Potential School Shooting (You heard it here first!)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rapmastac1, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Ok, so yesterday (well a few hours ago) was the game at my school. It was a football game between Viewmont High School (Centerville) and Davis High School. The ultimate rivals in the district (Viewmont lost, oh no, we won every single game except for the homecoming game and this one, which sucks so bad).
    Anyways, after the game, we have what is called a "Stomp". It's basically a dance where you don't ask anyone to it, you just go and dance, like in a club or something.
    I was working today and I got off at ten, just perfect time to get to the dance and have some fun before it's over. Well, my plans were killed. On my way to the dance, I called my friend. He told me not to go to the dance, apparently someone (Cam) pulled a gun during the dance and was immediatly handled by the Police. I don't know if he made any shots, or if anyone got hurt. I'll have to talk to more people.
    I thought it would be a bit interesting that you all hear it here first, and remember, when you see it on the news or read about it, you saw it here first. If you want search info for looking it up, the zip code is 84010 and the school's name is Viewmont High School (Bountiful Utah).
    Once anyone finds any more info on this, please post the link so we can all keep up to date. (This is exciting news, as I live in a small, boring town). lol. Peace out, good nite!

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Hmm, maybe not such a good idea naming the student allegedly involved. Legality issues everywhere, not to mention if it's not true it could be considered libellous although how that works on an anonymous web forum I don't know.

3. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

These things are getting out of hand. It's getting time to make the schools like the airports.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Bugger that, just get rid of the guns.

5. bartelby macrumors Core

Americans*, get rid of their guns?:eek:

*ok, not 100% of Americans have guns.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Unfortunately, you can't get rid of the guns easily in the U.S.A. since they're a part of the Bill of Rights. You also can't get much done with gun control because the National Rifle Association wants to control how things happen with guns.

It's sad when you have to worry in a small town but I'd say that everywhere in the U.S.A., people are waking up to reality a few at a time.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah I know it's in the Bill of Rights but surely, surely the fellas who wrote the Bill of Rights didn't have this in mind - guns that fire automatically many rounds per second, hand guns so powerful that a single shot could take a man's head clean off, and guns such as these being so easily obtainable by school kids and nut jobs.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind people owning proper sporting guns, used for sport shooting and nothing else (want protection? get a cricket bat, even then the intruder will still sue you) so long as they are properly secured and owned by people with the training and stability of mind to not whip them out and fire at any old dark shadow in a laneway.

From an outsider's perspective, it's most definitely out of control. Legislated rights to own a gun gives every man and his dog the power of life and death in a small package - that's just such a scary thought for me.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've made the same arguments and I live in the U.S.A. and have been around guns quite a bit and have even had two held on me.

Why in the world someone buys a semi-automatic weapon and claims it's for hunting is beyond me. Are those deer so ferocious? If they are ferocious to someone, they shouldn't be hunting.

The U.S.A. is a crazy, wonderful place full of contradiction. We're about to celebrate Columbus Day. This honours a drunken man who ran his ships aground in the Carribean Ocean, thinking that they were in India, and ordered the murder of native people.

The way I learned it, the founding fathers meant for the original documents to be updated regularly, to match the times. Obviously, this has not happened. The early cities still have obsolete laws and many of our federal laws just don't match anything concerning today. However, they'll say that by using Amendments to the Constitution, we are following their plans for us. I don't think they truly envisioned that one city would have more people than their whole 13 colonies at that time, that cars and planes would exist, or that people would run around killing each other and be idolised.

9. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

True enough, but don't expect national headlines. Kids pull guns at school everyday -- I wonder, in fact, how many guns (and weapons) were seized at public schools across the US yesterday alone.

Do link to a local news article if you can find one, though. Keep in mind there's every chance we could be dealing with a facsimile, part of a costume or wild rumors as well.

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'd always thought that reason that bearing arms was in the Bill of Rights was because when it was written, the US didn't have a standing army/law enforcement so the only way for it to defend itself was for its citizens to take up arms and do so. In the modern era, where neither of those apply since both army/law enforcement do exist, it's not quite so necessary.

11. Rapmastac1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I can see why you would want a gun for protection, but if everyone didn't have a gun, then all we really need is just a pocket knife of some sort. But, becuase of all the nut jobs out there, then they would need to be taken away too, and they would say all we need are our fists.

But you just have to think about it from all perspectives and decide where your stand is. Either you say, eh, screw all the nut jobs, let us all have guns for protection. Or you say, nope, too much danger there, let's take them all away. Or if you are nuetral, then that is too.

The only thing I can think of is raise the age to own guns, and do more thorough checks before giving a liscence out. We are only as good as our preventative measures.

The only thing I am worried about is how security is going to get at the schools. I don't think they should be anything like the airport, but just a bit more enhanced. I think metal detectors would be a good idea, but do you know how hard that would be? All the metal in a binder, an ipod, a laptop..? Then we would have to leave school a half an hour early just to make it on time, just like the airport.

But, there are some schools that have really high security. You cannot go anywhere for lunch, they have gates, metal bars over windows, and security officers all around. This isn't some juvenile school, this is a normal high school. I don't want schools to resort to that!

And remember, the root of the problem, as Rosie once said.
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people"

12. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

About the whole gun issue...it's not the fact that they exist, it's the fact that people use them in dumb ways and keep them in their homes in dumb places. If you leave the kid open access to the gun, that's just asking for trouble. Lock it up in a safe. Put a lock on the trigger. Take the bolt out and keep the bolt and gun separate if it's a rifle. Do whatever you gotta do to keep it safe. A lot of idiots just buy a handgun, throw the safety on, and keep it in a drawer with the bullets next to it. No. Keep it in a safe.

I own some rifles, some shotguns, and a few handguns, but they're in a safe that's well away from any of the children in the house. In fact, if we absolutely needed to protect ourselves in the house, it would be a pain to get to the safe and would most likely be the last resort. But we keep them in a safe place away from everyone and my family has made sure that everyone knows how to properly handle the gun and what to do with it and how to not point it at anyone. There needs to be some sort of firearm education more openly available to children so they know what the hell a gun really is and how dangerous it can be.

And even if you ban firearms totally, it's not going to mean ****. The people who use them in crimes don't buy them from a gun shop, they buy them from the back of a truck. The gangbangers, the criminals, and whoever else uses them illegally will not stop using them because they will always be available.

13. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I agree that guns shouldnt be allowed. I am in the UK and i have not heard of a school shooting. There have been multiple drive by shootings to do with gangland territory etc.

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

NRA controls the 2nd amendment? LOL

That won't solve our problem.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm real sure that is what everyone involved in a school shooting has thought. "Oh it's exciting! LOL"

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You laugh while people die at the NRA's expense in hiding where guns go.

17. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Dont expect much on the news my school and two others were the target of a fairly major attack (think bombs and shotguns) that was stoped. And then on the day the attack had been scheduled at least one other kid attempted to get in with a gun and was caught.

But not much was ever reported because they were attempting to protect the would be attackers (and nothing actually happened).

I knew a little more about it because the leader of the first group was my m8's ex room mate but i still only found out a little.

Ironically another of the would be attackers had won a significant sum of money (over a 100,000 dollars) out of the school system when he was forced to remove an NRA For Life t-shirt....

18. nickelbackmac macrumors regular

nickelbackmac

We had a shooting in our local school back in the 90's. Westside AR.

2 middle school kids who were never seen together pulled the fire alarm at Westside, causing everyone to come outside to where they were located and the shooting began. It's VERY sad, I forgot about it until I saw a show on A&E. In case you're interested, look out occasionally on A&E for something exactly or similar to A Shooting in Jonesboro. I know the school's Westside, but the title says Jonesboro.

Recently, a 9th grader at another nearby school, Nettleton Jr. High, made a "Molotov's Cocktail". Gasoline and a paper towel in a plastic bottle.

Jonesboro is getting so out of hand....

19. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

You're correct. The idea that it's in the Bill of Rights for hunting/sport-shooting is ridiculous.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Not much of a fan of guns, more of a bow and arrow/sword type guy. Especially given the fact that so many people who own guns don't know how to use, keep, or store them properly, often causing more harm then good. But I believe it's more important to worry about educating the legal owners, and trying to keep them out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them. Going after the illegal owners and sellers, and kids who definitely shouldn't have access to them.

How we do that better, I don't know. But I don't even like the idea of the gov trying to take them away from legal owners and responsible users. Not that anyone is actually trying to do that, contrary what some might say.

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Guns arent the issue, the issue is a society that produces these sicko's. Now the Republicans are talking about arming school teachers with guns. I have never heard of such stupid,scary,brain dead ideas. They think they can legislate human behavior. If someone is hell bent on destroying themself and others there is little anyone can do. Iraq is a perfect example. Another layer of paper,beaucracy and costs arent going to solve this issue. Looking into our societys problems may. Guns dont kill,People do.

22. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Were arming teachers now...thats a bad idea do u know how far a class of high school students can push a teacher? Sadly i'm not totally kidding a teacher who might already be in a hard place runs into a rough class of students and happens to have a gun BAAAAD IDEA.

23. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Americans have guns so that corrupt politicians can't turn into military dictators.

Kids have guns because of society influences and poor communications skills (too many hours on the playstation):rolleyes:
    My wife is a teacher and it concerns me that this is even :eek: possible:eek: but then there's sharks in the ocean, too. What can you do besides kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out!:cool:

24. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

Thomas Hamilton? Dunblane? He wasn't a student, but it was a shooting in a school that led to the strict gun laws we have in the UK.

25. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Well, you can always make a law stating that if a student does such a thing, that they're family will be executed for it. Though I don't think that'll work on a kid that is that looney. :(