Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2009
Why does your desk have curtains?

As pudrums guessed, it is for cable management. It was supposed to be a temporary solution, but I just kept it. Right now I have my computer, an external HDD, a subwoofer, and all the wires behind that corner curtain because in my previous setup that's where my legs went (I sat in the corner). Even before that setup I used to have an Xbox, Mac Mini, Subwoofer, an external HDD, and a wireless router all standing vertically in front of the curtain with the wires behind it (that's why the rips are there). I suppose I could move the remaining items back out in front of the rips like they used to be. Should I?

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get the cable management thing down. I feel like I just have too many wires.

I have: 2 monitors, Mac Mini, Speakers & Sub, 2 Externals HD's, Router, Xbox 360, iPod Dock and a Blackberry dock.

(some of this is new so I haven't quite set it up right yet for pictures, but i'll have one soon)

I really wish I could hire one of you awesome people to come over and manage my cables (heh). It drives me insane!

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get the cable management thing down. I feel like I just have too many wires.

I have: 2 monitors, Mac Mini, Speakers & Sub, 2 Externals HD's, Router, Xbox 360, iPod Dock and a Blackberry dock.

(some of this is new so I haven't quite set it up right yet for pictures, but i'll have one soon)

I really wish I could hire one of you awesome people to come over and manage my cables (heh). It drives me insane!
A roll of duct tape is a good start. That stuff is great for creating a permanent setup. Also, for me what is most important is making sure the desk is big enough in the first place. Too many people try to cram too much on a small desk. Really, you should be aiming for as large as the space allows. :)

bibi2205

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2010
It's connected to the Macbook/Pro to the left of it. You can see the three cables from the 24" Cinema Display in the side of the Macbook.

It's a bit dark on my screens but I assumed that it was connected to the MBP. :)

Small update from me:

Bought the mStand yesterday and the Apple Wireless Keyboard today, so it was time to rearrange a few things:

I have to completely redo the cables soon but it's just another temporary setup, although I probably won't change much (might put the PS3 on a stand behind the MBP, I don't trust the stability without one).

Cool Runnings

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
Sweden
Took it outside in the "wild" today, but the bright yellow daystar :cool: made my MBP hot with spinning fans and a the screen dim and dark to read so i was soon indoors again in the sofa surfing away.

mbp-sjobo6.jpg

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
Jonas Ikea

CALLING ANYONE WITH THE IKEA JONAS DESK

I've just bought the Desk with the pull out panel, and the dimensions aren't quite what I was told by Ikea ( a direct email) So now I'm looking at making the pull out panel into a shelf. This means I need to get rid of a bookcase which didn't match anyway and was far too small for books as it is actually a dvd rack.

Please could somebody with the JONAS draws please PM or post on here the internal dimensions of the top and bottom draw i.e the height of the top draw and height of the bottom draw. As well as the overall depth when the draw is pulled out i.e front of open draw to the back of the unit.Could you also comment on if you think the bottom draw is strong enough to hold a few heavy books ?

Heres the Draws I mean :http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30110709

Thank you so much!

Kendio7

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2010
Loving the setups in this thread! Hopefully when I get hold of a decent camera I can finally post mine.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Well folks, I've been looking, researching and not doing anything about a new desk for some time now. I finally picked the task up again and by PURE LUCK, I ran into an ex-co-worker who explained they had some cubicles to get rid of. That positive thinking my wife's been telling me about paid off!

So after a few truck trips and hours of putting the desk together, cutting another middle piece to use as a shelf and starting at the empty desk trying to plan where to put all of my gear, here it is

I bought supporting legs from IKEA to help with the weight.

Every cable is labelled at the start and end destinations. I've tried to tie as many cables together as I can. I'm going to wait a few months to ensure I don't move anything around then will buy some velcro straps.

Still to come:

- will move the white imac out and into the living room to be the 'family' computer

- need to set up my nikon coolscan

- a few more A/V pieces need to be set up beside the filing cabinet on the right hand side

- researching new speakers - so far looking at the Rokit line as I need flat sounding speakers for the accuracy of my client tape transfers

- waiting until Monday or later next week to see if Apple announces a new 27" monitor so I can see whether or not the 24" display refurbs drop in price (or buy NEC, Dell or Samsung screens - they have to be fantastic for colour accuracy). It's hard for me to get away from Apple b/c I've been a huge fan of the 20" display I paid big bucks for almost 6 years ago

Attachments

• desk1.jpg
    desk1.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 412
  • desk2.jpg
    desk2.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 583

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
Well folks, I've been looking, researching and not doing anything about a new desk for some time now. I finally picked the task up again and by PURE LUCK, I ran into an ex-co-worker who explained they had some cubicles to get rid of. That positive thinking my wife's been telling me about paid off!

So after a few truck trips and hours of putting the desk together, cutting another middle piece to use as a shelf and starting at the empty desk trying to plan where to put all of my gear, here it is

Every cable is labelled at the start and end destinations. I've tried to tie as many cables together as I can. I'm going to wait a few months to ensure I don't move anything around then will buy some velcro straps.

Still to come:

- will move the white imac out and into the living room to be the 'family' computer

- a few more A/V pieces need to be set up beside the filing cabinet on the right hand side

- researching new speakers - so far looking at the Rokit line as I need flat sounding speakers for the accuracy of my client tape transfers

- waiting until Monday or later next week to see if Apple announces a new 27" monitor so I can see whether or not the 24" display refurbs drop in price (or buy NEC, Dell or Samsung screens - they have to be fantastic for colour accuracy). It's hard for me to get away from Apple b/c I've been a huge fan of the 20" display I paid big bucks for almost 6 years ago

:O What do you do for a living?

iGoogler

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009

Still to come:

God, you could make that look soo soo much better. Do you use all those Mac Pros? Though, sending me over one or two of those Mac Pro's would also make it look cleaner :)

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
OMG keebler! WTH! thats incredible!

specs please, or else :p

Thanks! :)

My business is audio, video and photographic transfers. Everything from editing old photos for reprint to slide scanning to transferring VHS and camcorder tapes. I've been the stay at home dad for 8.5 years and running this biz for 7'ish years. I'm gearing up (no pun intended) for when my youngest enters full time school in the fall

as for specs:
g4 1.25 dually 2gb ram
g5 2.0 dually 5 gb ram
2006 mac pro 2.66 11 gb ram
2009 mac pro quad 2.66 8 gb ram
2007 iMac 2.16
2008 mbpro 2.26 (I think?) maxed out ram
8 external hard drives (some purely for system backups and the rest for using between machines)
4 printers (not shown)
and a pile of a/v equipment

I'm really excited for next week so I can decide which way to go monitor wise
Right now, the 2 17" displays are used for the g4 and g5 and the 20" acd is on a KVM switch.

Sometimes, all the macs are in use. It depends on what I'm doing. The g4 and g5 are my transfer machines and the 2 mac pros are my work horses. The mbpro is used for bookkeeping and for bringing to client meetings when necessary. Imac is used for graphic work although I'm slowly transitioning that over to my 2009 mac pro.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Thanks! :)

My business is audio, video and photographic transfers. Everything from editing old photos for reprint to slide scanning to transferring VHS and camcorder tapes. I've been the stay at home dad for 8.5 years and running this biz for 7'ish years. I'm gearing up (no pun intended) for when my youngest enters full time school in the fall

as for specs:

I'm really excited for next week so I can decide which way to go monitor wise
Right now, the 2 17" displays are used for the g4 and g5 and the 20" acd is on a KVM switch.

Sometimes, all the macs are in use. It depends on what I'm doing. The g4 and g5 are my transfer machines and the 2 mac pros are my work horses. The mbpro is used for bookkeeping and for bringing to client meetings when necessary. Imac is used for graphic work although I'm slowly transitioning that over to my 2009 mac pro.

wow congrats man! must be pretty satisfying not to drive through traffic each day ;) i HATE my drive to work :(

had you explored using VNC to remote into the other computers? that way you dont really need the KVM. it will not give 100% of the experience, but for some of the machines that you copy data with etc, it doesnt matter about responsiveness.

your power bill must be so so high! the business is going good i see?? lucky man :D

MacJones

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Arizona
Before:
8936cb40.jpg

New Desk and Chair on opposite side of the room now:
IMG_0076.jpg

New Display and Magic Mouse:
IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

Going to fix the wires tomorrow, just bought the display earlier today.
IMG_0081.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality, took these with my iPhone at night.

Jackers008

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2009
My simple setup

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

Early 2009 24" iMac
3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB Ram
1TB HD
Wireless keyboard
Wireless Mighty Mouse

Kendio7

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2010
My setup. Simple but I like it. Just need a new monitor and then i'm all set. Also in progress of getting some cable management for the wires coming from the TV.

Xbox 360
Macbook Pro 15" 2010
LG 19" Monitor (Was my PC monitor)
Apple Wireless Keyboard (Bought today and love it!)
Logitech Mouse (Not sure what model)
Creative Speakers
Blackberry Curve 8900 (Waiting for the iPhone update)

Under Desk:
Packard Bell iMedia | Windows 7 (Replaced by the Macbook Pro)

Out of picture:
32" Philips HDTV
Sky Box

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    907.2 KB · Views: 299
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1,022.6 KB · Views: 318
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    825.3 KB · Views: 309

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
wow congrats man! must be pretty satisfying not to drive through traffic each day ;) i HATE my drive to work :(

had you explored using VNC to remote into the other computers? that way you dont really need the KVM. it will not give 100% of the experience, but for some of the machines that you copy data with etc, it doesnt matter about responsiveness.

your power bill must be so so high! the business is going good i see?? lucky man :D

I've thought about the VNC and I may use it later, but if I continue to get busier, I'll simply break this apart so I have seperate workstation/lab-like setups. Time will tell. :)

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
I've thought about the VNC and I may use it later, but if I continue to get busier, I'll simply break this apart so I have seperate workstation/lab-like setups. Time will tell. :)

Rather than VNC you can just use screen sharing if they are all macs.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
ahhh right fair enough then. totally your call. gives you an excuse to get more! :D

Rather than VNC you can just use screen sharing if they are all macs.

screen sharing uses the VNC protocol lol. i do prefer Apples Remote Desktop!!

edit: p.s. happy 2000th post! this thread is getting a tad large. please direct all replies to here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.