Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oreomac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
I have designed a poster for the univeristy course I'm on, people where I work are impressed with it & want to put copies of it on the wards at the hospital. I don't know the best application to use, I only have what came with my iBook & office. My poster is A1 size but needs to become A2 size. I just don't know if this is going to be possible.

hodgjy

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
I always use PowerPoint for my posters. The best is Adobe Illustrator, but sometimes that's a beast to use.

If you have PowerPoint, use that. Otherwise, OpenOffice.org also has a presentation package that is PowerPoint compatible, and it's free.

To make a poster in these programs, just set your page size to custom, and set the dimensions.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
Maybe your local copy-centre can help, paper copy to smaller size or scan it in for editing.
How did you make the poster?

oreomac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
redeye_be said:
Maybe your local copy-centre can help, paper copy to smaller size or scan it in for editing.
How did you make the poster?

I used a cardboard & then cut out letters, printed the text etc. I didnt' see how I could print it A1 size.

I'll give powerpoint a go, hopefully it will be ok

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
A1 & A2 are exactly the same shape. When you print it, there may be an option in the print box to scale it down by 71% (70.716% to be more exact :) )

klaus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
Belgium
Hello,

Just a correction, A1 is not the same shape as A2 :) That would be saying A3 is the same shape as A4 ;)

A1 is the size of 2 A2 posters. Since you are downsizing, you could use indesign for the page setup, and then export to a pdf and go to your local printshop. They'll have plotters which can print up to A0 (twice an A1). They'll fix you up in no time!

Care to show us a preview of the poster? You made me curious!

Cu

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
klaus said:
Hello,

Just a correction, A1 is not the same shape as A2 :) That would be saying A3 is the same shape as A4 ;)

Which it is. I didn't say anything about size.

You misunderstand me and perhaps I was unclear, but they are the same shape in the sense that their sides have the same ratio to each other which is the square root of 2.

So scaling the artwork up or down would be entirely appropriate.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
klaus said:
Hello,

UK paper measurements are done in ratios, so they are the same shape and they have the same scaling factor.

AppleMatt

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
Blue Velvet said:
their sides have the same ratio to each other which is the square root of 2.

wow i never knew that, but thinking of it, it makes perfect sense!

you learn something every day!

oreomac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
Thanks for the help, it was so easy. I've now put it to A1 size & then it can be scaled. The only thing I don't know how to do is when I typed the text in word for the poster I made, i put it in oval shapes can that be done in powerpoint? I've only ever used powerpoint a couple of times & then it was just doing a slide show with bullet lists.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Blue Velvet said:
Which it is. I didn't say anything about size.

You misunderstand me and perhaps I was unclear, but they are the same shape in the sense that their sides have the same ratio to each other which is the square root of 2.

So scaling the artwork up or down would be entirely appropriate.

Zing!! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.