Potential French legislation = Religious Persecution?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Awimoway, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Awimoway macrumors 65816

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/12/17/france.headscarves/index.html

Can someone tell me how this is NOT religious persecution? I don't get it. Since when is a scarf offensive? Isn't it more offensive to make someone take it off when it is important to their religion to wear it? Why is that the French always have a knack for turning good things like democracy and freedom of religion on its head and perverting it into something really distorted?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Are they going to apply this to Sikhs and Jews and Gypsies? Head-coverings in Church? Hats at funerals? If not, why not? :confused:
    As for turning democracy on its head, the words "pot", "kettle" and "black" spring to mind....:)

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wow, that's really off the deep end. I'm all for secularity in government and all, but not for telling people what they can wear. AFAIK, he would be asking people to go against the teachings of their faith by asking muslim women to go without a scarf, or an orthodox jew with his skullcap.

Doesn't Chirac know that persecuting religious believers makes them more sure they are right and he is wrong?

6. huntsman macrumors member

On the flip side, perhaps they should ban figure-hugging, skin-exposing clothing that could be construed as sexually suggestive, and therefore offensive to some people.

But that won't happen, of course. This looks like the tyranny of the majority.

7. ckwm macrumors member

Seems like secular fundamentalism to me - you will only wear what religious symbols the state says you can.

8. Awimoway thread starter macrumors 65816

With reference to my state or my country? If state, okay, fair enough. If country, will you "chaps" get over it? That was 220 years ago! :D

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Gents

This is bureaucracy - French flavored.

These are the same fellows who look down their noses at the U.S. in one breath, then turn around and buy Levi's, invest in McDonald's, and encourage Disney to build a theme park.

I'm not worried :D

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Neither am I. We look down our noses at the French, call our potatoes "Freedom Fries" yet still buy French wines, fashions, etc.

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Re: Potential French legislation = Religious Persecution?

Interesting.

You've gone and used the Chirac administration's foolish decision that seems to attack ethnic groups (Muslims, Jews, etc.) and used it to attack an ethnic group ("the French").

I think that fills the irony quota for the PolWar forums today.

12. Awimoway thread starter macrumors 65816

And you our morally superior quota.

Look, I'm not a major France-basher. I even oppose(d) the war.

But I'll be frank. I don't understand them. I think the way they handled the UN deliberations last year was disingenuous and mean-spirited. Again, that was Chirac at work. Everyone wants to blame Bush for the unilateral war, but I think Chirac's tactics provoked Bush to some degree, no matter how wrong the war is.

But leaders are figureheads for their countries. That's how democracy works. That's why all the crap the rest of the world is slinging at us is somewhat deserved because Bush won the election, and he's our figurehead.

...Oh wait, he didn't win the election. :rolleyes:

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

If you recognise that it's Chirac and not "the French," then why continue to attack the French people for the actions of their leader? If your beef is with Chirac, blame him. Break the mould.

I don't like it when people attack Americans for something Bush did either.

14. Awimoway thread starter macrumors 65816

But what I'm saying is that in a democracy, there is at least an ounce of truth in blaming the nation as a whole.

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Does that make it right? It's a little disingenous, IMO. No one's blaming Americans for say, Nixon's actions during Watergate.

16. Awimoway thread starter macrumors 65816

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

France has a very large population of Muslims and it is only recently that the wearing of headscarves has become an issue. Probably because there is an upsurge in "Muslim Pride" and Muslims feel they need to assert themselves to be heard.

I'm all for embracing ethnice and cultural traditions but the fact of the matter is that the wearing of religious symbols in schools, anywhere in the world almost always causes problems.

While everyone here is trouncing Chirac, maybe you'd better take a look at the political ads the Swiss right used in the last elections or the dominance of Le Pen in France, Scandinavia's uneasiness with its new citizens from Muslim and African countries. Or, for that matter, the US attitude towards incoming grad students from Muslim countries. It's not just a problem with Chirac but with every single western country whose birth rate is falling while the Muslim segment of the population is rising dramatically.

If western countries don't explicitly state that religion has no place in public life then the battle between religions will only accelerate. The line between zenophobia and an immigrant's expectations is a very fine one but isn't that an integral part of immigration, leaving the worst of the old behind?

18. Inu macrumors newbie

I am (once more) in complete agreement with pseudobrit here, and want to point out the facts ugg posted. France does indeed have very difficult to solve problems at hand (like anti-semitic actions from the muslim part of the poplulation (wich is on the rise alright)) and you might not have heard that, or at least not without filter (aka: spin).

I do remind you to aks yourself: what would your average Head-Scarf wearing Muslim from france face when he tries to travel to the US? Being bearded and named Achmed might get you to Guatanamo. Having Fatima taking off her Scarf in School is like candy compared to that...

edit: heard, not heart

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

we dont agree to often, but on this one im with you zimv20

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The political back-story on this is Chirac's efforts to inoculate himself and his party from the French nationalists, who are expected to gain in the next election. I'm not saying this action was the right way to address this situation, but it should be understood within the broader context of growing xenophobia in Europe and especially in France.

21. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-IJ Reilly

Xenophobic? France?!?!

Never! :D

22. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Democracy is doomed to fail

we're already starting to see it