Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Fresh off the camera:

osprey.jpg

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
snap58 said:
Very nice, care to share any details?

Sure -

Canon 20D
EF 100-400L IS USM
550EX with Better Beamer
1/1000 @ f6.3
ISO 200

A set of freshly charged batteries went bad on me right when I had the best position, so I missed some really good ones becuase the flash would not fire. :(

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
cycocelica said:
Damn good picture iGary, damn good. Bravo. Sadly my hard drive failed last week and I lost all my images so....
Agreed. And sadly, I'd post pictures but I haven't the skill, "eye," or equipment. :eek: :p

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Actually, Gary, could you give a little background info about that shot? The bird (eagle?) seems to be perched on metal as opposed to a branch or whatnot... And did you actually watch it swoop for the kill? :eek: How exciting!

:edit: I'm sad I missed a shot of a young buck (male deer) squatting to relieve himself. :p

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
It's an osprey AKA a "fish hawk."

They love to make nests on these markers on the water (street signs for boaters):

350Day%20Marker%2021.JPG

I was getting ready for the Wednesdy Night Sailboat Races and I just happened to see this guy up there.

I didn't see him actualy nab the thing, but have seen it before. It's quite spectacular. Lots of luck involved with this shot - never expected such good results. It's so hard to get these sharp when the boat is moving, they are moving, you're tryng to get as close as you can without making them fly off...

iGary said:
It's an osprey AKA a "fish hawk."

And one of the more beautiful available containers from Macallan's Birds of Prey Series.

iGary said:
I was getting ready for the Wednesdy Night Sailboat Races and I just happened to see this guy up there.

I didn't see him actualy nab the thing, but have seen it before. It's quite spectacular. Lots of luck involved with this shot - never expected such good results. It's so hard to get these sharp when the boat is moving, they are moving, you're tryng to get as close as you can without making them fly off...

I'd usually rather be lucky than good, especially if pics like that are the result. I'm amazed that you even noticed him during a Regatta! Nice Shot, iGary. Really nice shot.

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
iGary said:

Indeed that was a great shot.
I didn't see the whole picture first...I called my 7 years old to come and see and as any 7 years old boy would do is ....WOOOOOOOW.
Then I move the mouse...oh my....He loved it.;)

Great picture

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
There are some fantastic shots in this thread, thanks for sharing them!
I can't hope to measure up but here's a couple of mine anyway.

Attachments

• picture-17.jpg
    picture-17.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 69
  • picture-10.jpg
    picture-10.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 66

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Not exactly a wild animal (domesticated tiger ;) ), but I like this shot:

Attachments

• picture-12.jpg
    picture-12.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 82
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.