potential 'switch' candidate

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by staka69, May 21, 2005.

1. staka69 macrumors member

I'm debating on making a jump from a Windows world to Apple cuz features like isync/ical/iphoto seem really cool BUT a few things are holding me back.

1) Tiger, seem really cool, what Longhorn only hopes to be someday, BUT I have read/ seem many problems with the OS such as the widgets bug or how there is an update already cuz of minor problems. If this would have occured with a new microsoft OS, there would have been some major bashing saying stuff like 'typical microsoft' releasing an unfinished/buggy OS. Just curious why no 'Tiger' bashing or is there, maybe cuz the Apple world is so much smaller than the Windows world (in terms of number of users).

2) I will never buy a desktop again cuz I like the option of mobility, so that leaves me with the PB's, BUT I don't want to shell out $2500 bucks for something that seems dated? I think for that kind of money you should get a top of the line video card (256mb) and processor (yes I know the G4 is great but why no G5?, again I know cuz of a heat issue with the chip). I would be willing to shell out that kind of money for a pentium M with a top of the line video card, but I really want to switch to a PB cuz Apple's laptops are so much sexier than any Windows laptop.

3) My current 20gig ipod is a windows version but I plan on upgrading to a 60 gig or higher if a new ipod comes out soon, so this is another reason to switch to a PB.

Anyway, your thoughts, especially on why no Tiger bashing seen how many little problems have popped up since it was released?

Thanks,

Mike

2. ChemicalGeoff macrumors member

1. I too have noticed the large amount of Tiger problems being reported here. However i have concluded that a lot of it is picking holes in an OS so much better than Windows that all there is left to do is to pick out fairly unimportant bugs. Obviously some of these problems are important but that wil be the same with any operating system.

2. As far as I can tell, and i am no expert. Fitting a G5 processor into a thin laptop form factor is thermally prohibited. E.g. put it on your lap and you will have no legs left by the end. However as I have noticed G4 processors are far from dated and will prove plenty powerful.

3. Depending on what generation your iPod is you can swap between windows and mac anyway. However you will need to wipe the iPod :( (I will have to wipe my 20GB when my PM arrives too, how sad)

Hope this helps.

Geoff

3. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

1. Bear in mind the overall interpretation you will get of any apple product on these pages will be heavily biased negatively - very rarely do people post "All's well here - great!" and everyone else chime in! For a huge majority of people, their Macs work great with no probs.

2. When considering the purchase of any computer the first thing is to consider what you're going to use the computer for - please post back to tell me this, and I'll try to extrapolate how well a PB G4 will serve you. Remember you pay for portability.

3. Macs can read and write to Windows-formatted iPods, so no worries - if you don't want to encode all your music back a program called "podworks" i use is great for ipod>itunes on the Mac. I will assume you will use it legally.

- Yes that's right, Apple try their best to make it easy to work with windows "standards".

Hope I was a help, am being called a newb on other threads :( 5 years of Mac computing for that :( :(

4. ChemicalGeoff macrumors member

Awww man, don't worry i'll always be more of a n00b than you!

EDIT:

Also your avatar is the don.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

every OS release is going to have bugs and issues, you hear about the problems because people dont say anything unless there is an issue. Problems arise, its a matter of fact, oh well. the reason for 4.1 already is that Apple was already working on it before 4.0 was even released. they try to get updates and issues resolved asap.

6. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

As Will Smith recently advised:
    "Switch, keep it going now, SWITCH, turn around and: SWITCH"
    Sorry couldn't resist with all these switching threads! :)

7. staka69 thread starter macrumors member

Well my main reason to switch would be to sync my new cell phone & edit video/pics I take with my new digital camera. I know that a G4 PB could handle that but what about furure-proof, as it is iChat appears to be incompatible with a PB (or at least hosting a multi-conference session, again shouldn't $2500 bucks get you this). I doubt I would ever use a multi-video session but you never know. The G4 seems great but what about down the road kind of stuff.

Very confused, I might look at a 20" iMac and just keep my 1ghz 3-year old laptop for 'downloading' stuff.

Security is not a "big" issue with me cuz I usually keep windows/norton up to date, even though its a pain in the butt. Plus using Firefox & thunderbird have helped, but now they are having issues with security.

8. ChemicalGeoff macrumors member

9. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Of course it can do all that stuff, and of course you are worried for the future: the G4 has been around A LONG TIME!
    But still, the 1.67GHz G4 has been likened to a 1.6GHz G5 (in threads I've read - i can't back this up with proof), and so is pretty nippy.
    Yeah, the HD stuff on G4s worries me too.

The best advice I can give is just to get one and stop worrying about it being the "fastest" etc.
    Running 10.4.1 on a PB G3 500MHz Pismo (~5 years old) and running fine. All i did was add 256MB RAM (To a total of 384MB) for OS 10.2 a year or two ago. As long as you can live without certain eye candy and the latest and greatest apps, I wouldn't worry about getting a PB now (or at least after WWDC soon)

10. staka69 thread starter macrumors member

I have a sony-erricson 637 & my camera is a sony DSC-M1 (great still/video camera).

I'm a tech. gadget junkie so I think all of the Tiger hype is working on me, great job Apple.

Speaking of which, I saw the first Windows XP TV commercial a few days ago, something about a kid & his grandfather looking at stars.

11. ChemicalGeoff macrumors member

Well if you go to This Website you can download floats mobile agent which will not only sync but completely control every aspect of your phone in a l33t styleé.

But buy a mac, seriously!

And those adverts are so lame... you'd think MS would have to be in serious trouble to have to advertise windows!

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I called you a relative newb to Macrumors so you going off on a Macrumors etiquette crusade and complaining about other MR newbies not searching or using complex thread titles did seem a little rich, given there are a lot of people who have been around a lot longer and learned to live with it for better or worse. :rolleyes:

I certainly wasn't calling into question your experience using Macs or the help you've given others. ;)

13. staka69 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks folks, seen how its the 4th cloudy/rainy weekend in a row here in Boston (only near 50 degrees F right now, where is spring?) there will be no roller blading for me today. I might take a 10 minute drive to compusa, fiddle with a PB & iMac just so I can get a feel for it, then order online.

Thanks,

Mike

14. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Sony Ericsson work WICKED-COOL with Macs.
    "Salling Clicker" will let you do powerpoint, iTunes remote, DVD player remote etc etc etc.
    iSync will work straight away - shove all the contacts from your phone onto your PB if you want!
    Also camera will be fine! From the horses mouth:
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...oryName=&ProductSKU=DSCM1&TabName=specs&var2=
    It says:
    USB OS Driver Support: Microsoft® Windows® 98, 98SE, 2000 Professional, Me, XP Home and Professional; Macintosh® OS 9.1, 9.2/X (v10.0 - 10.3)

15. ChemicalGeoff macrumors member

They Do?! Sweet!

I refuse to ask how... i must learn this mac stuff on my own.

Now if only i'd sprung for that Bluetooth adapter!

Curses!!!!!

16. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Well perhaps I just don't like to capitulate to "live with it for better or worse"? :rolleyes: What's with all the :rolleyes: eh? :rolleyes:
    Anyway, this kind of comment is off topic. PM me if you want to Apologise :rolleyes:

:p ;) :D

17. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Dope!
    I've got one of these and they work probably faster than the internal BT. You can get them cheaper than linked though - shop around.
    Look into a program called "phoneagent" (www.versiontracker.com is a good place to start). Also, as I said before "Salling Clicker".

Enjoy :)

18. ChemicalGeoff macrumors member

Thanks!

I hate to ask this as a) It's off topic and b) I'm sure a squillion people have already asked (i did search for it but to no avail) but can one add an internal BT card to the PM or do i have to get a dongle?