Potential Swicher, A-level Student

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ivanovich, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Ivanovich macrumors member

Hi, after many years of using Windows based computers (first one was my dad's 286), I'd like to see if I can switch, but I will still use Windows for gaming. I plan to buy a 24" iMac with an upgraded graphics card, RAM and maybe Hard Drive.

The catch is as I'm still in 6th form I'm unsure on where I can get the largest discount. I found a NUS (National Union of Students) Apple Store online, but I do not know if having for a NUS Associate Card for 6th Formers will allow me to purchase anything there.

I know of the normal Edu Store, but was wondering what other options are there?

I am applying for University to start in Sept. 2007, if that helps. I live close to London so it could be possible going to an Apple Store.

2. daneoni macrumors G4

Mar 24, 2006
    All i can say is give it a shot, life is all about taking risks. The payoff would be nice wouldnt it?
  3. JDN macrumors 6502a

Sep 7, 2006
    Lund Sweden {London England}
    All the prices in the Apple Store are more expensive than online, even with the Edu discount. I live in London also, bought my MBP in July. Call the free phone order number. Talk to them. I cant seem to remember them asking for any proof i was a student, and i got it at the same price my mate got his when ordering it off the Uni Campus network which is linked to the Uni edu discount site online.

I say call them. The call centre is in Ireland, great service in my experience, couldnt be more helpfull.

[edit] This is my first Mac too. It is so worth it!! OS X is so much more user friendly than windows. Its so much nicer to live with. Buy it!!
  4. Ivanovich thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys! So what would be the best option, once I've got the NUS Card, phoning or buying online?

Also should I get a RAM upgrade from Apple or can anyone reccomend somewhere UK-based to look at? I'm looking at getting 2GB.

Anything else I should be aware of, first Mac and all?

I've got a 5.1 surround sound headset that connects via 4 3.5mm jacks (3 for sound & one for the mic) and tips on hooking it up to the iMac?

How long does it take to setup (including user accounts, bootcamp and installing XP)?

Thanks again
  5. amac4me macrumors 65816

Apr 26, 2005

Congrats on your decision to make the switch.

Although getting RAM from Apple is more expensive, I would recommend it you can afford paying the extra. The end result is less headache in my view.

You should set aside a good 3 - 4 hours to setup your new Mac with Boot Camp and the Windows installation.
  6. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Only half an hour if you want to skip the Boot Camp/XP installation.

Less actually, I bought my iBook, turned it on and was on the net within 10 minutes, it's a little longer now because Tiger has to index your system for Spotlight which slllooowsss evverythinggg dooowwwnnn for a while but once it's done it will fly.
  7. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    Yeah, Windows install is lengthy. Then again, so is Tiger install...
  8. themaze macrumors newbie

Sep 17, 2006
    yeah but you normally need to install tiger once, windows on the other hand.... i enjoy watching my friends format and reinstall XP everY 2 or 3 months.
  9. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    You will need a full retail Windows XPSP2 CD to install Windows under BootCamp.

RAM prices are peaking right now because of back to school demands.

I would definitely get the 7600GT if you can afford the upgrade and compare
    Apple's price for their RAM against quality 3rd party vendors.

At the moment the 2.33 GHz processor upgrade might give you slight performance boost, but 2 GB RAM is far more important.
  10. Ivanovich thread starter macrumors member

Okay I'm sending off the NUS 6th Formers Card either today or tomorrow, once it arrives I will likely be ordering the 24" iMac, with the following specifications:

* 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
    * NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM
    * 500GB Serial ATA drive
    * Keyboard & Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X
    * EMEA CC-HE contract uplift iMac/eMac
    * 24-inch TFT display
    * 8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±RW, CD-RW)
    * AirPort Extreme
    * Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

I've copied that off the online Apple store. Is there a way to convert the audio optical out to three 3.5mm jacks or where should ask?

For XP I might wait a while until I buy it, but when I do I'll order it from here, http://http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10277615&pid=208&rstrat=3417

Would it be worthwhile to use nlite to slipstream all updates and such onto a XP disk, once I've bought it?

Once I've got I'll see if I can do any benchmarks on it, e.g. Half Life 2