Posting in proper area.....

Discussion in 'Community' started by Classic, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Classic macrumors regular

Just thought it was funny that Arn is trying to organize the community a little more with some rules etc...

The third rule is as follows:

3) PLEASE try to post threads in the PROPER area.

Notice the screen capture... There are four of us anxious to tell the world about the 10.2.2 update. Yes, we're just software update junkies with no lives clicking "Check Now" every 10 minutes or so...

Anyway, I think it's funny that we all posted the "news" in a different area. :rolleyes:

Maybe there can be an area dedicated to discussing facts rather than just rumors. Or an area where people can post reviews about things that are out on the market. That way there won't be four of us posting the same thing in different areas...

Attached Files:

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Wait until 10.2.3 comes out. Every forum on the board should be filled with a "software" thread regarding to 10.2.3. |:rolleyes:|^(2 and a half)

I didn't give this the full three, because I realize there have been a ridiculous number of rumors and regards with 10.2.2 involved in some way or another, so people want to make sure they get the word out.

But, come on, people. This isn't a race to see who can be the first one to bring up 10.2.2. Give me a Greg Dan break. Let someone else get smacked around about posting a thread, while you are off testing the new software.

Poor anxious saps. :p

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

If arn mentions the rules its because of blatant disregard of them. I know, I've been moving threads a lot more lately.

As for an update forum - not a bad idea, but it wouldn't solve the problem of what just happened. People will still post these things where they think they belong - and as for 10.2.2 - well, it could actually be in anyone of those forums and maybe even argued for hardware if it was related to something changing that affects a piece of hardware.

There really isn't any way to win on this, just hope more people figure out how to post correctly.

D

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Could arn not just give more regular, reliable posters basic mod rights to move threads around? It might help keep things in order.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you arn for your organizational skills, hope you won't become impatient with us! Patience is a gift! I know that everyone tries their best.

6. medea macrumors 68030

medea

There is a forum for facts, it's called Current News, the only reason people are posting the same threads over again is because no one searches to see if anyone has already posted the information yet, I mean, chances are if there is a new update for an OS you are not the only person who has found out........

7. vniow macrumors G4

Interesting idea.

In the 'Is Macrumors becoming too popular?' thread awhile back, I suggested the idea of having at least one more mod would help with some of the increased traffic recently.

A lot of the +1000 posters visit regularly and know and follow the rules around here, so just basic mod privileges, like moving threads would be all that would be needed.

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

That is a good idea. I have never thought about that. It would
    keep that DJ_TRicks dude from posting threads wildly like he has
    been lately. I really don't have a problem with his threads though,
    they are rumors pertaining to hardware, and so they are in the
    right section. But I think that if only 500+ poster had the ability
    to vote, then it would clear up some of the useless thread issues.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Not a good idea, it would only add to people wanting to rush to 500 posts.....like there needs to be another reason?

:rolleyes:

10. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

umm yeah, then we would just have a bunch on useless posts by people who want the option to vote. I only have 329 voted and I think I would make a better moderator than *some* (not referring to anyone in particular) posters with 500+

I am one of those people who will read all 4 pages before I post a comment, and if it is already said I don't say it. I can't stand to read the same thing over again. For god sakes people, stop acting like microsoft. Innovate :)

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Even if they all did a search there is a good chance that there still would have been all these posts for THIS topic, look at the times - all within 5 minutes.

Not really the best example, but there have been a few topics lately that have been cloned over a couple days - everywhere.

12. Classic thread starter macrumors regular

Searching...

That's true... I know I did a search for 10.2.2 before I posted just thinking that there was no way that it wasn't already posted. I actually found out about it through Macnn, so I figured that somebody over here would have already posted it. Looks like we were all posting at the same time...

Either way, I generally think that the topics work pretty well. Sure there is some overlapping, and there will always be people who post whatever they want when they want. I just thought it funny that good planning and good intentions don't always get the desired results.

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Exactly. People need to take the time to read the whole thread before posting.

Personally I don't see how someone could post a 10.2.2 thread knowing it's out in a rumors section. Isn't it fact if it's been released and no longer a rumor?

14. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

Yeah, and that mod would be me. ;)