Postive Apple buying experince

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by csubear, Aug 9, 2004.

1. csubear macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2003
    Just wanted to relate two great experinces with apple,

1) July-Aug 2004

My brother orders an 12" ibook from 1-800-MY-APPLE, and got an education discount. The ibook he ordered was the combo-drive model, but the ibook he got in the mail was a CD-ROM only. So I said okay, must of been a shipping error. We look at the recipt, and it said CD-ROM only, and the price was CD-ROM only. Okay so this is both apple and my brother's fault. The apple phone person clicked the wrong thing, and my brother failed to check he recipt. To make things worse this ibook was BTO, and my brother is in Japan (US Airforce). So I have to call apple (my parents gave me the ibook at this point to take care of the problem), so i talk to some guy,

Apple:ya we can take it back.
    10 secs later
    Apple: this is BTO, i have to ask my boss.
    5 min later
    Apple: sorry but we can not take back BTO stuff, can you sell it on ebay?
    Me: No, I can not sell it on ebay.
    Me: You guys record all you phone calls right?
    Apple: uh ya
    Me: So you'd have a record of my brother correct order, right?
    Apple: uh ya, but that would be hard to find.
    Me: Well you'd think that you might keep the ones where you sell things
    Apple: uh..
    Me: Can i speak to you boss
    Apple: sure
    15 min later
    Apple: We'll take it back, I'll send you a shipping label

So anyways my brother got a new ibook (the one he ordered), for the correct price, with no open box fee :) A+ apple

2)April 2003
    I had just ordered a top of the line 14" 800Mhz G3 ibook. While waiting for my order, i flash over to macrumors, and there was a head line New ibooks. I was like crap. I'm getting an old one, i go check out my order, and apple had upgraded me to a the new 900Mhz G3 ibook with a bigger hard drive, no cost to me :) A+ apple
  2. csubear thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2003
    well hate to bump my own post.

But... I would like to talk about something else related to my positive apple experience, libpng.

today there was an security updated to libpng in mac os x. This my friends was announced, only a few days ago (friday, i believe). Libpng could of been the first and worst mac virus ever (still could be if you don't update). You could get a virus by simply viewing an spammed png sent to mail, or while surfing the web.

Apple got this out quick and fast, and didn't ignore it.

I've seen alot of anti-mac fud spread around lately, about apple sitting on security exploits and not doing anything. Well let me tell you when its important apple gets a patch out fast.
  3. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    Canada GTA
    #3 positive Apple experience.

how bout getting my BTO 15" powerbook made and shipped within 24 hours of order. :)
  4. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    Did the Apple rep really ask if you can just sell it on Ebay?
  5. ozone macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    I'll second Ryan1524 on the so-so side of Apple experiences... I'm up to 18 days since I ordered my BTO PB and it hasn't even been shipped out - I don't think it's even been built yet.
  6. OziMac macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2003
    Hmm, yeah that's a positive experience to some extent - but I think it reflects more on your ability to negotiate than on their generosity. They send you the wrong item (I assume you would have had some kind of order confirmation somewhere?) and then he tells you to sell it on eBay? What is the world coming to? :)
  7. csubear thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2003
    Well the problem was both my brother's and apple's fault. It was a phone order to start with. My brother never looked the the receipt they emailed him (it said CD-ROM only), and so when the ibook arrived technically it was all sales final because it was BTO. I think if it was dell or some one else they might of tole me I was SOL.

yes he did tell me to try to sell it on ebay, that why i got the attitude and ask if they where there record was otherwise. :). btw the apple rep sounded like some young punk.