Potential Set Up...Please give me the OK?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SavageLLama77, Feb 24, 2007.

1. SavageLLama77 macrumors regular

Hi Everyone,
    I plan on buying the following set up: MacBook Pro (2.16ghz, 1gb RAM, 128mb VRAM) w/ 30'' ACD. Will this set up work and run smoothly? Note that I don't plan to run any professional applications. I just want to have multiple tabs on Safari, open Mail, iTunes, iChat, and iWork with no slowdown. I really like streaming and watching lots of videos. So will this set up work, or do I seriously need more RAM and is the 128mb VRAM simply a joke when running a 30'' ACD? Thanks a lot.:)

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

haven't you started enough threads on your MBP + 30" yet? Honestly, what everyone here ACTUALLY thinks is that it's ridiculous you're even considering such a set up as a high school student not using any pro apps at all - it's a waste of money and power.

3. SavageLLama77 thread starter macrumors regular

Regardless of the logic involved, it would be great if you could comment ONLY on the TECHNICAL aspects of what I'm asking. I need help and opinions, which is what a forum is for. Thanks....

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You might want to upgrade to 256mb of vram if you are planning on driving a 30" external display

5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

My point is that you've gotten enough help and opinions, so why the need for more threads?

Yes, the 2.16 MBP will support the 30" just fine (which you could have researched yourself, since Apple clearly says so on the tech specs). You won't be doing anything with the computer to even come close to challenging it, so no, you won't notice one bit of lag. Enjoy.

6. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

8. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

You're going to spend over $4000 so you can have multiple safari tabs? :eek:

Don't get me wrong, I think it is an awesome setup and I personally have a MBP, but I also run Final Cut Studio on a daily basis and need a tremendous amount of power to process uncompressed HD video on the go.

Save you money and get a Black (or maxed white) MacBook w/ a 20" CD. It can handle your apps just fine. ;)

9. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Ridiculous. If you're swinging around that kind of money on overpriced Apple displays when you do NOTHING pro and just want multiple Safari tabs, I think you can buy it without creating MULTIPLE posts on here. Return it if you don't like it, or stuff it in a closet and blow another $4k.

Honestly. :rolleyes:

10. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Oh how I love being right...

11. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Macbook with 2GBs of RAM and a 24" Dell? A little over $2000.

Macbook Pro with a 30" Apple LCD that will be updated real soon? Over $4K.

Just make sure you are certain you'll be happy with spending that money. No doubt, it'll be one hell of a setup. It'll run smooth (Although, I'd opt for 256MB of video RAM to run a 30", like previously stated), and I'm certain you'll enjoy the display as well as the speed and responsiveness of the entire setup. And, if you do something a bit more intensive, just drop the secondary display for a little while until you finish the task. Intense Final Cut Pro or Aperture imports and editing might take a performance hit when the MBP is powering a 30" display. But you could just run those on the 15" display... (Or 17", if that's what you said in the OP...)

If you're in highschool, and you've worked hard for your money, then you should buy whatever you think will make you happy. I certainly like to splurge a little bit. But, is there any chance you could buy the setup I mentioned above, and still be just as happy? It'll suit your needs just fine, if all you really want to do is tabbed browsing. But if you think you'll kick yourself for not getting what you really wanted, then get the MBP and Apple Display.

12. SavageLLama77 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the extensive response, but could you just tell me the advantages of having 128mb VS 256mb of VRAM, specifically? Thanks :) And also thanks to everyone else for responding and putting up with these stupid posts of mine, believe me: I'm not crazy, I understand this is almost overkill, but I just want that awesome screen *drools* so thanks for the replies and mattcube it would be great if you could answer that question :)

13. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

fix't.

14. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert, so if I'm wrong here, anybody is welcome to correct me. I'm pretty sure that because of the large monitor and its UNGODLY high resolution, the video card is going to be used quite often to move around objects on the screen. If you're looking at huge images, and the entire screen is filled, the video card's RAM will fill up fast with texture data. With 128MB, once that's filled, it goes on to slower system RAM (It's not accessed as fast), which makes for a slight, or large, delay in responsiveness.

Even if that isn't 100% correct, I know PLENTY of people always suggest getting te 256MB card. It's just more "future proof." Think of it this way, isn't it worth spending an extra 1/40th of your entire purchase on an upgrade that will undoubtably help you out, even if it's slight?

15. SavageLLama77 thread starter macrumors regular

Why are you, the adult, acting less mature than me, a young adult?:confused:

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yup that about sums it up.

17. SavageLLama77 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the extensive response...again. But is the 256MB card upgrade really 1/40th of my entire purchase? The difference between the two 15'' MBP models (one containing 128MB and one 256MB) is $500, which, to me, is a lot considering I'm already buying a huge expensive monitor.

18. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

What about the better MBP and the 30" Dell (which is only $1350 versus $2k for the ACD)?

19. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Yet another post on this???? Enough already many people in this thread and the others you have started have called your plan foolish. If you want to buy the MBP and a 30 inch ACD then do it and stop posting about it repeatedly.

20. SavageLLama77 thread starter macrumors regular

Good question that has crossed my mind several times. I think of this monitor as a new piece of furniture. I will be keeping it all through college, without a doubt. So, obviously, I want it to look nice. The sleek silver chrome on the ACD looks beautiful, especially alongside an equally pretty MBP, which is also sleek and silver. When I look at the Dell 30'', I honestly don't like the plastic looking black and jagged/jutting out parts of the design; it looks very cheap and ugly to me (just personal preference...DONT FLAME!:( ). Also, the ACD seems to perform better in this cnet article http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6470175-7.html?tag=lnav, having the ACD also win in the 'Video' category, which is my priority in buying a display:)

21. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Oops, my bad. I thought the video card was a possible upgrade on the 15" base model MBP. I didn't realize you had to bump all the way up to the next model. Sorry.

Since that's the case, and it is a $500 difference, I'd not worry about 256MB of video RAM. Sure, it may be a bit more future proof, like I said. However, it's definitely not $500 worth of future proofing.

I don't mean to take sides here. And I know it's a big purchase. But at this point, I'd recommend just pulling the trigger. You seem pretty set on this setup. Buy it. Plain and simple. If you keep waiting, you'll keep getting cold feet. The only way you'll truly know if you'll be happy, is to actually own it.

22. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I still maintain my position that this is an obscene waste of money for the stuff you are doing. I would suggest you defer gratification and get a machine that fits the bill perfectly: an iMac or, of you need portability, a MacBook. They will easily do what you want them to do.

If you need a 30" ACD in college get it then. They will be better and brighter and likely cheaper by then as well.

I really want a 30" ACD as well, but I have to take these things rationally. Do I NEED a 30" ACD? No. Even editing HD video all day and I am fine with my 15" MBP and El Cheapo 15" flat panel. Yes, someday I will have a 30" ACD, but at the moment there is no logical reason to spend $2000 on a dead sexy screen. ;) :D

It seems to me that you are doing what I used to do (and still often catch myself doing) which is rationalizing an irrational purchase. Believe me, I have thought (more than once) about an ACD as a piece of amazing Apple furniture that I will keep forever and almost slapping down my credit card right then and there.

By all means, it is your money and your stuff, and no amount of arguing on my part is going to stop you form making the purchase of your dreams. If you go ahead with the purchase I congratulate you, but I would implore you to take a serious step back and really weigh all the options from an über logical standpoint. :)

23. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

You sure are buying a worthless piece of furniture. The ACD does nothing buy display input from a DVI-D source. That is it. You can't connect anything else to it without a USB dongle or an expensive box.

I am not going to beat around the bush here. You are wasting your money. And I guarantee when you feel that hit you, there will be a "FS/FT: 30" ACD + MBP, trade for a Macbook + 20"

Seriously. You don't even need a MBP let alone a 256MB graphics card. If you want to blow your cash, thats all fine and dandy. But THINK about what you are doing, and get over the "but I just want that awesome screen" and the drooling and think about what you do. You browse the web. Ok....

Let me put this into perspective for you. I do graphic design and photography. I also browse the web with multiple tabs and listen to music blah blah blah.

Can I afford a 30" ACD, of course. Can I afford a MBP, of course. Do I NEED them, no. And I make money one what I do. I have a MB and a 20" Dell. Why? Because i got a deal on the 20" and the MB is small enough for me to take on the go. At home I hook it up to my 20" and use my BT KB and MM and I have my 320GB FW backup waiting for me.

Practicality and learning how to spend responsibly. You question someone else maturiry for point this out to you (not the first time someone has said it) but you need a lesson in maturity and responsiblity.

#1, you will be at college. Do you know how many people are there? You will have a roommate(s), who will be in your room when you are gone? What if someone forgets to lock the door? Goodbye ACD, and if the MBP is there too, goodbye.

Having $4000 worth of equipment in a dorm, is, well.... stupid. That is reason enough to NOT buy these things. Wait til you are done or live in an apartment where you control the ongoings. And get renters insurance.

I don't know if you told us how you were paying for this yet. I am curious to know.

24. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I just got a budget 22" BenQ monitor with a brushed aluminum frame that is a nice aesthetic match for my Mac Mini. It has the same resolution as my 20" Dell 2007 but is a bit bigger, which my eyes find easier to look at 10 hr per day.

If you can stand the smaller size and undoubtedly lower color quality, the BenQ was CAN$399... about 1/5th the price of the Apple.

25. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

One word: Calibration.

And I will say this as said in the last thread. If video is your priority get a television that has more options for video input.

The Dell is far from ugly. I love an ACD, don't get me wrong. But here again, you are trying to rationalize it. The Dell does heaps more and at a lower cost.