and somebody else posted a picture just like this. I hope somebody comes up with a clever way to prevent this. Maybe some sort of coating like a wax that will make it less sticky/tacky/grippy?

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
Looks like there's some condensation build up.
It looks like it but there's not. It's a fresh clean phone. I removed the factory plastic and I wiped the phone down with a microfiber cloth. I took the case brand new out of the package where it had a desiccant sachet.

What's making it look like that is where the clear shiny case adheres to the clear shiny phone. It's like a glass screen protector on the screen of a phone except it doesn't seal quite as well so it only sticks in some spots. I can kind of push it to make it stick in other spots too but it doesn't like to stay adhered near the edges. It only stays in the middle.

cjrulli

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
It looks like it but there's not. It's a fresh clean phone. I removed the factory plastic and I wiped the phone down with a microfiber cloth. I took the case brand new out of the package where it had a desiccant sachet.

What's making it look like that is where the clear shiny case adheres to the clear shiny phone. It's like a glass screen protector on the screen of a phone except it doesn't seal quite as well so it only sticks in some spots. I can kind of push it to make it stick in other spots too but it doesn't like to stay adhered near the edges. It only stays in the middle.

Same thing going on with the Spigen Ultra Hyrbid with my JB. Look's pretty bad for such a nice phone. But I didn't plan on using a case anyways, just waiting on a skin.

Tokenfreak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
I wonder if you put a back protector on the phone and then put it in the case if it would like that?

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
The Spigen Liquid Crystal has tiny dots on the inside that stops that sticking/watermarking.

Doesn't the Air Cushion?

Reactions: deb90

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
If the case sticks to it I would imagine you could scuff up the inside of the case a little to make it rougher and less likely to stick to the phone. That or if there is a clear case that has a satin texture on the inside, just something that isn't so smooth.

SDM44

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
Los Angeles
I put mine into a cheap black carbon fiber case, and it looks good with the jet black showing. It's gripping in the corners and the sides come up over the glass so if the phone face down, the glass doesn't touch the table. Also the camera doesn't touch the table when I set it down, yet it feels much slimmer than my Magpul case I normally ran on my 6.

Only $9 on Ebay, and way better than the 3 different clear cases I bought (wasted money on) for my 7.

302.jpg

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
I put mine into a cheap black carbon fiber case, and it looks good with the jet black showing. It's gripping in the corners and the sides come up over the glass so if the phone face down, the glass doesn't touch the table. Also the camera doesn't touch the table when I set it down, yet it feels much slimmer than my Magpul case I normally ran on my 6.

Only $9 on Ebay, and way better than the 3 different clear cases I bought (wasted money on) for my 7.

302.jpg
I like that a lot. I wish it showed the Apple logo though, but that's not that big of a deal. Much better than these ugly clear cases (that I thought would look awesome).

d0hv

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2015
Turns out the case I used to love so much looks terrible on Jet Black. It sort of sticks to it.

I found the solution for that. On Amazon there is a video from Spigen where you have to let the case sit for 5 minutes before putting the phone in.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013

What may work is a puff of baby powder. Hold the phone about 6 inches or so over the top of a baby powder bottle, and squeeze the bottle where it puffs out. That should be enough on it where it won't stick like that. It was an old trick with the Otterbox case and the iPhone to keep the phone screen from sticking to it and looking weird.

Brownbox88

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
FL
What seller on ebay did you buy that iPhone 7 case from? From the angle of the picture, it looks almost like real woven CF.

302.jpg

nawoo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Why would you use a case to hide the beauty of the jet black?

Just get a naked transparent skin wrap to protect the back, temper glass screen protector for the front.

Reactions: Geert76 and Illogix

rwkleinjr

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I found the solution for that. On Amazon there is a video from Spigen where you have to let the case sit for 5 minutes before putting the phone in.

Had the same exact problem with my Daswise case (sticking to the back of the JB+) and separating them for 5 minutes did the trick.

Not a fan of my case though - it has a jet black bumper that looks really good with the phone, and I love the protection, but it collects fingerprints seemingly 10x worse than the phone itself.

Why would you use a case to hide the beauty of the jet black?

Just get a naked transparent skin wrap to protect the back, temper glass screen protector for the front.

I have both of those things coming, but BestSkinsEver hasn't shipped my full body protector yet. Can't wait to get it because this thing feels incredible in the hand when naked.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
oh MY! That bulbous thing is fugly!
Ya, I actually agree with you. I had the case on for about a day before I decided it was too ugly. I'm now using a Fosmon jet black case https://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-DURA-...74640406&sr=8-7&keywords=fosmon+iphone+7+case which looks nice, except it covers up the Apple logo and it doesn't wrap around the front of the screen much. It's pretty much even with the front of the phone so if I place it face down on a table then the glass will touch.

It looks much better on the Jet Black phone then it does on the Rose Gold in the stock photo. I don't have another device with me and I can't even find a mirror to take a picture of it.

Last edited:

d0hv

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2015
Had the same exact problem with my Daswise case (sticking to the back of the JB+) and separating them for 5 minutes did the trick.

Not a fan of my case though - it has a jet black bumper that looks really good with the phone, and I love the protection, but it collects fingerprints seemingly 10x worse than the phone itself.

I have both of those things coming, but BestSkinsEver hasn't shipped my full body protector yet. Can't wait to get it because this thing feels incredible in the hand when naked.
The supposed solution doesn't work, my the water marks/air bubbles come with back on the case despite doing what Spigen says. And that sucks because this case is awesome looking. I'll just get an Apple leather case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.