Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZAPPAR

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
G3 333 (Gossamer Beige) Mini-Tower, 1 GHz Sonnet Processor, Sonnet SATA PCI Card, 2 - 250 GB Hitachi HD's (No Partition Limit), Sonnet USB/FW Card, ATI Radeon 9200 / 128MB Video Card, 756 MB RAM, OS 10.4.11

It runs like a top, but it can't operate the $1300 wide format printer & scanner I bought along with it in 1997. Epson Stopped Supporting those in 2001. :cool:

MaxUbiquitous

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
Mine is now with my aunt. It's a Blue & white G3 with a G4 500MHz, 1GB RAM, 40+30GB HD and a Radeon 7000 32MB. Also added a USB 2.0 PCI card for her camera and replaced both stock fans with high end Antec dual ball bearing. It's painted like the one in my signature but with spray paint rather than car paint.

I set it up for her with 10.4.11, office 2004 and iphoto 08. She is very content with the performance as all she does is web, personal photos and use word.

Forgot to add that I bought this B&W new in 99. Had it ever since and it still runs 100% great.

A photo:

201497790_08eb9e31bb_o.jpg

way nicer than the stock bw's..

Time Clock

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2004
Hemet, CA
I have a Performa 5200. Yes, I know it's supposed to be a road apple, but I have fond memories of the thing: accessing the internet for the first time through AOL on a painfully slow dial-up connection, Descent 1 with a joystick, those awesome Mac Addict demo disks, playing A-10 Attack! and crashing purposefully to see the plane explode, parents banging on the keyboard trying to finish science fair projects at 11:00pm the night before:D... I actually miss the good old days; it was much simpler back then and being an Apple fan ignited a passion within my 6th grade self that I simply lack now.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I've got an original Rev. A iMac G3(In Bondi Blue, of course ;)) But its power supply died sometime last year, so I suppose it doesn't count in this thread.

And that would make my oldest my Lime Rev. C iMac G3 followed by my Blueberry clamshell iBook G3.

headset

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
vermont
I've got some old working classic macs but my oldest powerpc mac is a 7100/80. I think my mom bought it when I was in 3rd grade. I think I booted it when I was home a few months ago. It was succeeded by a snow imac g3 500mhz which is also still running...

Thermonuclear

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2009
I've got a 7500 PowerMac, circa 1995. Eight years ago it got a 500 MHz G3 processor card and is now running Mac OS/X 10.2 Jaguar. It's booted about twice a month to hold backup files.

But it takes up a lot of space and will likely be headed to an Apple Store soon to go into the recycling bin.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Dual 500MHz G4 tower. Typing this on it right now. A little slow, but if I were going to use it on a regular basis, I'd throw in a gig or two of RAM and I bet it'd be fine (only half a gig in there now).

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC
It had been a Graphite iMac DV, but the hard drive died on it and now it won't boot from its optical drive for some reason. I'll get around to getting it up and running soon.

Currently it's a dual-USB 500MHz G3 iBook, running Tiger and used mostly for testing purposes, but it will get up to something else eventually since I managed to swap in a new 120GB HD in it a few weeks back. Just need to get an Airport card in it first.

Hallivand

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Sydney, Australia
1999 Power Mac G4/400 AGP with 320 megs ram. Yeah, for like three years it was my first and only desktop mac, running Panther too. I was and still am amazed at what I could do with it, hell I could watch AVI's on vlc and south park eps on quicktime with iTunes and a few tabs of tech sites open. Alas now after my G5 purchase (AU$350 off eBay :D) its a permanent Tiger print/file server. 11.5 years strong. Although in the past three years it tried to die on me, after numerous reboots it'd just spontaneously come to life. Easier to just not shut it off. Enough ranting, my G5 is blowing a gale through my mind.

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
The oldest I have now is a 400mhz Pismo. I had a 7200 and 7300 but I gave them away recently.

Other PPC Macs I have are:
iBook G4 14" 1.33ghz
PowerBook G4 1.67ghz 15" (1.5/1.67 model)
PowerBook G4 1.67ghz 15" (Double-layer SD model)
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz
PowerMac G4 Quicksilver Dual 1ghz
PowerMac G4 Quicksilver Dual 800mhz
PowerMac G4 Mirrored Drive Door Dual 1.42 ghz (overclocked to 1.58)
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8ghz (Late 2004 model)

XaPHER

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
I own own one of the 3 oldest ppc-based machines. It is a 7100/80 in a case from a centris 650.
I have a G4 DA too.

stuntmaster

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2010
Southampton
Just the one Graphite G4 Gigabite Powermac.

plugged into a belkin omniview USB KVM (keyboard plugged into other devices and a mouse jammed into the USB keyboard port to stop the effing omniview beeping)

Omniview flips between the mac and a win7 machine (win 7 machine has mac keyboard layout installed extra keys dead but works)

The mac, is connected to an akura 24" HD screen in 1920x1080 res, initially it had issues with overscan but DisplayConfigX cured it. Performance is as good as when I had it in 1280x1024.

Ram is at 1GB but im looking to get it to 2GB. A friend gave me a radeon 9700Pro (it's a 9800 but with some pipelines disabled but mac flash re opens those) flashed to a 9800 Pro Mac, and is running fine. Tiger successfully reports both quartz extreme and core image as supported. It has only 1 Hard disk the stock 30GB (looking to replace that). The drive is a PC based DVD-RW enabled via patchburn.

Also I use a wheelmouse optical with the mac driver in. and to pair with the mac, it came with finalcut Pro HD (I think its ver 4) and I bagged a lovely migila Directors cut scart Ver1. right out the box for mac usage.

Performs well except a few odd behaviours. upon start up the screen shows nothing, if I press reset on the front then it'll reboot and the display kicks in, it never used to do that. Also when starting up the disc tray opens and closes spontaneously just the once.

Apart from that it works spot on, I love it. looking to acquire more macs. around the G4/G3.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Currently: iBook G3/300 in Original Configuration (never been touched or upgraded really, still in OS 9)
Maybe, perhaps, eventually one day: PowerMac 6100/66: The Machine that started it all :D

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Mine is a 2.0 dual core Power Mac G5. 8 gigs of RAM (soon to be 16), 7200 RPM 500 gig HDD and 160 gig HDD, 256 Radeon x1900. I love it, it's not going anywhere soon. When it is no longer viable as my main computer, I will use it as a server. Not sure what I'll do for my next tower. No way will I pay for a new Mac Pro. I may get a used one or go hackintosh. But as long as this G5 edits HD video as well as it does now, who cares? That's what I'm doing with it for the most part these days.

I have a 2.4 MacBook to keep up with current web browsers, CS 5 and such.

PantherJeep

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Until recently I had a Powerbook G3 "Lombard", but it finally gave up the ghost. It was preceded in death by my loyal old 6100/66. Now my oldest working PPC Mac is my little 12" G3 iBook dual-USB. It doesn't do much these days, but makes for an OK email station and ssh terminal. :)

On the 68k side, I have a Powerbook Duo 270c (68030/33, 8MB) that still boots and runs Office 4.2.1, Netscape Navigator (I have an external PDS Ethernet adapter from, I think, Newer Technology), Eudora (!!) and some other oddball apps. It's really just a conversation piece at this point, but it's fun to open it up and demonstrate Office in 8MB of memory. :D I want to say it's got OS 7.6.1 on it, but it might be 7.5.something (been a while since I started it up).

If I remember, I'll post a pic of the two "old soldiers" up and running together. :)

I also have a couple iMac DV's floating around in my storage unit (one red, one purple), but no idea if either works anymore. There's an olive iMac DV in the cubicle across from me at work, but I have no idea if it works either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.