Potential for homebrew Wii channels

Discussion in 'Games' started by Spanky Deluxe, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I was just thinking that maybe Nintendo will open up some level of homebrew wii channel support. The reason for me thinking about this is that I noticed that the Wii Menu has space for 48 Wii channels, 12 per page of which they are currently using 6.
    Also there's the ability to copy extra wii channels to the SD card and back. Once the first Wii channel application comes out (I'm guessing it'll be Opera), I wonder how long it will be until some cunning people work out the way in which Wii channels are encoded, by copying Opera to an SD card and looking at the data on a PC in hex format.

Any thoughts on this anyone?

2. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I think it'll happen maybe even sooner than that. ;)

If Nintendo supports something like this, I'll be very happy and a tad surprised. They have no reason not too really? How many years do they think we'll have ours Wiis.

I do know that VC games take up a Wii channel spot. Maybe they're planning to sell alot of VC games?

3. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Aha, so if VC games take up Wii channel spots and from what I hear they can be backed onto the SD card then it sounds like each VC download includes both the game ROM and the emulator, which means the basis of the Wii Channel application format should be in these files which can then be accessed via a PC. I don't really want to buy any Wii Points until the Nintendo Stars for Wii Points thing happens although if that takes too long I may end up buying 1000 points or so for Mario 64 and copy it over through my SD card.

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

The stupid thing is that you can't play games off the SD card, they need to be copied back over if you delete them...

5. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

That wouldn't really matter for homebrew thought since the homebrew wii channels could simply be copied to the Wii's main memory. If its a particularly hefty package it could always access data files off an SD card once loaded I guess or a generic media player of some sorts could probably access media files off the SD card or over the WiFi.

I really think this could take off. Nintendo may on the one hand want to stop this kind of thing happening since people could potentially find a way to build emulators as Wii Channels meaning people could get away with not paying for VC games. However on the other hand this kind of work could potentially turn the Wii console into an incredible media streaming device without Nintendo having to bother with the whole spiel of making it themselves. They could maintain their aim at a simple gaming console like they've always wanted and let users turn it into what ever they want themselves.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Virtual console downloads take up Wii Channel spaces though...there's 48 spots, but if you buy 48 VC downloads you'll be out of places.

7. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I would love to have a "Linux" channel.

*drools* Ah. The possibilities. :D