Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
can ppl post their start up time, from the start up sound to desktop with menubar loaded (that seems to be the last thing, before custom start-up apps and scripts)...

if you can do with automatic login that's fine, if you want to type password i doubt that will take too long either

my mbp 2.33 has on average 1:40 ~ 2:00.

i don't think that's normal at all... i dont know if i can stand that... 2mrw is the 14th day (aka i can still return it, with minimum hassle) :eek:

edit: please also state the peripheral, software installed and general specs. your input is very much appreciated.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
I shut it down twice and it took between 25-30 seconds from the sound to when I first see the menu bar. BTW, I had to log in.

I bought mine on the first week when the C2Ds came out. It's a 2.16 with 2 GB ram.

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
Bionic Zit Splitter.

My 2.16GHz C2D 24" iMac takes maybe three minutes from boot to end of HD grinding.

That is usually after rebooting out of XP and back to OS X. But shutting down OS X and starting back up to OS X takes a good minute or two.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
I shut it down twice and it took between 25-30 seconds from the sound to when I first see the menu bar. BTW, I had to log in.

I bought mine on the first week when the C2Ds came out. It's a 2.16 with 2 GB ram.

my 1.83 Mini with 512 RAM boots in about 25-35 seconds. I must say, i was surprised at how fast it boots.

OKAY..........

what the hell is wrong with mine then?

i have a C2D MBP 2.33 with 120GB 5400RPM HDD... it's a week and 5 days since i bought it, built in week 51.. i really dont understand why it is so slow. oh yeah, did i mention, i reinstalled the system today, and that's the time AFTER the system reinstallation?

sure i have photoshop and aperture and iwork(those are the biggest apps, aside from the default ones), but startup time shouldn't have anything to do with the apps, right?

if you didn't read my first post, it takes between 1:40 and 2:00, with automatic login (not that i take ages to type the password :()

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
how does your mbp perform otherwise? is it noticeably slower than it should be or was?

it's not noticably slower than i should be, except start up and shut down

oh yeah, it takes ages to shut down too, that is, after all the apps are quit, the screen is blue... there's the same twirling as the startup one, takes like half a minute just there.

with that said, it's not significantly faster than a MBP 2.16 CD either

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
Don't really feel like timing it right now, but I timed it a while back and it took like 25 seconds or so. This is definitely the fastest booting Mac I've ever used.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
OKAY..........

what the hell is wrong with mine then?

i have a C2D MBP 2.33 with 120GB 5400RPM HDD... it's a week and 5 days since i bought it, built in week 51.. i really dont understand why it is so slow. oh yeah, did i mention, i reinstalled the system today, and that's the time AFTER the system reinstallation?

sure i have photoshop and aperture and iwork(those are the biggest apps, aside from the default ones), but startup time shouldn't have anything to do with the apps, right?

if you didn't read my first post, it takes between 1:40 and 2:00, with automatic login (not that i take ages to type the password :()

I would take it back and show it to them. I don't think startup time should have anything to do with apps, I have photoshop CS2&3, AF, AI, DW, Flash, office and more and mine is alot faster than yours. i too have the 120 GB drive.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
huummmmmm.....even my old QS 867/1.5Gb/10.4.8 w/6 start-up apps and 4 menu bar items boots in << 30seconds :)

and did you count til the menubar comes up, or everything's loaded?

okay.. this is weird, just now i had a super start-up timing session, i must have restarted 20 times, now from the superdrive turning sound til menu bar shows, it takes about 30 seconds to 32 seconds... i do not understand this, is it because i didn't use the machine in between?

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
my mbp 2.33 has on average 1:40 ~ 2:00.

i don't think that's normal at all... i dont know if i can stand that... 2mrw is the 14th day (aka i can still return it, with minimum hassle) :eek:

mine is taking that long too. same specs. the only thing I have at startup is gmail notifier, and i doubt that's causing it to slow that much.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
I would take it back and show it to them. I don't think startup time should have anything to do with apps, I have photoshop CS2&3, AF, AI, DW, Flash, office and more and mine is alot faster than yours. i too have the 120 GB drive.

so i took it back, and i cannot believe the apple store genius told me that "oh, even thou your start up time is 4 times longer than other computer, it's still within specification... only if you are 5 times, will i exchange it for you" and upon asking for some written documentation, he can't provided. by the end, i had to ask the manager to prove the exchange (since it's the 14th day)

and installing stuff now, everything seems to be better (cross finger, knock on wood)

one of the remotely useful thing he told me is that some programs do need to load stuff into the kernel, including parallel... can any of you have parallel, CS2 or 3, aperture tell me about your time? if that's much different? i can't imagine those could seriously push it over 4 times...

i'm still installing, i'll report back.

oh yea, what peripheral do you have plugged in?

McGarvels

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
Irvine, CA
25-35 seconds here as well (for both the MacBook and the iMac). Still much faster than any other computer I've ever owned before the two macs :D

I still have nightmares about being forced to switch back to windows. I wake up crying like a baby (not really, but you get the idea)

:apple: 4 Life

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.