Discussion in 'Community' started by samdweck, Oct 6, 2002.

1. samdweck macrumors regular

How many posts do you need to have to get member, and all the next levels, and how many do you need for an avatar?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

To get an Avatar you need to have 500+ posts, so that's a little way off yet for you. :(
    So there you go, all the info you could ever need...and as you can see your just a few posts from being a "member" :)

3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

30 is member, 100 is regular, and at 500 you get an avatar and the 'macrumors 6502' status.

If you contribute by buying a mug from the Macrumors store, you get a Demi-God status, but not a member, regular, 6502, and so on.

irmongoose

[edit] whoops! I wrote this before the above thread got there.. guess it's more helpful, eh?[/edit]

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

I remember when the older system had
    0 newbie
    30 member
    100 regular
    300 senior
    500 6502
    or something like that.

For 2500 and 3000 you can ask jefhatfield, who has the most posts for not contributing to the site... :D :rolleyes: :p

5. samdweck thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your help, and where is everyone getting tohse cool g4 avatars?

6. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

That's not everyone.. its only taht one guy.. he changed his name from verbose101 to edesignuk... and the great avatarist dukestreet made it for him.

irmongoose

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Seeing as it's actually only me who has a G4 'tar, not "everyone", I presume your asking me....in short...I made it myself, like most others here make their own 'tars.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Erm....hey...where did you get that from???
    He didn't make it for me, I made it myself :rolleyes:

9. samdweck thread starter macrumors regular

well it's way cool.... i have a msg board on my website w/ avatars, can i use it? please?

10. samdweck thread starter macrumors regular

Now one more question... if u sign up and contribute, u become demi-god, but do u get an avatar?

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Feel free, just don't use it on here, allthough of course that's a while off anyway ;) :p

12. samdweck thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for being so generous... that's y i like peeps on macrumors, they have always been nice and helpful! go apple people!

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Nope, you have to have 500+ posts for a 'tar, sorry.

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(samdweck) Now one more question... if u sign up and contribute, u become demi-god, but do u get an avatar?

There are two ways to get an avatar:

(1) Achieve 500 posts -- but don't spam your way there, unlike Mr. Spam (hitman) and Ms. Spam (Ms. V) :D

(2) Win an award at an avatar contest. There was one a long while back, and there may be another one coming up.

You can't get an avatar by contributing to the site. But you do get into the Private Forums of the site.

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

So now I've said you can use it, do you have a link to your msg boards? What r they about? Another Mac forum?

16. samdweck thread starter macrumors regular

well, at the moment the logo isn't working... but the board is on my website... dwecktech.com

17. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

WHOOPS! My mistake! I'm so sorry... :( :( :(

I dunno why.. maybe it has something do do with the fact that MY AVATAR SUCKS compared to the others, and I asked dukestreet whether he could make one for me, and he said yes, but he never did... but wait... huh? what?

:confused:

irmongoose

18. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

hehehehe, no problem. :)

19. samdweck thread starter macrumors regular

no offense... b/c i dont' have an avatar, but urs does suck lol

20. King Cobra macrumors 603

>no offense [irmongoose]... b/c i dont' have an avatar, but urs does suck lol

No offense, samdweck, but that "lol" may have saved your ass on that one. :eek: :D

I must say, you are a gentleman, agreeing with someone who disregards his visual logo. No pun intended :p

21. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Yeah... the only way to get an avatar is 500 posts (or one of the avatar contests).

I had thought about giving it to those who contributed... but I think linking the avatar to number of posts is a good thing - in that those people with avatars, other users generally recognize as regulars at MacRumors. And people can be recognized by their avatars.

arn

22. samdweck thread starter macrumors regular

Re: avatars

arn- that is a really good idea- but in my humble opinion, i think taht you should not set standards at 500- b/c that is a TON of posts... and that takes a lot of time... maybe it should be hard work, and that's why that avatar menas a lot to people, but i think that it should have something to do more wiht the content of the posts and whether the person was trying to help oiut or not vs. the quantitiy of posts that hte person is given credit for.

23. samdweck thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Re: avatars

btw, i think that newbie should be based upon the amount of time moreso than the amount of posts!

24. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: Re: avatars

Come back to us when you have written an AI forum that can read, understand and then rate you on the content of posts, then this could become feasible. :rolleyes:
    Making it that you have to have 500 posts for a 'tar shows newbies etc the commitment that a long-term poster has had to their chosen forum.
    When I first started 500 seemed like a lot, but then on the other hand when you reach it you feel you have accomplished something.

25. samdweck thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Re: Re: avatars

I didn't mean it as "can we do that" I meant it is an infesible idea you moron. Get over it, someone is creative!