Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neuralengine

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2020
Ooh-I toyed with the idea of a mechanical keyboard but was worried it’d irritate the people in the room when I’m working. What’s it like to work with?
Not the OP but I’m pretty sure that that’s an HHKB. I use one, too. Mine is the HHKB Professional Hybrid Type-S. The S in Type-S stands for “silent”. It’s certainly not silent but it’s very, very quiet. Quieter than the Apple Magic Keyboards and much quieter than mechanical keyboards. (It’s technically not a mechanical keyboard, strictly speaking, though it certainly looks like one.)

I’ve had mine for 3–4 years or so and I absolutely love it. I type a lot for work and find the sound and feel to be perfect. Do some research though, as some people dislike them.

It’s a somewhat quirky keyboard, and there is a learning curve of a few weeks as the keyboard doesn’t have dedicated arrow keys (arrows are accessible with Fn key combinations).

I should add, one of the nice surprises was that you can use the Vol_Dn, Vol_Up and Mute keys to control volume in macOS, and the ScrLk and Pus/Brk keys to control brightness!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.