Post your weird/funny Reasons For Hardware Damage

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Earendil, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Earendil macrumors 68000

Oct 27, 2003
    After heaing my Dad's story the other week, I decided there has to be others out there. Post you stories of how you hardware (or maybe software) became damaged in an odd/weird/humorus way because of something you did, or others did.

My Dad's 867 Powerbook 15" screen stopped working, and so did the output. I figured logic board, and when we took it into the local Apple guys they guessed it was the same deal. They called us a few days later and told us the reason for the failure was a "Bug" in the system. But not just any bug, this was a really nasty bug, he called it an "Ear Wig". The way he said this "Ear Wig" bug works, is it first gets into your computer through an open "port", and then "naps" on the Logic board, awaiting the user to turn on the computer. Upon starting the computer, the bug goes into action, frying all nearby circuits and destroying its self as well.

It was still under warrenty though, so Apple replaced everything.

There have got to be cheaper ways to kill earwigs... :D

Anyone have other stories?

2. hardon macrumors regular

Aug 27, 2003
    UK Kent
    a long time ago with a girlfreind far far away....
    we had a row and she threw a LC474 at me from the top of the stairs!!

i left her soon after claiming on the house insurance,..... i think we told them it fell of a table and didnt work or sumthing ^^
  3. dethl macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I was using my old Powerbook G3 233 in my parents van, and i put it on the seat next to me. Not knowing that my dad was gonna pull a quick brake (he usually does that anyway), my pbook flew off the seat and into the guide rail for the driver's seat, shattering the power port.

Thank god for the CompUSA insurance deal. We had our pbook replaced by a Graphite iBook G3, and we still have it to this day.
  4. thecow macrumors 6502

Nov 24, 2003
    Timonium MD
    A few years ago my little brother was playing a checkers game on my powerbook and when he lost he got really mad and started pounding on the palm rests beside the track-pad. The cd drive was permanently bent and the hard drive died a few months later. My mom ejected the cd and bent it so hard that it broke into flying shards of plastic. For some reason i had left speakable items on and the computer said something like "Alert. It is not my fault. The application Toy Story playhouse cannot continue without the cd. Please insert the cd." We all started laughing except for my little brother who was in his room hiding from the wrath of my mom.
  5. Rincewind42 macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    A couple of months after getting my current PowerBook (and giving my old one to my sister) I took my little brother to the movies (it was his birthday). When I got back my other brother was waiting outside the house telling me that his son (18 mo old) had :eek: SAT :eek: on my computer. Apparently he had discovered the joy of banging on the keyboard with my sister's computer, and decided to do the same with mine. When he got bored of this, he decided to push the screen back and sit on it. Yay! :(:mad: .