Posting from the Ginza Apple Store

Discussion in 'Community' started by iAlan, Nov 29, 2003.

1. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

(Posting from the 'Internet' section of the store on the 4th floor)

As you all probably know the Ginza Apple Store opened today. Well, after waiting just under 2 hours in a line snaking down the streets of Ginza, I finally managed to get in.

Quite an event here today, and lots of people buying stuff. I will get some pictures up, but Apple have some good pictures of the store, without anybody in it however!!

The glass elevators are great, as is the spinning Apple sign on the roof of the building.

I have been to the NY Apple Store and would say that the combined space of the 1-4 floors is about twice that of NY. The entire 3rd floor is a theatre, and it has been packed for all the product demos and presentations. The 5th floor is closed, as this is the studio floor for training and such. A good collection of stuff to play with and buy...I am sure the store will do well.

Will post again later...

2. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Send pictures!! :)

Knowing how technofanatics the Japanese are, it has to be really crowded there. I immagine far more than in N Michigan Ave opening here.. :p

Could you please nick me a tee shirt from there? Is the Ginza written in it with western or Japanese font? I want one of those shirts .... :p

3. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Actually ... post some pic that shows how many and what kind of people there are over thre!! I wish I was there.. :)

4. iAlan thread starter macrumors 65816

iAlan

Here are some pictures Ginza Apple Store Pics Apple has picts posted in the retail section of their homepage.

Quite a big crowd. They were only letting a limited number of people in at a time, so it wasn't so crowded, but it was jostling a bit. There was a line snaking it's way to Tokyo Station. One of the Store reps was telling me that they estimated the line over 850 meters long with a wait at it's peak of 3.5 hours. Talk about dedicated Mac fans over here.

There were also a few foreigners in the store, I'd say a good 10%. Not much English software however, but many multi-lingual staff. I got to practice the very limited Korean I know, no computer stuff though, just basic greetings. A few native English speaking staff (I am assuming American) with a few people from the retail group out of Apple USA

I didn't see Steve Jobs, but someone said he was in the store just after opening at 10.00 (I didn't get there till about 11.30 due to a very late night drinking and a bit of a sleep in).

Got to say that the best store features would have to be the rotating Apple logo on the roof and the glass elevator. the elevator was impressive. It was on 'auto-pilot' with no buttons to push. The two elevators were computer controled so that when one was on the 1st floor the other was on the 4th, and vica versa, thus no chance for them both to be travelling together. Regarding the rotating logo, you couldn't miss seeing it from a block away. It was most impressive at night, as you can see in one of the photos

I have been to the New York Apple Store and the one at Farmers Market(?) in LA. The Ginza Store was almost identicle - you didn't see much non-Apple gadgetry, other than compatible digital video and still camera, your standard collection of printers and accessories (including a variety of headphones and other iPod related devices).

I did notice a lot of laptops leaving with smiling customers. In fact, I would say the entire opening was geared toward the laptops with a window display and laptops on each floor. The laptop window display was impressive in that the onscreen display was timed to move from screen to scren. At one point there was a Christmas ribbon that looked like it was scrolling from screen to screen as if it were blowing in the wind, and the captions on the screen moved from screen to screen (there were 5 laptops all in a row, again, check out he pictures). Don't know how they got that to work...

There was also a section with iPods and another with iMacs (the 20" was launched on Nov 29 here, and the screen looks huge). The G5s were somewhat under highlighted, with just a few machines. No monitors on display either really. I guess you cannot walk out with a G5 and monitor purchase, thus the emphasis on the laptops.

I would be interested to here what Apple says the number of attendees was by the end of the day, what with the store open from 10.00 am to 9.00 pm.

I just wish I was in the market for a new computer. it would have been great to walk out with a nice new machine....

5. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Wow. Looks so similar design wise than the apple stores everywhere else, but so cool to see a store so full of japanese mac fans. :)

6. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

That store is Apple's most beautiful store yet. I love that rotating Apple logo on the of the roof. The elevator is just cool. I'm glad to hear that the Japanese are eager to try out the Apple products and that they have reacted positivily with he store opening. I see more International store openings in the future.

7. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

A four-floor Apple store...it's just not fair :(

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Ahhhhhh!!!!!!

come back to the US apple. Everyone in Austin not to mention myself needs an apple store. I/We will go crazy without one.

And this one sounds awesome! Glass elevators and spinning logos?!?!

I N V U
    (that was corny)

scem0

9. iAlan thread starter macrumors 65816

iAlan

Please don't NV me, I didn't actually buy anything (I have an original 15" iMac, so cannot justify another purchase, although my iBook is looking a little rough around the edges).

Ginza is full of neon signs on the sides of building advertising who is in the building, it is only natural that Apple advertise they are in their building too...but the rotating logo is just so cool, way unexpected. I hope it catches on in other Apple Store locations as it is great advertising.

10. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

iAlan... waiting in line to post from the store rocks. two points to you, my friend... i think this qualifies you for demi-god status, waddayasay arn?

:D

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If you think that's good, you should see the electronics stores in Akihabara. Even the outdoor booths are fantastic! :)

12. iAlan thread starter macrumors 65816

iAlan

Without a doubt. It is amazing to compare huge high vision plasma TV's all standing side by side, not to mention blowing your hat off in front of all the home theatre surround sound systems....

BTW bousozuku when were you last in Tokyo? My favourite Mac reseller in Akiharbara was T-Zone because they had a great selection of Apple computers and Mac related stuff. The Shibuya store (on Center-gai on the top 3 floors of the HMV building) was close to my office and i always dropped in to see what was new. Anyway, they went bankrupt a while back, too bad (they were not just a Mac reseller for those interested, they actually sold all variety of electronic stuff)

I guess the only problem with the Apple Store is that they do not have point cards like the major electronics stores (Bic Camera, Sakuraya, Yodobashi, etc) - with these card you would get 10% (if you use cash, 8% for credit cards) of your purchase price added to the card, and you could use the card to buy other stuff. I bought 400,000 yen (about $3,600) worth of Mac stuff (new 15" iMac when launched, printer/scanner and some other stuff) and got 40,000 yen ($360) in points. I used the points to buy a digital camera.

I wish the Ginza Apple Store would do this like other electronic outlets...

13. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

SoftMap was were I got my Xserve used for $1000, in case anyone was wondering.

They are close to Akihabara station, though don't ask me the exit # :p

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'll just say that the last time I was there, I didn't see any stores selling Macs or Windows and Sony Video 8 was fresh. :D In 1985, it was the height of the MSX craze as MSX2 had arrived only a little while earlier.

Do you really expect that Apple Japan would create shopping opportunities as great as Yodobashi and Sakuraya? I don't think they use Japanese philosophy of cooperation--they're always on their own. It's only because the products are so wonderful that they have so much of a market in Japan. :)

15. iAlan thread starter macrumors 65816

iAlan

Yes, but they are loosing share to Sony - the 'fun' factor Vaio offers the Windows world has really taken off here - Sony are doing well.

Given a choice, and I am sorry Apple, but if can get a 10% discount (or the equal value in points) i will be more likely to go to a larger store....especially when spending $3-4 grand.

The Softmap Yurakacho store is good - a nice Mac selection. It is on the first floor of the Yurakacho MUJI. Computers and MUJI...interesting combination!!