Potential Macbook purchase

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sanooj, Feb 14, 2007.

1. sanooj macrumors newbie

Feb 13, 2007
    I am considering converting to apple (read: I want to convert). My eyecandy, a black macbook. So I'm all set to buy one, but here's my dilemna:

My University book store is offering the better white model (2 ghz, 80gb, 1G ram, etc) for $1349. This includes the 3 year apple protection plan and a free printer (valued $100, no mail-in rebate, just free).

I want the black one so badly, and I really wanted to upgrade the RAM to 2gb because I plan on having this notebook for 3+ years. What should I do? The black macbook would cost me $1583 with the apple protection plan. And a ram bump would add $157 on top of that. Also, I know that there is a free printer from the online store, which raises questions about Apple track record with mail-in rebates.

Note: all monies are pre-tax

Ive been saving for a while so I have the cash ready for either purchase. I just don't know what to do. One thing, can I upgrade the RAM in my notebook after the purchase? I know one of the two chips are permanently attatched; could I upgrade the other from 512mb to 1gb? How difficult/expensive would that be? Also, in your honest opinion, is the Apple Care Protection plan worth the money?

Thanks a lot for any help, and I hope this post wasn't too confusing
  2. j26 macrumors 65832

Mar 30, 2005
    I'd go for the cheaper one and use the extra money for software. After all that is the reason you're getting a computer - to use it.
    However, if you really want black and have the money, go for it. Otherwise you could end up regretting it. Macs are part computer and part fashion item. If you have the money it's as well to choose the one you fancy.

None of the ram is hardwired btw, so you can change it all.
  3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    I was in the same situation. I really, really wanted the black one (having had a Pismo earlier), but I just couldn't justify the extra price and got the white 2.0 MacBook with the (then maximum) 120GB HD BTO and 2GB 3rd party RAM. It still stings a bit whenever I see a blackbook, but all in all I'm very happy with my whitebook...