Potential Software to Record Dreams

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by XnavxeMiyyep, Dec 14, 2008.

1. macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24785363-23109,00.html

Sounds pretty cool. I would definitely keep recordings of my dreams.

Supposedly, the attached image is from early versions of their technology, although I'm going to have to look for a better source for it.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 601

Schtumple

That would amazing, I'd love to watch back my dreams, analyse them etc, I guess that's pretty sad, but it's amazing how far technology is coming these days, to be able to do this is extraordinary...

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Nothing wrong with that. I try to write down my dreams, although I forget to do it a lot, and then I forget the details of my dreams! This would make things much easier, plus I'd get a movie!

4. macrumors 68040

plinden

Hmm, there's something familiar about that clip art of the computer in the middle. What could it be?

Anyway, I suspect the only way this worked was to record brain activity while looking at different letters, then display "NEURON" and compare. And it would likely work for only one person. Of course, I'm not a neuroscientist and don't know how advanced things are these days.

5. macrumors 601

Schtumple

I've begun drawing out key frames that seemed important, some are very surreal.

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Do you keep a pencil and paper right next to your bed? I have pretty vivid dreams, but I usually forget all the details shortly after waking up.

7. macrumors 601

Schtumple

I can remember some dreams for a few days, but I forget the really small details after after a few hours though.

8. thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Hmm... I'll definitely have to try this.

9. macrumors 601

Schtumple

Forgot to say, I don't keep a pen and paper by my bed, I just draw down the most interesting dream that I had, I only have a few drawings so far, but I started drawing weeks and weeks ago, some dreams are too bland, others I don't even remember when I wake up.

10. thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Cool. I guess it's time to work on my sketching abilities.

11. macrumors 65816

This technology is incredible! I'll be eagerly watching to see where it leads to.

I've created an entire photography series based on dreams caused by the nicotine patch. Dreams are fascinating...

[​IMG]

photograph series

12. macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Honestly, there are some of my dreams I would rather not revisit. But, on the other hand, there are some pretty steamy ones I wouldn't mind seeing again.

13. macrumors 68020

Brien

14. macrumors 601

Schtumple

Imagine what they could do if they used a Mac Pro :eek:

15. macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Is anyone else slightly disturbed by this idea? I don't really like the idea of a computer being able to read my mind. If they were really able to do this then one's thoughts would not be private anymore. It's frightening to think of the ways in which this could be used...

16. macrumors 6502a

drichards

17. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Dude, I'd be labelled a sicko and would go straight to jail or something. :eek:

18. macrumors 6502a

drichards

19. macrumors 6502

The ones I do remember are probably memories from my past life when I had schizophrenia. I've never had a dream that actually made sense in any way.

But I forget them within seconds of waking up, so I wouldn't mind having them recorded...

As for the implications, I dunno, I think many, if not most people have more or less "forbidden" thoughts from time to time. If this technology were available to the masses, I wouldn't be surprised for otherwise very taboo subjects to become perfectly OK to discuss.

20. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

"Hmmm, I have a cucumber, a dead baby, a horse, a full house (Ace high), plumber ass, a calico cat, and a nail-gun. What to do, what to do......"

21. macrumors 6502

Aw, don't worry, you'll think of something. Can I pet the cat in the meantime?

22. macrumors Core

Dagless

Holy hell that's amazing. I've always been big on dreams and have 2-3 big ones I remember a night, would be ace to record them.

Wonder if this could also be used to get people in a persistent vegetative state or similar to communicate? That would an epic leap.

23. macrumors newbie

Im sure that this will be developed and used. However I doubt that this will "ever" be available for "normal" people. The powers that be will never allow this to even have a hint of being available.