Potential PS3 Downgrades

Discussion in 'Games' started by harveypooka, Jun 11, 2006.

1. harveypooka macrumors 65816

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/sony/more-ps3-downgrades-on-the-way-179863.php#more

"Phantom Insider says: Fully functional PS3 betas still do not exist

Red says: hmm

Phantom Insider says: Despite that we have seen a number of downgrades

Red says: clock speed?

Red says: remember it was going to be 3.5 ghz?

Phantom Insider says: And now we have been told that the powersource might be an external 400 watt unit after all"

Read on...

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

jesus, notice how the new ps3 design is covered in vents? the dev kits melted down.

3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Really looks like PS3 is heading for disaster, unless of course all this talk is speculation....

M$ must be having a field day, hearing all these stories, Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Sony delay the PS3 further but they will really need to pull a rabbit out of the hat if they are to come close to dominating the console market again this gen....

SHadoW

4. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

Some of the user comments on that article are quite fitting actually. One dude said that the PS2 was crappy but dominance in Japan and great advertising have made it what it is. It's really just was the perception of it is, not actually what it does. I mean, who cares if it's 3.2GHZ and not 3.5GHZ? As long as it performs (and has great games)...

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

There's no smoke without fire.

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

apart from, smoke machines <_< >_>...... runs away.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Alas Sony. The PS1 and 2 were your graces, the PSP and PS3 your graves.

8. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

Don't talk nonsense about the PSP. Sony have shipped over 17 million PSPs as of 31/3/06. It's comparable to the DS, which I think everyone accepts is an excellent device which has sold very strongly with around 19 million sales. Given the pretty sizeable price difference between the two, I'd describe these figures as impressive.

Sure, certain PSP features haven't caught on like Sony clearly thought they would - notably UMD films - but to say that the PSP will drive Sony to its grave is absolute drivel.

The PS3's prospects are looking decidedly mixed, yes, but it is worth recalling that similar things were said about the PS2 back in 1999/2000. It was too big, it was too (albeit not $500-600) expensive, games were going to load too slowly, it wasn't innovative enough, the logo looks like it was made in 1983, etc etc.

As uninterested as I am in the PS3 in the short term - the Wii looks like a far more compelling product in my mind - I think it'll do just fine. Especially once the early adopter cycle has ended, and it becomes truly affordable for the mass market.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Indeed....PSP is doing really well for itself. I'm just going to wait to see the thing before i saying anything else.

Bless

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

fair play, but if you missed it I bought a PSP and within 3 days realised that the games really are utter ****. the screen is horrible, I mean it has to be at least a 24-30ms response time. it HURTS. the battery is a nightmare, it barely lasted a trip in the car (2 hours), an hour inside then an hour on the train.
    i dunno. just the consensus seems to be it's a nice looking machine but should never be picked up. This machine that Sony wanted to destroy Nintendo's handheld market with has had a pretty dismal offering. I mean I'm constantly reading Japanese and UK sales figures with PSP games rarely hitting the top 10, with low ratings etc. I dunno. their handheld assault just seems weak.

It won't drive Sony into a grave no, but if the PS3 is another huge loss to Sony and sustains minimal marketshare then perhaps their gaming division will cease to be.
    suppose it is down to tastes. but I did open my mind and got VERY excited about PSP. only to feel it a pointless and dull machine. is this the Sony syndrome? Hype something until a dull machine comes out?

11. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

Which would be very bad. We'd see more Bungie to Microsoft things. You know, no Mac stuff. There has to be a diverse and competitive arena for stuff to progress. I love(d?) Bungie...

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

13. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

Funny! And true!

14. benyaimin macrumors member

15. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

There's a difference between units SHIPPED and units SOLD.

Listen to the rhetoric: Sony never gives SOLD numbers only SHIPPED.

16. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Shipped means that it shipped from the manufactuer in China to a warehouse.

17. sk1985 macrumors regular

Those stats are most likely true for the moment. However as technology in production advance the production of material gets easier and easier. By the time the PS3 launches, I'm IBM and Sony will figure out a way to make a good deal of Cell processors (there two of the world's largest companies with a ton of resources). It doesn't surprise me that sony or IBM doesn't have a 3.2. or 3.5 GHz chip ready (at the current moment they might only have 2.8 Ghz models ready). Sony must be banking that a 3.5 or a 3.2 GHz models will be ready by the time of PS3 production. They'll either be forced to delay the system for those chips or they'll just bring out whatever model is ready (i.e 2.8 Ghz). If the 3.2 or 3.5 Ghz chip is late by a few months or is in limited production, then thats good news for M$ and Nintendo.

18. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

No it's not.

19. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

haha what were you smoking ?:D

20. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

fanboy alert.

which is ironic me saying seeing as this thread is one fanboy bonanza

21. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I am not convinced we have really seen the final form factor and all the bits for the PS3. I expect to see a better refined form factor...

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

IBM chip yield has ALWAYS been piss poor on new chips. As mac users we should know this more than anyone. Keeping temperatures down, another thing IBM have never been able to master until late into a chips lifetime.

So is it really that surprising ?

Sny need to hit its deadline within the US & Japan.

IF they go ahead with 2.8ghz then expect all consoles to use 2.8 from now on. If the processor gets a speed boost later on it will be detremental to current/REV A purchasee's.

What I believe will happen, if crop yield continues to be a pain, is in October expect an announcement that Europe wont see the PS3 until after Christmas, possibly March/April 2007.

It's more important as I say to hit the USA and Japan with enough stock than to hit all three with very little. Or to delay three regions would be a NIGHTMARE.

I said all along that Sony's predicted amount of PS3's for launch will be very optimistic. They said they expect to have shipped 6 million by April 2007, BUT importantly they will be ramping up production at the end of this period to 1 million units per month, which working back the way, means that by November 06, there will only be around 1 million - 1.5 million units available for launch......

23. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

I like this guy's post on a very misleading piece of information that everyone seems to think about the Cell:

"On top of that 7 cores at 3.2 is gonna be blazingly hot. "

The Cell does NOT have 7 cores. SPE's do NOT equal cores. This is a common misconception. The Cell only has 1 core.

A core has it's own cache, and can act independently. An SPE doesn't have cache and is dependent upon the core. However, 6 of the SPE's can reliably be delegated tasks by the core in the PS3 (so each can handle a thread). However, the devs will have to painstakingly code for this unless they use the high-level tools provided by IBM. However, the high-level tools will deplete potential performance since it leaves them working less directly with the hardware.

Unless developers get to low-level programming with the Cell, they will never get close to their "theoretical maximums". The low-level programming is extremely difficult, which is why the high-level tools are provided. Even IBM can't meet the claims Sony makes about the Cell.

I'm not saying that the Cell won't be a capable processor, but people get the wrong idea about it way too often.

by SuicideNinja on 06/11/06 02:59 AM

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

25. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Ha ha......:)